new thiele

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
finally.. got my EV12L thiele, I have been looking for one for months and this one popped up randomly locally for a steal.

rig2.jpg

My new C+ 'tower of tone'

I still cannot get over how huge this thing sounds.. you always read the comments about it sounding like a 4x12 but it's honestly true. This little guy puts out a TON of tight, chunky bass it's unreal. Cleans are much better now as well with the 200W EV.

Yeh man , punchiness is the thiele's fortay .

I hope that monotreme is wearing ear protection .

:wink:

EV Thieles are what I used to replace my half-stacks years ago, never looked back. I was reading recently that the EV versions are no longer available, and there's been a couple of sellers in my area trying to hype up the price of their examples for sale. Why did Mesa stop making them?

Platypus
Man your family is on a roll, you pick up a Thiele, your dad gets a Mark II C+. Whats next?

Well after some comparison I feel like I like the combination of the EV thiele and the 2x12 the best.

The thiele is great, super clear.. and it has a lot of punchiness to it, but it doesn't have that bass whalop that the 2x12 has. The 2x12 tends to get a bit muddy on its own however.

Together, you get the low end punch as well as the crystal clear highs, it's really awesome.

I imagine the thiele would really come alive if I put some volume through it, unfortunately I can only jam with low volumes so the bass is kind of anemic.

I am pleased with the addition overall, I cannot put the thiele through its paces yet but already I can tell the EV is so much more clear than the V30s

I'm beginning to wonder if this EV just isn't broken in yet, there seems to be an abundance of treble the more I am playing with it. It's extremely clear but at the same time not very warm.

Platypus said:
I'm beginning to wonder if this EV just isn't broken in yet, there seems to be an abundance of treble the more I am playing with it. It's extremely clear but at the same time not very warm.

The beam on those biotches is very direct. It shoots the treble right out of the middle and it's pretty focused. In a bedroom situation it may be a bit obnoxious, but live it will cut very well. I usually have to turn mine at an angle to avoid the treble bight. It's a very wide range speaker that translates amps for what they are. With the C+, it can make them seem to have a lot of highs and bottom end.

Boogiebabies said:
Platypus said:

The beam on those biotches is very direct. It shoots the treble right out of the middle and it's pretty focused. In a bedroom situation it may be a bit obnoxious, but live it will cut very well. I usually have to turn mine at an angle to avoid the treble bight. It's a very wide range speaker that translates amps for what they are. With the C+, it can make them seem to have a lot of highs and bottom end.

Gotcha, that makes sense.. though I'm not getting much bottom end at all..either way combined with the 2x12 recto it sounds massive and clear so I'm happy there. Live will be the true test because this room is small as hell and cramped.

Live it will sound amazing for sure but also remember that if you place the thiele on the ground it will have much more bottom end being ported and all... My dual thieles sounded killer with my Mark IV when I had that rig...

Have ago at putting alitte bit of gafe tape on the grill so it's over where speakers dust cap is.. It's works so well.. same idea as the beam blocker,i love it will my 1x12 cab's..

I never ABed them directly but as i recall them, I would take my EV thiele over my v30 recto 2x12 every day. the recto cab was amazingly bulky and difficult to carry - the new ones are gonna have side handles like a roadster combo, but mine did not - while at the same time it was woofy and may not have been the best choice to go with the F50 (which can be a loose amp as some of you may know).

Really I like EVs more than celestions at this point, though, and unless you can have a 4x12 of V30s I just don't like them as much anymore.

I love the sound of the EV way more than the V30's by far right now but I am just missing some low end. I will try moving it to the floor and see if that improves things a bit. It's actually really sweet with both of them together.

Platypus said:

You may be running into some phase cancellation . I would check the polarity of the wiring in all cab's , if that is OK, then move them around a bit to reorient . Ditto on the directionality issue ; up close it's laser beam city . :wink:

Buddy said:
Platypus said:

You may be running into some phase cancellation . I would check the polarity of the wiring in all cab's , if that is OK, then move them around a bit to reorient . Ditto on the directionality issue ; up close it's laser beam city . :wink:

You think the polarity might be switched on the EV? Even when I play the EV alone in its current elevated state it sounds anemic compared to when I demoe'd it at louder volumes. There's a clip in the inside, can you even clip it the wrong way? I haven't looked at it closely.

Back