Question for those who use JJ High-Gain Preamp Kit in MKIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lights Out

Reaction score
Hi
Im thinking of ordering the High-Gain Preamp kit from Bob @ Eurotubes
Im wondering if there is much added gain from his select High Gain preamp Tubes & is there much improvment in tome etc ?

Or is it all hype ?

Thanks

Hey,

If you do a search on this board for "eurotubes", there are plenty of people testifying how much better their boogies sounded after the jj replacements. I think I'll pick up a set for myself!

I don't know if it's the "High-Gain" 12ax7's, or just the fact that they are JJ's and not Sovteks, but my Mark IV sounds incredible. The Cleans are so Fendery and rich. The Lead channel has some serious distortion now too.

I am running the amp with 4 - 6V6's, so I can get some serious tones at much lower volumes.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with Channel 2. It is a bit flubby when I set the Clean channel the way I like it.

Monsta-Tone said:
Now I just need to figure out what to do with Channel 2. It is a bit flubby when I set the Clean channel the way I like it.

Use the pull fat and or the pull presence on channel 2 and or assign the EQ to channel 2. Dont know what you already tried though.

I hear what your saying Btown
But reading the reviews on the seller wesite would be a
bit one sided in the reviews ..you know

I might try them. Everywhere you go everyone is stoked on JJ's.

I dont know if I'll like them but if the cost is reasonable what the hey.

Its when tubes go for super high bucks and your not going for original tubes for a vintage collectable amp that I start to think forget it.

How many more highs or lows are you going to get. If my MKIV had any more gain it would be a blur. Sometimes I think my Lonestar could use a hair more gain. Than again the Lonestars not about monster gain anyway.

The thing I really think about is when guys swear a certain tube has changed the whole amp. I've yet to put in any tube that truly changed a whole amp. Differences tend to be somewhat particular.

Maybe I'm wrong. One way to find out though.

Use the pull fat and or the pull presence on channel 2 and or assign the EQ to channel 2. Dont know what you already tried though.

I was afraid that I would have to set the EQ to Channel 2 if I wanted to get a good tone out of it.

I have it pretty much EQ'd for the most Fendery ( I know it's not a Fender, but it came from one) Clean with just a little bit of breakup.

I might settle for a Jazzy Clean tone for Channel 2.

As for the JJ's, they sound great in, Fender, Marshall & Mesa amps but sounded like mud in my Soldano. Believe it or not, the Sovteks & Electo-Harmonix sounded best in the Soldano. I think that the Sovteks & EH's are too harsh for the Mark IV, but the stock Mesa tubes sound really good in my Rectoverb.

I think that every amp, or type of amp, has it's preference of tube.

I'm not sure if it's the JJ's or just the fact that there are no more Sovteks in my Mark IV, but the tone is much more robust and the Feel is incredibly touch sensitive.

It all comes down to what type of cabinet, guitar, settings, style, etc., you are using. What is the so-called "Holy-Grail" for me might not even sound good to you. Most Bass players will tell you that most of their tone comes from their fingers. They seem to experiment more with guitars, pickups & strings than amps, and are usually drunk (aren't all Bass players drunk), but I think that the statement is fairly true.

I've seen great guitarists use a Peavey Backstage Plus & an old Les Paul or PRS and get the most incredible tones out of the setup. They hand the guitar to me, and the tone is instantly sucked into the vortex.

When I emailed Bob I was concerned that the high Gain Preamp valves would effect the clean tone . Bobs reply was something like there isnt a 12ax7 around that can effect the clean tone. Which is good news

But Im wondering how much difference in Gain have you guys noticed after the Tube swap ?

I was just playing the Mark IV last night.

I maxed the Gain & the Volume for Channel 1 and only got a little breakup. I tried this with a Strat & a PRS CU24. I think your Cleans are safe.

As for a noticeable amount of Gain: I think the amp sounds like I took the blanket off of it. Before, it sounded like it was trying too hard, not it really breathes.

I bought a used mark III that had been a bit neglected...no tubes changes for over 7 years! Well, I ordered a set of JJ preamp tubes and a couple Svetlana 6L6's and put them in my amp. Oh my god. This is my first tube amp so I might be easy to impress but geez! Anything I play sounds incredible out of it!!!!

I don't have much to compare it to, but I give those JJ tubes a thumbs up for sure!

Joe

It's funny though, the JJ's don't sound good at all in my Soldano Lucky 13. Believe it or not, the Sovteks & Electro-Harmonix sound better in it.

The JJ's make it too dark.

They sound great most Fender, Marshall, & Mesa amps though.

Monsta-Tone said:
It's funny though, the JJ's don't sound good at all in my Soldano Lucky 13. Believe it or not, the Sovteks & Electro-Harmonix sound better in it.

The JJ's make it too dark.

They sound great most Fender, Marshall, & Mesa amps though.

Agreed !!!!

I use C9's and GT 12AX7M's in the V1 and V5 of the SLO 100.

IMHO, JJ's dont do it for me in a Boogie. I bought a IIC+ with a brand new set of the JJ high gain's and matched PI. I yanked them within 5 minutes. Too muddy.

Boogiebabies, I wonder if the MK IIc+ reacts differently to the JJ over the MKIV ?
Im asking because most MKIV users seem to like the JJ's

Lights Out said:
Boogiebabies, I wonder if the MK IIc+ reacts differently to the JJ over the MKIV ?
Im asking because most MKIV users seem to like the JJ's

When I get a chance, I will try them in my MK IV. I would rather give my opinion on the topic based on the MK IV.

The JJ's seem to be a bit darker than other modern tubes. I use them in amps that tend to have a bright sound, Marshall, Fender, etc.

In amps that sound more dark, I tend use Electr-Harmonix.

In my personal amps, I tend to experiment with different tubes in each position to get the best tone possible.

In my Soldano I have Sovtek, Groove Tube (Chinese), Electr-Harmonix, & JJ's. It sounds incredible.

If someone could help me with this question i would appreciate much ; )

Ok, im most likely going to get the recommended mesa power tubes 6L6 440's.

But how do some "good" el34's in general compare?

Should i just go with standard mesa preamp tubes or JJs?

Im playing out of a Mark III C++

Which set of tubes/preamps is going to give me the most gain/sustain but let every string shine through when i play a full chord?

My other equipment is a Gibson LP 1960 - Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis pickups

and a Marshall 4x12 with 25w Celestion Green Backs

Back