POLL: Effects Loop Success?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your experience with the Mark V's effects loop?

• No problems whatsoever

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • BOSS Pedals give me problems

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Some pedals give me problems

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Useless To Me

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
I called Mesa and they told me to run the Channel Master lower and raise the Output. I put the Output at noon and on Ch. 1 the Master was at 9:00. Better, but still clipping when I strummed harder. Switching the loop off it sounded pristine clean, even when I strummed harder.

DD3 = distorted repeats and ONLY with the V. It has always sounded great on all my other amps.

Modded Phase 90 = distortion, but I expected this one to clip. Its very fussy to begin with, stock it clips just looking at it.

Small clone = small volume drop and I expected it.

TR2 = fine

To be honest the loop is not very good. Sure its better than the Recto style 90% wet parallel loop, but it leaves room for improvement. Don't get me wrong it is usable; just not ideal. The level knob and master controls are pretty much the most retarded setup I have seen. Why have a master output if you need to run it high and run the channel masters low? Why optimize the loop for effects that have a mix level knob? I don't have crazy rack gear. I don't leave the loop on. That means the loop has to be balanced with the dry signal.

Ive played plenty of amps and the Peavey JSX/XXX loop has been the best by far. They have send and return knobs which are completely independent of the rest of the amp. I have had no issues setting those up for balanced and clean sound.

The loop is my only real complaint on the Mark V.

Jsutter, I totally agree with you on the loop of the MKV and also agree with you on the JSX being the best ive ever heard! I actually like the JSX better with the loop on! It doesnt quite have the tone of the MkV. Mesa hasnt built an effects loop worth a **** as far as im concerned. Its the reason my Trem-o-verb stays in my studio and not onstage! The ToV has the worse FX loop EVER! But **** what a TONE!

I'm running a Line 6 M9 in my loop for all my mod and delay effects and it sounds great... The chorus and trem are lots of fun, but the delays kick ***... I love the thing - it's got so much! More than a hundred pedal models to choose from and virtually zero effect on my tone despite a 20' pedalsnake run (I use an Axxess BS2 buffer just before the run from the guitar to the amp's input)... Mesa really got the FX Loop right on the Mark V afaic! :lol:

Back