Pot issue!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIG4FUN

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
hehe haha NO not THAT kind....

When I "lift" the bass knob on my C+ while it is pulled it cuts in/out in a few spots. Has anyone had this happen and seen it go away with a spray cleaning of the pot? If so I will tear into it tomorrow. Please suggest.

I hate to put a new post up for a simple issue like this (it better be a simple issue!). I did search and read stuff, but I am still wanting to know your experience with that.

I was jamming LOUD (rattling things...) and I heard it lift bass in/out! So when I did investigate things, I found this to be a pot issue. haha

HOW DO I clean it? Do I do it from inside the chassis (are there some holes to squirt cleaner in?) or pull the back knob and squirt it down the shaft... like hehehe you know...

i figured this was a funny "deal" hehaha

the movement of things in the smallest of ways was enough to wiggle the shaft I suppose....

I think the previous owner never moved it. I on the other hand did a few times. SO now, I suppose the old resin caused an issue.

Just get some contact cleaner and spray it in there, should clear it up, eh?

Give it one spray, pop it in and out, and spin the pot from 0 to 10 a few times, then give it another quick spray and do it again, that should clear up any goo hiding in there. Also a good idea to do this on your guitar volume/tone pots from time to time to keep away any crackling that may occur with volume swell notes or otherwise. Use it on your pup selector too.

As for how to get in there... you should be able to do it ok just by popping off the knob and spraying in there.

mrd said:
Just get some contact cleaner and spray it in there, should clear it up, eh?

Give it one spray, pop it in and out, and spin the pot from 0 to 10 a few times, then give it another quick spray and do it again, that should clear up any goo hiding in there. Also a good idea to do this on your guitar volume/tone pots from time to time to keep away any crackling that may occur with volume swell notes or otherwise. Use it on your pup selector too.

As for how to get in there... you should be able to do it ok just by popping off the knob and spraying in there.

Thank you. I was hoping to not have to pull it out of the wood.

I sprayed from the front with the amp tilted to get it in there (knob off) and it is better but not correct. I need to pull the pot all the way out and then let if go back about .015" to be made, and then NOT jiggle it anymore. If I pull the chassis out can I clean the pot better?

You have to open the chassis and access the back of the pot,spray goes in the openeing in the pot body.Spraying it on the shaft with just the knob removed will only clean your face plate-nothing gets in the pot that way.

stokes said:
You have to open the chassis and access the back of the pot,spray goes in the openeing in the pot body.Spraying it on the shaft with just the knob removed will only clean your face plate-nothing gets in the pot that way.

and I trusted that pot head.... I figured when I was doing that it was just giving the front panel a good cleaning.... (and my face).

I've had to replace pots on some of my Boogies as well. Just changed the treble pull pot on a DC-10. No amount of cleaner would fix that problem. A little scratchy is one thing but when they move/wiggle around I just change them.

Back