POLL: Effects Loop Success?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your experience with the Mark V's effects loop?

• No problems whatsoever

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • BOSS Pedals give me problems

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Some pedals give me problems

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Useless To Me

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

phyrexia

Reaction score
Some have complained about the V's effects loop, especially when used with certain pedals. I myself have plugged a range of units from $50 Boss Pedals to $1400 TC products into the loop, with no problems across the board.

If you are having problems, please describe the problem and the pedal(s).

phyrexia said:
Some have complained about the V's effects loop, especially when used with certain pedals. I myself have plugged a range of units from $50 Boss Pedals to $1400 TC products into the loop, with no problems across the board.

If you are having problems, please describe the problem and the pedal(s).

MXR Carbon Copy. Big drop in volume when I engage the pedal. I can have the loop engaged and it sounds fine, but when I engage the CC, the volume drops a bit too much.

Apparently, Randy has been using the Lonestar Classic loop (or something close to it) in everything built after the LSC. He seems to like it a lot. I haven't verified this by looking at schems, though.

boss delay dd-3 and chorus ch-1 both distorted in the loop of my V..also tried a vox time machine and it did the same thing.. thought something was wrong with the amp for a while. upgraded to a tc electronics nova repeater and all is well now..

just the boss rc-20 and yes it does suck tone, about a 10% at low volume and it distort a bit..

I have had no problems yet, but the only thing in my loop at the moment is a Carbon Copy Delay.

Now isn't this interesting.....

primeholy said:
MXR Carbon Copy. Big drop in volume when I engage the pedal. I can have the loop engaged and it sounds fine, but when I engage the CC, the volume drops a bit too much.

VS

Hendog said:
I have had no problems yet, but the only thing in my loop at the moment is a Carbon Copy Delay.

Would you guys care to share your channel master and FX loop send level settings?

This could help others troubleshoot.

Dom

Here is one for you: I put my Line 6 POD X3 Live in the loop and use it for a number of effects except boost, which my Fulltone OCD handles in front of the amp. The POD is 24 bit and you can disable the amp modeling and just use it as an effects board. I know it probably isn't an ideal set up but so far, it seems to work quite well.

rika_gd said:
just the boss rc-20 and yes it does suck tone, about a 10% at low volume and it distort a bit..

See the only thing in my loop right now is an RC20 and I don't have any problems. The thing has an input and an output volume, how is it distorting?

domct203 said:
Now isn't this interesting.....

primeholy said:

VS

Hendog said:

Would you guys care to share your channel master and FX loop send level settings?

This could help others troubleshoot.

Dom

There might be a slight drop in volume, but nothing I can't live with.

My send it at noon.

I have a Boss Digital Delay dd-3 and Super Chorus. I run the chorus through the front and it sounds terrible. I have the Delay in the loop (send at noon) and when I engage the FX loop it sounds like the amp is in a cardboard box. Made me want to cry on day one - It's day 5 now and I've resigned myself to buying new pedals.

I'm planning an switching to the TC Electronics ND-1 in the near future since I've heard such good things about it. I'm also possibly going for the MXR Black label Zakk Wylde Chorus.

As far as settings go - I'm actually happy with the high gain suggestions that came posted on top of the Combo amp when I got it. I've tweaked a bit and also tried several suggestions from the board, but I keep going back to those.

phyrexia said:
rika_gd said:

See the only thing in my loop right now is an RC20 and I don't have any problems. The thing has an input and an output volume, how is it distorting?

well, I have a DiMarzio Air Norton neck and a Steve Special bridge, these are high output mics so they use to break almost any clean channel, of course it doesnt happen with the mkV and the proper gain setting for the ch1 but when I use the rc-20 (at bedroom volume) I can get a little distortion in higer notes hitted strong at the same time.

The rc-20 loops does not distort..just the guitar con ch1 while it plays along with the rc-20 and its not that much deal..I imagine that raising the output would totally end this inconvenient, I´ll try this later and see what happens

I'm running the RC2 in the FX loop. There is a significant drop in volume when I bring in the FX Loop. I've tried adjusting the master/output levels, but no luck.

I'm thinking my issue is that the RC2 does not have a guitar/inst. level adjustment.

Others have commented that they use the RC20, which does have an Guitar/Inst. Level knob.

I wonder if putting a volume pedal before the RC2 in the loop would make a difference?

I started another thread a few days ago titled "FX loop distortion". I've tried every type of trouble shooting except taking my Boss pedals to Guitar Center to try them with another Mark V. I've not had this problem with any other amp, including Lonestar, Mark IV, and Single Rec. I love the Mark V but this is very disappointing. I actually like my Boss DD-5 and CE-5 pedals. I would never have anticipated this problem with a $2100 Mesa amp. I called Mesa and they do not have a solution. I'm hoping my amp has a problem but after seeing this thread I'm suspicioning that it is normal. I don't have any money left for new pedals or rack effects. 8>( I'm going to Guitar Center this weekend and will post my findings.

P.S. Both my Boss pedals are pretty old. I wonder if that matters?

Gunner said:
I started another thread a few days ago titled "FX loop distortion". I've tried every type of trouble shooting except taking my Boss pedals to Guitar Center to try them with another Mark V. I've not had this problem with any other amp, including Lonestar, Mark IV, and Single Rec. I love the Mark V but this is very disappointing. I actually like my Boss DD-5 and CE-5 pedals. I would never have anticipated this problem with a $2100 Mesa amp. I called Mesa and they do not have a solution. I'm hoping my amp has a problem but after seeing this thread I'm suspicioning that it is normal. I don't have any money left for new pedals or rack effects. 8>( I'm going to Guitar Center this weekend and will post my findings.

P.S. Both my Boss pedals are pretty old. I wonder if that matters?

Your "suspicioning" must be faulty. Like I said, I've used BOSS pedals older than yours (older than I am, even) without any trouble. They all use the same buffer. How high are you running the channel masters? They feed signal to the FX send level control on the back of the amp.

Back