New MXR / Bradshaw pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberscott

Reaction score
I've been looking at boost pedals for a solo boost for my MKIV - been looking at the MXR Micro Amp up to now, but I notice that MXR have just released a couple of new pedals in collaboration with Bob Bradshaw - one being a boost. From what I hear it's basically a MIcro Amp with a Bradshaw-designed buffer.

I'm not entirely sure what this means in terms of performance of the pedal, as buffers (as I understand it) are mainly to ensure an even signal level from beginning to end of the loop. If anyone's got more info I'd love to hear.

Actually - is it feasible to use the boost in the MKIV's loop? Would keep the number of pedals on the floor down - I run my setup dry anyway, so the loop could be used solely for the boost. Or is it better to have it in front of the amp so it hits the preamp harder? I'm not looking for any more gain, just an increase in volume.

Ta muchly!

as much as I could imagine a buffer is the classical circuit that allows the signal travel alongs the cables without no looses. I never undestand the term buffer on analog electronics, because when I studied electronics the buffer was a digital term that means an intermediate memory that allows to do faster calcs and process with data, for example the classical cache memory.
As buffer I must understand the input impedance as higher as you can to get all the signal in the pedal and not loose it on the cable as the voltage divider saids....

A buffer more or less isolates the input from the output. With a typical opamp-based buffer circuit used in a stompbox for guitar, the guitar sees a very high impedance at the input of the buffer. You can run the lower Z output of the buffer into just about any other stompbox or amp, and it will not affect the guitar signal at the input of the buffer, that is, it will not load the guitar.

Back