Need some IIC+ info help.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boogiebabies said:
We know that the # 15,000 exists, thanks to Ian, but between 14367/400 to 14,999 don't seem to exist.

Hmmm... Smells like a conspiracy. Randall and Mike have hoarded about 650+/- C+'s. When the used market hits its peak, they will "find" these NOS Boogies, and sell them for $5000 and up depending on options :lol: :lol: :lol: . Just kidding, Ed. Keep digging, and you will most certainly solve this mystery. I am curious, too.

I never understood how there could be 1499 IIC+'s between 12500 and 15000, even so I wanted to find the beginning and the end. I always wondered about both schematics having a 1985 copyright. I did not realize they were probably done at the same time or relatatively close.

I still need a 100W OT #.

You can do it !!!!

Boogiebabies said:
Leave it to Miguel to Hi-Jack a scientific study in favor of a pre 500 Dual Rectifier.

IIC+'s only please. 8)

This is all for the IIC+ for Dummies Guide. This is only like the third post I started since I've been here, so hook a brother up.

Still need to verify the 100W OT and the highest serial number.

Right...2 stickies in Vintage section: C+ and III; then another sticky in Modern section.

Or we could just tap a wire from your brain straight into cyberspace and info will magically appear on our screens.
Good luck w. the project! Let us know when you're done!

gts said:
Well this may not help much but Mesa sent me a IIC Catalog postmarked May 17, 1985. Beside the catalog they sent the price sheet which states it's the "Price List September 84". They were still making IIC's at this time (May '85). I distinctly remember being told by a Mesa salesman (probably Frank Goodman who wrote the cover letter included with the catalog and price list) that the next best and greatest thing the Mark III was coming; that I should wait and get one when it comes out. It was supposed to be better than the current production of IIC's due to it being tri-mode.

Not that this shows any serial number history but fwiw I still have the envelope with the postmark, IIC catalog and Price list.
Why would they have sent all of this in May of 85 if they were no longer making IIC's?

Of course, an 8 month old price list and a IIC catalog. If you called to order, I am sure they pushed the III. By March 85, the III had began. So far, the oldest IIC+ I have found is 14367 from 4/85. The 15114 is a DR 13 which puts week one in March 85. Week 1 would have been January 85, which is C+ production, and the C+ week code continued from week 1 in April 1984 to the last week of production.

I don't know if it helps... so, just in case.

I called Mesa Boogie at the beginning of November 1985 to order a IIC (at that time, I didn't know that a IIC+ existed).

They told me that there was a 6-month waiting list for the IIC and that, if I wanted it, I could make a small downpayment and pay the amp in full when I get it.

I said I was planning to travel to the US within the next 15 or 20 days and I needed to pick it up while in the US.

They said that I should consider, then, a Mark III. That one could be delivered within 2 to 3 weeks, so I ordered it.
Regards
Daniel

Guitarzan said:
I'll see what can be done... in the other forum of course.

Which other forum?

I remember visiting a website a while ago with records of Mesa Boogie serial numbers. Anyone got the link?

it's funny becasue i was just looking thought that reg and the highest c+ is 14367 and the lowest III was 15115...

Whats going on!

igfraso said:
I don't know if it helps... so, just in case.

I called Mesa Boogie at the beginning of November 1985 to order a IIC (at that time, I didn't know that a IIC+ existed).

They told me that there was a 6-month waiting list for the IIC and that, if I wanted it, I could make a small downpayment and pay the amp in full when I get it.

I said I was planning to travel to the US within the next 15 or 20 days and I needed to pick it up while in the US.

They said that I should consider, then, a Mark III. That one could be delivered within 2 to 3 weeks, so I ordered it.
Regards
Daniel

By 11/85 The C+ was gone. The 6 month order time was to blow you off for a MK III and not piss you off on a MK II. I would also assume they were out of transformers, but what we don't know is how many customers waited the 6 months.

Boogiebabies said:
By 11/85 The C+ was gone. The 6 month order time was to blow you off for a MK III and not piss you off on a MK II. I would also assume they were out of transformers, but what we don't know is how many customers waited the 6 months.

Yes, it makes sense. At that time, I wasn't aware that a MK III existed as well and they talked me into buying one. Which was very good for me at the time... a MK III in my hand was much better than a rain check for a IIC/IIC+.

