Post your rig part 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
guitarrhinoceros said:
I was directly commenting on the notion that it was a "post your rig" thread. Let me put it another way -- are all of these pictures of people's rigs, as in what they use when they gig? That is what I've always thought of when I used the phrase, "let's see your rig."

My rig is very modest. I used to have three amps, then tried the stereo thing last summer, and had four guitars at the most. I got rid of the stuff I didn't use though and settled on just the things I need to make music. I honestly don't have anywhere to put two half stacks and a combo! So I settled on a combo, a few guitars, and a pretty large pedalboard.

I like the rigs I see on here. I'm not envious, just curious. I've been there, done that. It didn't work for me, but I am interested in knowing how it works for everyone else. There is just so much to haul, setup, control, organize, maintain when hauling around a stereo rig. I'm interested to know how some of these people seemingly are able to do all of it. :)

I think a number of us have managed to collect more than we actually use at each gig. I know I have a bunch of amps, a small mountain of cabs, pedals and a bunch of guitars... but when I gig I'm a minimalist.

So with that in mind should I only be showing my "Rig"?

IMG_4842.jpg

Or can I show all my crap?

7339570452_bc9dc832d2_c.jpg

Because while the first picture may more accurately be my rig it doesn't really tell the whole story.

IMG_4848.jpg

^I'm pretty much the same. I have a boatload of crap then there's a 2x12 plus preamp processor/power amp that i use for gigs. there's just something about having options beside modelling during home recordings that I like...

lespaulguy32 said:
Cool! I personally would probably love the tone that you've probably got going on... I'm a real recto guy, but them Electra Dynes can scream really nicely!

The Electra Dyne is an interesting amp. It has the huge tubby bottom end of a Recto, but the vibe is much more British. Vintage Hi just screams for leads and it is much more elastic and expressive than a Recto. Vintage Lo is just magic. It is definitely not a high gain tone, but is much more of a crunch channel which excels in the edge of breakup realm as well as classic rock rhythm tones. It's complex, extremely smooth, and easy on the ears. It is nice and sparkly with a light pick attack and then it starts to snarl more with more aggressive playing. It's a captivating, open, uncompressed, and clear beauty compared to the thick, biting, percussive aggression of a recto. What I play depends entirely on my mood! The oversized 2 x 12 sounds GIGANTIC which is fun.

screamingdaisy said:
I think a number of us have managed to collect more than we actually use at each gig. I know I have a bunch of amps, a small mountain of cabs, pedals and a bunch of guitars... but when I gig I'm a minimalist.

Dude, you bought half the guitar store!!! The Gibson and Mesa products were temporarily cleaned out!!!
I love your mini Mark V stack, the vertical height must be fantastic for hearing yourself and the small size is easy on the back for gigs!!!

I'd say my Electra Dyne mini halfstack would be for gigging but depending on what was required, I might take the Recto. For guitars I'm more inclined to take my Godin.

YellowJacket said:
Dude, you bought half the guitar store!!! The Gibson and Mesa products were temporarily cleaned out!!!

I nearly doubled my kit when the market started tanking after 2008. I started buying stuff up on (sometimes huge) discounts figuring I could sell stuff to offset the cost... little did I realize the bottom would totally fall out of the market and that I'd wind up on the hook for everything unless I was willing to sell my other stuff at a huge loss.

I love your mini Mark V stack, the vertical height must be fantastic for hearing yourself and the small size is easy on the back for gigs!!!

I prefer the sound of the Recto 2x12 but I typically play un-mic'd; the open back cab makes it easy to hear and spreads the sound out well.

I'd say my Electra Dyne mini halfstack would be for gigging but depending on what was required, I might take the Recto. For guitars I'm more inclined to take my Godin.

I really want to try gigging the ED but I gig infrequently and the Mark V is predictable for me. I know it'll sound good regardless of the size of the room, the composition of the band or the limits placed on my volume level.

Yes, I've never been down with open back cabs but I could see where they'd be great live!

The Electra Dyne is definitely a fussy amp compared to the V. I find that as the master comes up, it starts to get more bassy, especially with the ported 1 x 12. Rule of thumb live was to drop the volume (gain) back, turn down the bass, and turn up the mids.

YellowJacket said:
Yes, I've never been down with open back cabs but I could see where they'd be great live!

