pickup selection for mark 4.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyg121

Reaction score
does anyone have any advice for me in picking a new pup for my guitar.i am running into a mark 4..with an usa hamer centaura.for some reason the jb thats in there is just not cutting it for me.humbucking bridge position.i was kind of thinking about a dimarzio.i know this is all limited info but i like general hard rock stuff.i like a real middy sound that you can hear the pick cut through when soloing.any advice?

I would call will at WB and tell him what you are looking for. Very nice guy and seems to nail the pickup I am looking for every time I call. If you don't like it he will rewind it for you till its right. http://www.wbpickups.com/

billyg121 said:
does anyone have any advice for me in picking a new pup for my guitar.i am running into a mark 4..with an usa hamer centaura.for some reason the jb thats in there is just not cutting it for me.humbucking bridge position.i was kind of thinking about a dimarzio.i know this is all limited info but i like general hard rock stuff.i like a real middy sound that you can hear the pick cut through when soloing.any advice?

I use Duncan SH-12's in all my guitars, they sound great on my IV. All different wood types They are middle output that have a PAF vibe to them. I don't think they call them SH-12's anymore, I think they are labled TB-12's. I play heavy music and the tone cuts through, roll off the volume just a small bit and the tone really smooths out. I love these pick-ups.

probably high output...or medium.are those bill lawrence pups active?

i always hear the jb is in more guitars than any other pick up.is it just me or is this pick up kind of stale?

I've asked the same question here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132435&highlight=jackson

After I made the post in the link, I tried el34's in the Mk IV and for some reason they seemed to agree more with the JB.

awesome.thanks for the link boogiemonster.so in all of your experimenting...what do you find to be the best from dimarzio as well as duncan?i think we are after similar tones.i have the boogie equipt with el34/6l6 combo.i just like to hear the single notes cut through.i really like the steve morse dimarzio bridge i have in my esp.just want to try something dif for the hamer.thanks for any more info.

Go to DiMarzio.com and checkout the "pickup picker" if you haven't already. Then email them about the recommendation. They usually come up with a different suggestion strangely enough.

My personal favourites are DiMarzio Air Zone and Tom Anderson H2+.

I would echo the comment on anderson pickups. The anderson guitars themselves are great as well...sometimes wish I had mine back...anyway...they are tested/used with boogies quite often so I am sure they are sort of tweaked to match a bit more than some of the others mentioned.

Back