Anyway, there seemed to be a lag of some months between the date inside the chassis and the date of shipment (assembly of the whole head/combo parts, sound testing, etc).

Could it be that they had a stock of chassis ready and they were bleeding it off during the following months?
Could it be that they finished as many IIC+ as they could with the parts at hand and they decided to start the MK III tally at #15,000 no matter which was the last IIC+ S/N?

With the MK IV, they started from scratch so it would also make sense.
Best regards
Daniel

igfraso said:
Boogiebabies said:

Yes, it makes sense. At that time, I wasn't aware that a MK III existed as well and they talked me into buying one. Which was very good for me at the time... a MK III in my hand was much better than a rain check for a IIC/IIC+.

Anyway, there seemed to be a lag of some months between the date inside the chassis and the date of shipment (assembly of the whole head/combo parts, sound testing, etc).

Could it be that they had a stock of chassis ready and they were bleeding it off during the following months?
Could it be that they finished as many IIC+ as they could with the parts at hand and they decided to start the MK III tally at #15,000 no matter which was the last IIC+ S/N?

With the MK IV, they started from scratch so it would also make sense.
Best regards
Daniel

Very possible. Mesa was able to do IIC upgrades with "Pull Deep" faceplates for a while as well. The chassis is virtually the same as the C, so no difference there other than and extra punch for the R2 footswitch jack.

I don't have my amp in front of me but i do know that Mike at Mesa confirmed my amp as a orig. C+ AND it has a serial # pre 12500--something like 12347. Does this help account for the discrepancy?

It would add to the discrepency. With that serial number we would be looking for the Chassis logo and build week. 12347 may be a week one.
On the side of the chassis it will have the options, like D for Simul- R- for Reverb- G gor Graphic or S for Sixty, H for 100 Watt. SRG, DRG, HRG SR, HR etc and a week number like 1 or 2.

Boogiebabies said:
It would add to the discrepency. With that serial number we would be looking for the Chassis logo and build week. 12347 may be a week one.
On the side of the chassis it will have the options, like D for Simul- R- for Reverb- G gor Graphic or S for Sixty, H for 100 Watt. SRG, DRG, HRG SR, HR etc and a week number like 1 or 2.

Just a quick off topic question:
Mine is built 03/85, but it says DRG X 5 on the side of the chassis... how could that be? Week 5 is in February. How exactly does that work?

The X is for the Export transformer. The DRG week should continue from 4/84 to the week of IIC+ production. I have a 2/85 and will double check the week code.

D= Simul-Class
R= Reverb
G= Graphic
X= Export

Week Code = ?

Week 5 would be February of 85, per se. The final tech may not have been done until March.

Octavarius said:
Just a quick off topic question:
Mine is built 03/85, but it says DRG X 5 on the side of the chassis... how could that be? Week 5 is in February. How exactly does that work?

I don't know for sure if the side chassis markings and under chassis markings are done at the same time/by the same person. I do know that Mike B. told me that the serial #'s were not stamped until the chassis was installed into the cabinet of choice. Hence, they were not serialized in order of chassis production.

I am assuming this serialization process is more accurate towards the actual amps as completed then.

The option codes and the week code are different. I have a DRG 13 with a final tech of 8/84. The chassis was started in June and the amp was teched in August. Just finding a DRG or any code from week 1 and the tech date and a week code as high as possible with the tech date. The serial number sequence is one problem and the beginning and end of the production weeks are another. Like the 1268X with a DRG 6, it was teched in 6/84. To me it seems the turn around time was about two months per order. So Lets say an HRG 1 at 14,400 from 4/84 it would possibly have been started in 2/84 due to the 2 month turn around time.
Serial wise, 12,400 in 4/84 to 13,200 in 8/84 still roughly estimates 200 amps per month capacity or 10 amps per day with 20 working days in a month. Five years in, can some one find me a week 1 and a week 52 or higher?

Just an updated fyi--my Mark IIC+ has a serial # of 12489. Again, this was confirmed as a C+ by Mesa/Boogie. I didn't open up the amp yet to get the production codes.

It has come to mind that an amp produced as a IIC+ in April 1984 with a two month turn around time would put the order in at February of 1984.
I think this is when it all started.

Latest posts

Back