New Guy, new to me amp: Subway Rocket

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 84524

Reaction score
I picked this up Friday evening. Had a minor issue with the treble pot. Would lose almost all volume. (My fix after messing with it a bit was to put a piece of folded paper to shim the pot into place.)
20230203_201626.jpg

Opened it up to find the case of the treble pot was super loose and prongs sprung almost open. this allowed the signal path to be almost severed at the treble pot. Removed the pot from the chassis, tightened the prongs on the case, and viola!, I have a perfecty functioning amp.
20230204_122900.jpg

Appears to be from the 1st year of production based upon the info I can find the Mesa website. Now I want to get a replacement logo emblem jubecause it looks naked without.

I reached out to ask a question and on a Saturday got an almost immediate response from the Mesa Boogie customer service. Got the manual, schematic, tube layout in a matter of minutes. Was going to just replace the pot, before I had opened it up to find the issue. I am guessing someone pulled on the knob a bit too hard. I almost made the same mistake reinstalling the chassis in the cabinet.

I am really enjoying messing about with the amp, haivng the manual made a big difference since I didn't realize the tone stack was so sensitive to the mid control and once I found out about the boost and played a bit more with the bass and presence I was really happy with the tone of the contour and clean settings.

I also found out that the pedal from my Fender SCX2 works (though the LEDs do not sadly), so I could go through the modes without needing to reach for the switch every time. The only thing is that it pops loudly going from the rhythm to the lead mode and back. I am wondering if the switch is not quite right for the job, the switching matrix has an issue or if that is just normal for the amp.
1675660460538.png

Attachments

• 20230203_202525.jpg
    20230203_202525.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 0
Nice. I have the later reverb model and it does have a bit of switching noise, which I believe is normal. It’s less noticeable if the guitar is muted. Not sure about the LED issue though.

Latest posts

Back