The Electra Dyne is definitely a fussy amp compared to the V. I find that as the master comes up, it starts to get more bassy, especially with the ported 1 x 12. Rule of thumb live was to drop the volume (gain) back, turn down the bass, and turn up the mids.

I actually borrow cabs depending on whether the venue has them. I plan to get either two closed back Recto 2x12s, or 1 closed back 4x12 just to have more fullness and bottom end. I won't even have to mic it!

screamingdaisy said:
guitarrhinoceros said:
I was directly commenting on the notion that it was a "post your rig" thread. Let me put it another way -- are all of these pictures of people's rigs, as in what they use when they gig? That is what I've always thought of when I used the phrase, "let's see your rig."

My rig is very modest. I used to have three amps, then tried the stereo thing last summer, and had four guitars at the most. I got rid of the stuff I didn't use though and settled on just the things I need to make music. I honestly don't have anywhere to put two half stacks and a combo! So I settled on a combo, a few guitars, and a pretty large pedalboard.

I like the rigs I see on here. I'm not envious, just curious. I've been there, done that. It didn't work for me, but I am interested in knowing how it works for everyone else. There is just so much to haul, setup, control, organize, maintain when hauling around a stereo rig. I'm interested to know how some of these people seemingly are able to do all of it. :)

IMG_4842.jpg

Or can I show all my crap?

7339570452_bc9dc832d2_c.jpg

Because while the first picture may more accurately be my rig it doesn't really tell the whole story.

IMG_4848.jpg

You've got some kickass gear, man! By the way, I'm loving that Jerry Cantrell wah!

My gear is scattered between my apartment here in Georgia (I'm military) and at my dad's house in Illinois.
318775_10151495531448569_726907104_n.jpg

This is my new rig I traded an 09 Yamaha Raptor 700R for... Hell of a deal IMHO

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Half stack
TC Electronics G-Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer
ISP Noise Gate
Monster Power Surge/filter
Mini Amp Gizmo switch
Rocktron Midi pedal

Fender 50's roadworn "gilmourized"
Fender standard w/ DG-20 "gilmouized"

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10151499306483569
Some of my settings I've got programmed for this rig.

317366_10150503453798569_2087206871_n.jpg

My hodge podge of equipment at my dad's.
Kramer "duke" bass
Epiphone Alleykat w/ Dimarzio Breed bridge P/u
Malmsteen clone strat
two Hofner 12 strings
Moog Micromoog
Mesa Studio Preamp
Rivera S-120 half stack
Peavey VT Classic 30 410

Dude, nice score on the Recto halfstack. IMHO, ditch all the rack crap and plug the guitar directly into the amp to see what all the fuss is about!! They're just giving this stuff away these days!

screamingdaisy said:
I nearly doubled my kit when the market started tanking after 2008. I started buying stuff up on (sometimes huge) discounts figuring I could sell stuff to offset the cost... little did I realize the bottom would totally fall out of the market and that I'd wind up on the hook for everything unless I was willing to sell my other stuff at a huge loss.

I'm **curious**
Do you still have the two Orange 4 x 12s? I don't see your Lonestar Special in the pic and I seem to recall you traded your Stiletto for something, can't remember what.

I really miss my 4 x 12 right now but we don't have space for that kind of ridiculousness. I think if I ever get another one, it will be the 'traditional / Stiletto 4 x 12'.

YellowJacket said:
I'm **curious**
Do you still have the two Orange 4 x 12s? I don't see your Lonestar Special in the pic and I seem to recall you traded your Stiletto for something, can't remember what.

I really miss my 4 x 12 right now but we don't have space for that kind of ridiculousness. I think if I ever get another one, it will be the 'traditional / Stiletto 4 x 12'.

Orange 4x12s - Yes. I don't use them much anymore because I don't like the sound of them with high gain amps, but the market is in such a dive I'm not willing to take the kind of loss I'd take selling them. I was planning on reloading one with G12M-25s and the other with Mesa V30s, but my motivation to complete the project has lagged with only two of each speaker. Additionally, one of each speaker type wound up in the Mark V's mini-stack, which set the project even further behind.

I traded the LSS for the Stiletto. I still have the Stiletto... probably going to keep it because it's a really cool amp. Not quite *my* sound but it's really good at what it does.

