TC Quintessence issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domct203

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve come across a strange issue I’ve never dealt with before and can’t quite figure it out.

I recently bought a TC Electronic Quintessence harmony pedal. Fun pedal, yea you can tell it’s not another guitar but it sounds great for what it’s doing, we’ll at least when I don’t have this issue.

I have the pedal in the FX Loop of my stereo TC-100 rig.

https://boogieforum.com/threads/stereo-tc-100-rig.87239/
If I put it first, in front of my G-Major it increases the signal by 8-10dB as shown on the input meter of the G-Major, and by how loud and clipped the signal gets. Any other location and it works fine.

My FX Loop signal chain is basically FX Send to G-Major, G-Major to Source Audio GEQ, GEQ to FX Return.

I’ve done the following:
Put it in front of the amps, works perfectly.
Put it alone in the FX Loops, works perfectly.
Put it after the GEQ (last in chain), works perfectly.
Put it after the G-Major, before the GEQ, works perfectly.
I’ve removed the GEQ and put it after the G-Major, works perfectly.
When I put it in front of the G-Major it boosts the signal and sounds like maxing input gain on a DAW. It doesn’t matter if there’s anything after the G-Major or not.

I’ve messed with the input level on the G-Major, as well as consumer input level (-10bmdB) and pro input level (+4dB) settings. Nothing helps.

I’ve dealt with signal level and impedance issues before, but it was always the opposite issue, poor/low signal levels.

Any ideas?

Dom

[edit] Added link to rig post

Last edited:
My G-Major’s unbalanced input impedance is 13K Ohms.

The TC Quint manual is confusing. Is output impedance 100 Ohm or 1M Ohm? I don’t think 1M Ohm could be right…:

IMG_6400.jpeg

For reference here are the G-Majors input specs:

IMG_6401.jpeg

Dom

My G-Major’s unbalanced input impedance is 13K Ohms.

The TC Quint manual is confusing. Is output impedance 100 Ohm or 1M Ohm? I don’t think 1M Ohm could be right…:

View attachment 2152

For reference here are the G-Majors input specs:

View attachment 2153

Dom
Ty for sharing. After many years, impedance mismatch might be the cause of my situation. DRG C+ loop. Send to Boss 8GEQ pedal > older Boss Chorus pedal > Rock from Intellifex > Return. When I activate Boss Chorus it wants to peak out my input level led's on Intellifex. When I switch to clean channel on C+, its dang near impossible to get a clean sound. My pick attack has to be darn near non existent . The amp may need serviced tho. Its been a while .

Still trying to figure this out. I posted over on TC’s ‘music tribe’ forum as that is where TC directs you to go.

If I don’t get a reply there (or here) in a few days I’m going to reach out to the tech team at Sweetwater, I’ve only called them once (pre purchase) and they were very helpful with answers my Sales Associate did not know.

I suspect it is impedance related, hope to find some clarification on Quint’s output impedance.

Dom

Back