Overdrive for Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneseeker911

Reaction score
Hello,
I know this has been discussed all over, but I did want to revive this topic. I am looking for an OD (or maybe a treble booster) that thickens and adds some more growl and maybe some top end to my rhythm channel (usually crunch, sometimes mark IV).

I have an analogman KoT, honestly I can't get it to do what I want. It sounds great on a Fender type amp, but it seems a little artificial on the mark v. I have an xotic bb preamp too and have a very similar experience. Drive sounds a little artificial and doesn't really add what I want for an overdrive.

What I was looking for is something like what is achieved here with an overdrive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghuKBn8z20A

I don't know if its just user error and there is a better way to dial in the overdrive, or I should get another overdrive. Any recommendations from others who are doing this ?

Thanks!

So far as I'm tracking the Koko boost is a clean boost on one side, and a clean boost with a mid peak on the other. If you like the tone in the video, I'd recommend starting with the Suhr Koko Boost.

Personally, I like the Mesa Tone Burst. Also a clean boost, but IMO it's voiced to work with Mesa amps. Plus, with the dual tone controls you can dial in how fat/tight, smooth/edgy or mid boost/scooped it sounds. I use it as a "more" pedal... as in, when I like the way my amp sounds but wish it had just a little bit "more", I hit the Tone Burst to push the amp just a bit harder.

Alternatively, you could turn the amp's gain knob up a bit higher to get the lead sound you're after and turn your guitar's volume down to 8 or 9 for rhythm, then roll it up for leads. Same can be done with tone... dial the amp slightly too bright and back the guitar's tone knob off for rhythm, then roll it up to 10 when you want more top end.

Or... do a bit of both. It opens up a lot of options.

I have a boss os-2 given to me, that gives channel 2 a nice snarl. I have an ep booster, and it seems to thicken it up a bit. Granted I haven't been playing much lately, and what I have, hasn't been at band volume.

I'm using a Keeley Oxblood and I'm very happy with how it interacts with Edge and Fat. Still honeymooning with it though.

For great lead tones for classic rock. I use a Custom made TS clone Set more as a boost with a touch of drive. What kind of sound are you looking for? I use a KOT as well with my boogie Mark V. I love it. Use it with both DS and OD sides on. Also have a Plimsoul on the board as well for when I need High saturated tones. I use Fulltone Fulldrive2 as OD on my fender amps. I did not think it sounded that great with the Boogie. Amazing in front of a deluxe or twin.
I will take a good look at the setting on my amp and KOT and put that in here later.

Back