Newbie: Mesa studio Pre and the MK2 C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EOengineer

Reaction score
So, firstly...Hello all! I am a newbie, but a long time Mesa user as well as a Boston-based recording engineer.

I recently snagged a boogie studio pre at the local GC store, and minus one problem that is being repaired now, I thought the thing sounded amazing...light years beyong my 1997 2 channel recto head in terms of dynamics, cut, and expression.

After doing some extensive reading, I have discovered that this is basically a MK2 front end, and I have heard murmers that there is a mod to bring the preamp up to MK2 C+ specs...and that is very interesting to me as an engineer...those amps record VERY well.

I am wondering, has anyone actually had thier studio pre modded to mark 2 C+ specs? What were the tonal changes? Cost? What is involved?

Obviously I wouldnt expect it to sound exactly like an original because my simul 2:90 is a different power section...but I am more interested in the actual tonal changes that will occur with such a mod.

Well, the Studio is basically a Mark IIC preamp so Bendinelli could probably mod it closer to C+ specs. I know that snowman3000 on here had his studio modded to C+ specs over in Italy :)

I don't think Boogie has publicly admitted to a mod to make it a genuine 2c+ preamp. The person that had theirs modded to "2c+" specs might have just taken it to their local amp tech for him to tweak. I seriously doubt he had a 2c+ to directly A/B with the studio pre. You have to be careful about mods because it can change something that you might really like about the pre now. My suggestion is to use the pre as is until you decide it can't do what you want and then go the mod route.

Greg

disassembled said:
I don't think Boogie has publicly admitted to a mod to make it a genuine 2c+ preamp. The person that had theirs modded to "2c+" specs might have just taken it to their local amp tech for him to tweak. I seriously doubt he had a 2c+ to directly A/B with the studio pre. You have to be careful about mods because it can change something that you might really like about the pre now. My suggestion is to use the pre as is until you decide it can't do what you want and then go the mod route.

Greg

It's off the books and only done by Bendinelli :) If you call and ask about it (and speak to anyone but Mike) they will tell you no.

Snowman had his modded in Italy, not by Boogie and I'm pretty sure he had one or two C+ at the time as well :)

4nkam said:
It's off the books and only done by Bendinelli :) If you call and ask about it (and speak to anyone but Mike) they will tell you no.

Snowman had his modded in Italy, not by Boogie and I'm pretty sure he had one or two C+ at the time as well :)

Well who have you talked to that had it done be Mike? I am not trying to disprove you I am trying to get proof for myself so if someone asks this question again I can give a more informed answer. I am curious to know if snowman actually A/B'd the pre with a 2c+ before and after he modded his.

Greg

Well I had no idea this would spark such a debate. The fact of the matter is that I actually do really enjoy the sound of the preamp, and there isnt anything that I absolutely NEED to change about its tone. If you understand the gain staging, and how the EQ controls the overdrive characteristics...you can get just about everything you could ever want out of it.

What I am considering doing is to pick up a second unit since they are still moderately cheap, and having it modded by Mike if he can in fact perform the mod, and it is at a reasonable price. I had one on ebay yesterday and someone sniped it from me with about 20 seconds left, but not before I drove that price up a good $70 : )

Anyone have a studio pre they might want to get rid of?

Oh, and by the way...check ebay. There is a studio pre up right now that supposedly has the C+ mod FROM MESA WITH THE PAPERWORK!!! I am looking into it right now....hope I get it.

disassembled said:
4nkam said:

Well who have you talked to that had it done be Mike? I am not trying to disprove you I am trying to get proof for myself so if someone asks this question again I can give a more informed answer. I am curious to know if snowman actually A/B'd the pre with a 2c+ before and after he modded his.

Greg

I was generally speaking about MB and the C+ mods, not the Studio pre specifically. Mike still does the C+ mods on the IIC and Mark IIIs. He also modified a member of the petrucci forum's Quad preamp to C+ specs about a year ago or so.

Here is some more info from snowman:
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:YsG9-Ztd41kJ:www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D14497+snowman3000+C%2B&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14302

Back