Please help me choose my Triaxis model

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoons

Reaction score
I am looking at two NEW Triaxis in a local store. They are both Version 2 and both come with full original factory warranties. One was manufactured in 2004 and the other one in 2007. I have checked with Mesa using the serial numbers and the 2004 model includes the Rectifier and the 2006 does not. Cost is not considered a factor.

My question is for all the Triaxis users past and present.
If you are not a past or present user of the Triaxis please do not post a reply.

Which Triaxis would YOU choose today?

Thanks.

100% choose the older one with the recitifer TX4 pcb. The newest revision sounded virtually unusable to me personally. I'm a tech and checked to make sure that the new unit I had was aligned and still the overall presence of the unit was just shrill, chirpy, and unbearable. The Lead 1 red was disgustingly flabby sounding and I hated it. I now own a unit with the TX4 pcb and I really couldn't be happier with my amp. It is wonderful. 100% no questions asked, and it seems that my response is the same response as ALMOST every other person. I'm curious to see what the new triaxis will sound like. But by the sounds of it, it might be quite sometime before we see it.

I was thinking of getting a Triaxis, but it seems that there are so many version out there, and I don't really like the Recto sound, so I went for the Quad.

Plus, another thing, Triaxis uses op-amps to create it's distortion. Quad is all 100% tube. Just thought you might wannna know that.

I'd suggest you go for Version 1, from the 90s instead of choosing those two. I've heard the older triaxises sound and feel much better, plus you'll save loads of cash.

I thought the only op-amps in the Triaxis signal path were for the 'dynamic voice' function and had nothing to do with the overdrive.

Razor said:
I was thinking of getting a Triaxis, but it seems that there are so many version out there, and I don't really like the Recto sound, so I went for the Quad.

Plus, another thing, Triaxis uses op-amps to create it's distortion. Quad is all 100% tube. Just thought you might wannna know that.

I'd suggest you go for Version 1, from the 90s instead of choosing those two. I've heard the older triaxises sound and feel much better, plus you'll save loads of cash.

So let me get this right...
From reading your post it seems like you are NOT a past or present user of the Triaxis, is that right?

I hate to be a party pooper and I'm not trying to be rude; but, I'm not interested in any other preamp information in this thread. And...

My question is for Triaxis users past and present.
If you are not a past or present user of the Triaxis please do not post a reply.

Razor said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had thought the Triaxis just used op-amps for the dynamic voice and the master volume control?

There are only two places in the Triaxis where opamps are used. The first location is in the Dynamic Voice. For you tube purists who love the GEQ on the mark series, it's the same idea. The Triaxis uses an opamp to achieve the same thing the Mark series achivies using discreet transistors. No distortion should be created by that opamp. The second spot is for the speaker simulator on the Direct Outs. You can create distortion on those opamps because they come after the fx return and you can over load them with a hot signal. But as it was designed the triaxis does not use opamps to create distortion. It uses opamps in place of the transistors the Mark series amps use due to voltage requirements.

Razor said:
Triaxis uses op-amps to create it's distortion

Wrong! Clipping all happens in the tubes. Opamps are only used in the Dynamic Voice (EQ) and Speaker Sim.

Razor said:
Quad is all 100% tube.

Wrong! Graphic EQs in the quad are both transistor based. Just like the Mark series amps.

Anyway, I used to have a Triaxis 2.0 Phat Mod up until about 4 years ago and it was great. I bought it used back in 2001, so I'm not sure when it was made. I stayed on Rhythm Green or Lead 2 Yellow 99% of the time. With the 2:90 and 2 Recto 2x12's it sounded amazing.

Ok all that information is interesting but better suited for another thread, so let's keep it simple and get back on topic...

My question is for Triaxis users past and present.
Post only if you you are a past or present user of the Triaxis.

"Which Triaxis would YOU choose today?"

Thanks to those of you that have actually answered the question I asked.

I would say V2 Non Phat... you get the continuous control BS (if your into that) and you bypass their "upgrade" on that one red channel.

Then again it doesn't matter really...that one red channel is not usable as far as I could tell. I tried different speakers (2x12 vintage 30, 2x12 K120, 2x12 Fender Oxfords :lol: ), different guitars (JS 1000, strat, Tele Deluxe, RG) and found that I always preffered one of the other channels. I've heard clips of the Phat Modded one...and the sound is way too loosey goosey for a recto sound. Maybe an EQ on the 120-150 range and the 80hz range would fix it...

EDIT: Forgot to add...the newer triaxis' are supposed to have a crummy chip in it...don't know if their is any truth to that. My recommendation is to go with an older V2 (before phat mod).

I've posted this a million times, but I have owned both. I now have an older V2 WITHOUT the phat mod. I hated hated hated the newest version which has the TX5 board in it. The TX4 board rules. The TX5 version has an abrasive very annoying presence to it's over all sound (even when calibrated with the presence 'mod') and the lead 1 red is super flabby and loose sounding which I found unusable.

Bottom line is the older TX4 pcb version wins hands down.

Ok, I have chosen the 2004 model. After side by side comparison I chose the 2004 with the Rectifier because I like the Rectifier tone better in that model and the price is nice too. Imagine, 4 years old and STILL under full factory warranty. That's cool.

Thank's everyone for your help.

Back