Note to self - maintain lead connections properly

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester

Reaction score
Finally got back into my studio after 3 months working in Latin America - plugged into my Roadster which sounded awful. Single notes "farted", chords sounded thin and OD response was slightly brittle

Diagnosis - tube issue, as per normal based on the amps' response. I rolled every pre / power amp tube and got the same result. Swapped heads to my usually noiseless MKV, using the same speaker cabs & leads - same result. As someone who hates background hiss or crackle in studio conditions, I maintain my amps to be as "noiseless" as I can get them, and use studio quality cables to link up gear. The last thing I thought about was ***** on the jacks, which proved to be the issue

My lesson learned - no matter what the quality of your cables, regularly maintain the jacks and amp / cab inputs using contact cleaner. Unless you do, your tone could be compromised, and you'll waste time and energy solving a tube issue that did not exist

Both heads now sound great again - as per usual :wink:

Back