Triaxis V2 & Fractal Axe FX III/How To Connect It All Up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope you are all good. It's been while since I posted on here. I decided to sell off my MK35 Combo I've had for a few years and get myself a Triaxis V2. I've always wanted one and got the chance to get one recenty. It's still in customs waiting for me to pay the fees once the letter comes though the door. I'm also getting it converted from 110v to 230v. I bought all the parts needed including the transformer from TAD a couple of weeks back. I'm going to get a professional tech to sort out the conversion for me

Basically I just wanted some advice on how to connect it all up! I'd like to use the 4CM so I can run effects in front and after like delays etc. What's the best way connect it all using the axe fx 3? Should I be using the FX loop on the Triaxis to route the effects like delays and reverbs?

Also what's the best way to connect up via midi? I'm using a RJM Mastermind GT22 that is being powered by a phantom power box. This uses the midi in and out on the axe fx so I'm assuming I'd have to use the midi thru on the axe to the midi in or out on the Triaxis?

Any help would be great.

Many thanks in advance

Paul

Can anyone help with this please?
I would not use the Tri-Axis FX loop. Set up your Fractal patches with a send and return. Put "pre" FX before the send, "post" FX after.
Make sure the send level is instrument level to the input of your Tri-Axis. The return should be line level to accept the main out of the Tri-Axis.
If you're using the Fractal as a direct-to-console device, I would have a cab IR as the first block after the return.
I had a Tri-Axis for a few decades and still have an Axe-FX II, so that's my experience.

Not sure about your MIDI routing. Don't know why the RJM uses both in and out on the Fractal.
My old rig was CAE foot controller MIDI out>first device MIDI in, first device MIDI out or thru depending on what my desired information flow was, and so on throughout the MIDI chain.
If you need to, there are MIDI splitter boxes that would send the commands from your RJM to both your devices without using their out or thru jacks.

I use an Axe-Fx III in the 4 cable method mostly as an effects box in a rig that has Mark VII and JP-2C heads. I use the Mesa Head-Track to switch between the heads. I also use an RJM GT-10 to control everything.

First, if you want the MMGT to display tuner information and update the state of the Axe-FX, you need to have bidirectional midi turned on for the MMGT, and it needs to be hooked up to the Axe-Fx and MMGT using two cables. I also use the phantom power box, so only 1 cable is necessary to run out to the MMGT. You connect Midi OUT and IN in the Axe-Fx to the phantom box, then use a single 7-pin midi cable to connect the phantom power box to the MMGT. You connect the Axe-Fx to other midi capable units with the Midi Thru on the Axe-Fx. That is how I have the MMGT and Axe-Fx connect to the Mark VII and JP-2C. With the bi-directional midi, The MMGT automatically reflects the state of presets/scenes/individual effects.

Hooking up the Triaxis in the four cable method is identical to connecting an amp head in the 4CM, except the connections at points will be stereo. I use to have a Triaxis, and I would put the effects units between the Triaxis and the 2:90 power amp. Page 28 of the Axe manual details the 4CM. The only thing you would change is that Output 4L instead of going to the FX Return of the amp will go to the input of the power amp. Also, instead of using only output 4L, you would use Output 4L/R to the power amp.

HTH

Thanks for the response fellas, really appreciate it! I have the phantom power box too that I'm using to power the GT22 with a midi 7 pin cable to 6 pin XLR to the GT and bi directional midi is all working. It was more to do with how to connect the Triaxis to the axe and a power amp really.

I'll give it a go using the 4CM. So let me just run thru this with you to make sure I have this correct.

Guitar - Plugs in normally from Input 1 on the Axe at the front.

Out 3 L (Axe) - Connect to Input on the Triaxis

Out 4 L (Axe) - Connect to Input of Power amp

So what happens with input 4 on the axe? does it connect to the output on the Triaxis?

And midi connections would be imidi thru out of the Axe to midi in on the Triaxis?

One thing that caught my eye in the Axe FX manual was this attached.

Thanks again
Paul

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 21.45.08.png

I wouldn't use the inserting outboard gear schematic for a Triaxis and power amp, because, in spite of its similarities to the 4CM schematic, this places the outboard gear in the loop of the Axe-Fx rather than placing the Axe-Fx in the loop of the Triaxis/Power amp. I am treating the Triaxis/Power amp as if it was a head with the two parts of the head separated. I attached the 4CM page.

I would use the inputs/outputs suggested by Fractal because I don't think they are all created equally, but I can't say for certain. In the 4CM page I attached, Output 3L goes to the input of the Triaxis. On outboard gear, like an Eventide H9000, Output 3L would go to the input on the rear of the unit, which is not the same as the input on a preamp or guitar head. The outputs from the Triaxis would go to Input 4L/R on the Axe-Fx III while Output 4L/R on the Axe goes to the input of the power amp. You do not use Output 1 L/R at all. Output 1 L/R would not have the power amp in the signal. You could use Input/Output 2 L/R to insert additional effects in the signal chain, such as an H9000, into the signal change. You could change where the H9000 affects the signal by where you place the inserts in the Axe-Fx grid, so it could either come pre-Triaxis input or post-Triaxis pre Power amp.
HTH

Attachments

• Axe 4CM.pdf
    261.7 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn't use the inserting outboard gear schematic for a Triaxis and power amp, because, in spite of its similarities to the 4CM schematic, this places the outboard gear in the loop of the Axe-Fx rather than placing the Axe-Fx in the loop of the Triaxis/Power amp. I am treating the Triaxis/Power amp as if it was a head with the two parts of the head separated. I attached the 4CM page.

I would use the inputs/outputs suggested by Fractal because I don't think they are all created equally, but I can't say for certain. In the 4CM page I attached, Output 3L goes to the input of the Triaxis. On outboard gear, like an Eventide H9000, Output 3L would go to the input on the rear of the unit, which is not the same as the input on a preamp or guitar head. The outputs from the Triaxis would go to Input 4L/R on the Axe-Fx III while Output 4L/R on the Axe goes to the input of the power amp. You do not use Output 1 L/R at all. Output 1 L/R would not have the power amp in the signal. You could use Input/Output 2 L/R to insert additional effects in the signal chain, such as an H9000, into the signal change. You could change where the H9000 affects the signal by where you place the inserts in the Axe-Fx grid, so it could either come pre-Triaxis input or post-Triaxis pre Power amp.
HTH
Got it! Thank you for all the info I really appreciate it. I'll give it a go once the Triaxis has been converted to the correct voltage.

Interesting that I can also run the Triaxis though an IR as well. I'll give that a go a some point too.

If you connect Output 1 L/R to a mixer or to you audio interface, you can bypass the Triaxis/2:90 completely and use the Axe-Fx III amp sims and cabinets. I often set up patches to compare their amp sims to the JP-2C, for example. With a separate preamp, you could even bypass the Triaxis, by not including Input/Output block 3 in the Axe-Fx grid, and sending the amp sims to power amp. Now you have made me want to buy another Triaxis and power amp.

Lol sorry about that. I'v never owned one before I've always had amp heads. I miss my Road King. I wish I'd never sold that. I actually use the Triaxis model in the Axe FX 3 so it will be interesting to hear the difference between the modelled sound and the real thing.

Thanks again for all the info!

Back