I don't have room for this kind of ridiculousness either. I thought it would be cool to have a wall of sonic bliss but now that I have one I realize that it takes up a lot of space and everything constantly gets in the way of everything else.

That said.... about the only piece of gear I have GAS for is another Mesa 4x12. I want to get a Traditional with 16ohm V30s in it.

overheadguitarrig.jpg

'81 Mesa Boogie Mark2b, 60 watt with GEQ, no reverb

Avatar Vintage closed back 1x12 w/Celestion g12c-30
(1) Roland Closed back w/Celestion Heritage G12H-55
(1) Roland Closed back w/Celestion Greenback
(1) Demeter Isolation cabinet with (3) speaker combos: Eminence Legend 122, Carvin British series or Celestion V30.
Yamaha DG stomp in the fx loop of the boogie.
Weber Mass Lite
Palmer PDI-09 'Junction'
pedals: Isp Decimator, DC brick, Fulltone Fatboost III, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Barber Tone Press, Barber DDSS, Budda wah, Planet Waves Strobe tuner

screamingdaisy said:
That said.... about the only piece of gear I have GAS for is another Mesa 4x12. I want to get a Traditional with 16ohm V30s in it.

I'd say that's a good buy. Is the one you have a Traditional?

screamingdaisy said:

The Traditional is absolutely beautiful. The angled cab has the mid focused / classic tone of the Marshall 4 x 12 but it's tighter and thumps like a mother. The highs are more rounded off and it is less scooped than the oversized Recto cab. When I got the Standard Rectocab, I realized that I really wanted the Traditional one and by then it was too late.

lespaulguy32 said:

Standard.

YellowJacket said:
The Traditional is absolutely beautiful. The angled cab has the mid focused / classic tone of the Marshall 4 x 12 but it's tighter and thumps like a mother. The highs are more rounded off and it is less scooped than the oversized Recto cab. When I got the Standard Rectocab, I realized that I really wanted the Traditional one and by then it was too late.

I really like the Standard 4x12 with the Recto but it's not quite perfect with my Mark V. My Recto 2x12 on the other hand does sound perfect with my Mark V. The 2x12 is a little more scooped with a bit more top and bottom end than the 4x12 which seems to suit the Mark V better. I thought the difference in tone was due to the cabinet design, but someone posted something last week that filled in the blanks....

Apparently the difference is the winding around the magnet. 8ohm speakers use a different gauge wire and a different number of windings than 16ohm speakers. The result is a shift in tone. 16ohm speakers usually have less mids and more top/bottom end than the 8ohm versions. It's why I want a 4x12 loaded with the 16ohm V30s. I'm looking to go Slant/Traditional this time around because I figure it'll suit the Mark.

screamingdaisy said:
lespaulguy32 said:

Standard.

YellowJacket said:

I really like the Standard 4x12 with the Recto but it's not quite perfect with my Mark V. My Recto 2x12 on the other hand does sound perfect with my Mark V. The 2x12 is a little more scooped with a bit more top and bottom end than the 4x12 which seems to suit the Mark V better. I thought the difference in tone was due to the cabinet design, but someone posted something last week that filled in the blanks....

Apparently the difference is the winding around the magnet. 8ohm speakers use a different gauge wire and a different number of windings than 16ohm speakers. The result is a shift in tone. 16ohm speakers usually have less mids and more top/bottom end than the 8ohm versions. It's why I want a 4x12 loaded with the 16ohm V30s. I'm looking to go Slant/Traditional this time around because I figure it'll suit the Mark.

I'm assuming this is why Petrucci uses the Traditional cabs instead. The scoop is the thing that's really an issue here, I guess. I've only tried a Mark V combo and a Mark V head on a Standard 4x12. I would've had to try it on the Traditional 4x12 to hear the difference. Though I'm sure it's quite different.

lespaulguy32 said:
screamingdaisy said:

Nice 2618!

Just traded the DC-10b 212 in the pic for the DC-5112a in the pic. So on with the a to b mods!
2012-10-13134934.jpg

2012-10-23214853.jpg

My updated Boogies below. I added an open back widebody 1x12, and think I'll pair that with the Mark V head for my Halloween gig.

Boogies.jpg

Deanriffs said:
My updated Boogies below. I added an open back widebody 1x12, and think I'll pair that with the Mark V head for my Halloween gig.

Boogies.jpg

Such sexy gear... I have a newly acquired taste for Marks... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back