Boost suggestions for Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Lamury

Reaction score
I'm looking for boost suggestions for my Mark V? I know it works well to have a boost in front of a rectifier so I'm looking for something along those lines. What are you guys using in front of your Mark V?

The Mark V preamp is not like a rectifier at all in terms of preamp design and how it is adjusted. The Mark series are pretty mid heavy, and will not benefit from the boost like a Rectifier will when you want the low end tightened up.

What is the Mark V not doing that you want it to?

Number of threads on this subject....

IMO, Mark V does not need any OD/Boost, except if you want essentially a 4th channel for the clean. This works really well, there are many choices. Boss SD-1 is cheap and sounds great.

If you want a totally different non-Mark sound, you can use any type of pedal, amp in a box, etc with Ch 1 cleaned all the way. I do this with a Soldano SLO pedal and it is very cool for something different.

Number of threads on this subject....

IMO, Mark V does not need any OD/Boost, except if you want essentially a 4th channel for the clean. This works really well, there are many choices. Boss SD-1 is cheap and sounds great.

If you want a totally different non-Mark sound, you can use any type of pedal, amp in a box, etc with Ch 1 cleaned all the way. I do this with a Soldano SLO pedal and it is very cool for something different.
Have you tried running the Soldano pedal in the FX loop to bypass the preamp? Might not be necessary if you just use the clean channel, but I just got a Mashall in a box I'd like to try out this way. Soldano pedal seems awesome.

I use an overdrive pedal in front of my Mark V90. I run my amp very bass heavy then use the OD pedal to add a bit back to it. I think it works very well with a Mark V. The Soul Food by EH works great. My favorite right now it the Black Country Custom TI Boost, it such a good pedal and adds so much to my sound.

Have you tried running the Soldano pedal in the FX loop to bypass the preamp? Might not be necessary if you just use the clean channel, but I just got a Mashall in a box I'd like to try out this way. Soldano pedal seems awesome.
Interesting, I had not thought of the loop...going to try today.

The Mark V preamp is not like a rectifier at all in terms of preamp design and how it is adjusted. The Mark series are pretty mid heavy, and will not benefit from the boost like a Rectifier will when you want the low end tightened up.

What is the Mark V not doing that you want it to?
I'm having trouble getting sound that has a solid bass foundation and pushes mids and treble. Everything I'm getting with the Mark V is either too mushy or too scooped. This is my first Mesa amp and I'm kinda lost... Here are the amp settings I was using on my PRS MT15 and my marshall DSL40 - bass 6, mids7-8, treble 7(no prior experience with mesa EQ).

Any help or setting suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If it helps I don't play metal I play punk and ska/punk. Thanks

I found the manual VERY helpful for dialing in my Mark V. The amp utilizes a tone stack that comes BEFORE the gain control and gain stages, so it works a bit differently than the EQ on many other amp designs, many of which have the tone stack after the gain and gain stages. The tone stack is interactive as well, so how much treble you have set controls how much available mids and bass there will be.

Which modes have you been trying to dial in?

I've fallen in love with the extreme mode. I read the manual but there weren't that many settings for extreme mode. Do you have to have the sliders in some sort of V or how would I get a heavy mid sound that cuts through the mix that isn't mushy or flubby?

Try setting bass knob to 9 o’clock, treble at 1:30 and mids at maybe noon or so. Assuming your gain is at 2 to 4 o’clock or so. Engage the EQ. On the EQ create a shallow ‘V’ pattern. Try the far left slider up towards max, try second slider between mid and top line, center slider between mid and bottom line, right two sliders just above mid-lone. Back to bass knob, maybe increase to 10 o’clock or until you hear ‘flub’. Tweak everything to taste.

To cut thru the mix increase the center EQ slider a bit (a little goes a long way) or increase the top end (treble knob or right two sliders) or presence. Make small changes.

I also support the Grid Slammer. Heck even the flux drive sounds good. Grid slammer is easier to use though. Does not go over the top like the Flux drive. However, this may not address the low end characteristic. The Mark V90 is one of those amps that is tunable with different preamp tubes. Just getting that right blend of tubes can make a world of difference. No need for the saturation mod if you came across that yet. It is an interesting trick but does not work for everyone.

As of late, I was able to get my Mark V90 to sound exactly like the Mark VII. Bottom end did not sound like it was going to blow out into flub. It remained tight. Even with raised bass levels. What I like is a tight bottom end with plenty of grind and punch, a top end that does not drill into my head and a balanced midrange. Sorry for repeating, I had stated this before in another post you made.

I am using a Critter Electronics CFR Klone (Klon clone, obviously), with the gain set low and volume and treble moderately high. This just does the right thing as a boost into the MkV90's Channel 2 or 3, seems to goose all the right frequencies without adding bass flub or midrange splat. However, the gain can't go past 9 o'clock or the midrange starts to get pushed too much and it starts bordering on velcro fuzz. I keep the pedal's option switch in the middle position which is the stock Klon setting.

Previously I had been using a super clean Spark Boost as a booster, and this does sound good - but I prefer the special something that the Klon style boost is giving me. It feels great under the fingers.

I've fallen in love with the extreme mode. I read the manual but there weren't that many settings for extreme mode. Do you have to have the sliders in some sort of V or how would I get a heavy mid sound that cuts through the mix that isn't mushy or flubby?
try putting it in triode mode instead of pentode on the Extreme mode. that's what i am doing and it just made that Mark come to life. i push it a bit on the bass side then use an OD pedal to add what i need back to the amp.

Just different idea… disclaimer: usually I don’t use any boosts while playing at home - amp delivers and it’s great for technique to hear every little shade of turd amongst the properly played notes.. 🤣

For crunch I’ve used CM:s Plexi Drive’s volume boost - it gives top end a bit of a boost. Just great for brit-esque treble grind. Other options would be RAT and VL Sparkle drive.

The lead then has been served best with the VL again or the RAT..

Back