Paying Respect to the JCM800- 2204 50 watt

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinus

Reaction score
I just finished repairing a JCM800 from the 80's and even though I love my Stilletto, I have to say this is still one kick butt amp. It took me back to the 80's. I used my BB preamp to boost it a little and it sounded awesome. It's too bad that it is a one trick pony, but what a pony! Anyway, I wish the modern Marshall's were still built like this:

Before:

DSCN0166.jpg

After:
DSCN0172.jpg

Farewell my good friend......... 8)

I hear ya... I still love my 800 but unfortunately the versatility I get from my Stiletto makes me leave the 800 in the closet.

ursinus said:
... I have to say this is still one kick butt amp. It took me back to the 80's. I used my BB preamp to boost it a little and it sounded awesome. It's too bad that it is a one trick pony, but what a pony! Anyway, I wish the modern Marshall's were still built like this:

Before: img

After:
img
What'd you mean farewell? Wow, did not know JCM800 were still point-to-point like Super Leads and Plexis

RR said:
ursinus said:
... I have to say this is still one kick butt amp. It took me back to the 80's. I used my BB preamp to boost it a little and it sounded awesome. It's too bad that it is a one trick pony, but what a pony! Anyway, I wish the modern Marshall's were still built like this:

What'd you mean farewell? Wow, did not know JCM800 were still point-to-point like Super Leads and Plexis

Farewell, because it belongs to someone who brought it in to a musicstore that I do repair work for. BTW this one was one of the best sounding 2204's I have ever heard, and I have serviced at least a hundred of these.

RR said:
ursinus said:

Before: img

After:
img

the 800s were built PTP in the first couple years of production. i was told to look for the ones before 83-84. after that they went to circuit boards. doesnt change the voicing but there easier to service i suppose.

Strange, but I never saw a JCM800 that was PTP ever unless it was done after the fact. In fact, Marshall used PCB's exclusively after 1974 with exception of some reissues. Master Volume amps were always PCB amps unless someone changed/modded them after the fact. You guys might be confusing the concept of the early MV amps having flying leads that went away in 1985. These flying leads connected the pots to the PCB unlike the later models that had their pots actually attached to the PCB. This change made things more difficult to repair however if you are relatively skilled it isn't that big of a deal. The real change in sound came from the change in the # of big metal caps that were used. This affected the 2203 moreso than the 2204. The 2204 was not so drastically changed as was the 2203. In any event, when the pots were attached to the PCB the input jacks went horizontal vice the original vertical configuration. This is why most just look for vertical inputs. The last Marshall amps that were PTP were SuperLeads and SuperBasses. If you want PTP look into those amps or even the SuperTremolos.

JCM800's are great amps, there called one trick ponies but what they do, they do great and LOAD but none the less great :D

Russ said:
Strange, but I never saw a JCM800 that was PTP ever unless it was done after the fact. In fact, Marshall used PCB's exclusively after 1974 with exception of some reissues. Master Volume amps were always PCB amps unless someone changed/modded them after the fact. You guys might be confusing the concept of the early MV amps having flying leads that went away in 1985. These flying leads connected the pots to the PCB unlike the later models that had their pots actually attached to the PCB. This change made things more difficult to repair however if you are relatively skilled it isn't that big of a deal. The real change in sound came from the change in the # of big metal caps that were used. This affected the 2203 moreso than the 2204. The 2204 was not so drastically changed as was the 2203. In any event, when the pots were attached to the PCB the input jacks went horizontal vice the original vertical configuration. This is why most just look for vertical inputs. The last Marshall amps that were PTP were SuperLeads and SuperBasses. If you want PTP look into those amps or even the SuperTremolos.

I have serviced a ton of these and both turret board types (like the pics)and pcb types exist. Both use the same components, so it will sound the same. The only difference is servicing. This one was a breeze. The pcb type are only a little bit more work. BTW this one was a vertical input model.

ursinus said:
I just finished repairing a JCM800 from the 80's and even though I love my Stilletto, I have to say this is still one kick butt amp. It took me back to the 80's. I used my BB preamp to boost it a little and it sounded awesome. It's too bad that it is a one trick pony, but what a pony! Anyway, I wish the modern Marshall's were still built like this:

Before:

DSCN0166.jpg

After:
DSCN0172.jpg

Yes sir!! I love my '82 2204 but it is far from a one trick pony. ;)

Latest posts

Back