pedals in which order in my fx chain....Need serious advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
After years of trying to work with my dual rec's parallel fx loop, i've decided enough's enough....i'm taking my amp to get changed to a series fx loop.
i figured if i'm going to finally be able to use the loop effectively, then i'm going all out. i decided to get everything i always wanted to get but put off because i could never get the parallel fx loop to work well.

i bought an mxr 10 band eq, bb sonic stomp, digitech jamman, isp decimator, memory man, and i have a rocktron xpression.

I'm wondering if any of you effect gurus could give me some advice on the order i should have them set up in the loop.[/b]

Here's what I'd do with that gear:

1) Ditch the Sonic Stomp. Those Sonic Maximizer products are rack crack. You don't need them - no matter how much 'better' you think it makes your stuff sound. They're phase ruining sonic minimizers! I learned the hard way :)

2) Xpression in the loop - naturally

3) Guitar -> EQ -> Decimator -> Memory Man

4) The JamMan can go wither after the EQ or after the Memory Man depending on what you want to do with it. That is - if you want to loop the delays or not.

Read “DeFrag’s” post in the other thread allot of useful information, read it a few times to take it in.

I’m also with “camsna” leave the Sonic Stomp out of this equation. This is coming from another owner of one also! They are great little devices but in the right place and time. I use mine for my acoustic plugged straight into a PA, kind of compensates for the so so preamp that the guitar came with.

As far as my take, pretty much the same as the others.
A little food for thought, you have an Xpression and a Memory Man, two nice pieces of gear, no doute!
But there is allot of redundant features there why not just use the Xpression? Plus you have midi control over the Xpression.

As far as the Jam Man (looper) I’m not sure how you want to use it, and I don’t own one, but I would think you would want it to be the last device in the effects loop. This way if you play a phrase with the clean channel and a bit of chorus, and loop that. You can then change your amp channel and effects setup and play over it (say a lead with some long delay). If the Memory Man is after the guitar or should I say before the preamp the phrase is going to be a slave to what you do next.
Same thing just looped a phrase clean channel and a chorus, you now change channels because you want to play a nice overdriven lead over it , the only problem that loop you just played became overdriven, but it does not stop there that loop had a nice chorus but when you switched your amps channel you also wanted some delay and kicked that in also so now the phrase you record also has that delay.

Even in the loop make sure it’s the last device, same reason if you record a loop and change effect patches the loop will be a slave to the effects processor (if the looper is placed before effects unit)

Well, as for the sonic stomp. They go at the end of the chain of pedals. You might as well hook it up and decide for yourself, cause there's lots of us that use em and they're true bypass so it won't suck your tone if you decide to turn it off. Mine's on all the time.

Latest posts

Back