My New Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
primeholy said:
Burstbuckers are too bright with the wrong cab and speakers. I was playing a lp standard through a marshall 410 and a widebody front ported mesa cab, but when I got my standard with burstbuckers it was too brittle. I got a mesa traditional 412 with black shadow c90's and it sounds f%&# killer now! :mrgreen:

I think you hit the nail on the head. I dug out another guitar, an old Burny Les Paul with slightly hotter, darker pickups and not only did the highs smooth out on ch.2 but ch.3 really got more of a sustain/liquid tone. I like where I'm headed although I feel like I'm starting over, in a sense.

Try a new cab on Monday.

JOEY B. said:
Disconnect the footswitch, and use the rear panel switch to change channels. The fooswitch cable has been a known issue for a good while now.

Yep. That did it. I should probably browse some threads to learn more on this issue.

TChannel 3: Try the IIc+ mode 45 watts, triode on variac , aggressive v on the EQ, gain at 3oclock, bass 9oclock everything else to your ears.

Mark V definitely sounds different through different cabs.

before you decide to get rid of it, do try 6L6's. You could be one of THOSE guys who prefers them to the EL34's.

i don't actually like the mark v though my recto 2x12, but though my traditional recto is is bigger and bolder.
many many tones can be dialed in on this amp.

you just need to experiment and if after awhile you don't like it, then like everyone says, not the amp for you.
Perhaps this is the reason i have many amps. i change tones with my moods.
hint: Ch.2 Crunch has some very good tones, as well as Extreme, of course.
I tried the Petrucci settings, wasn't a big fan of the settings.
Just need to experiment and you will probably find something you like. it is easier than some other amps, but it is also harder as well.

Update:

So I never had a chance to try a new cab, I just kept working with cab#2 which has Eminence Texas Heats. I've pretty much nailed my lead tone on ch.3 with the help of the preset EQ at 11:00-ish. Nice sustaining, singing throaty mids with no real apparent grind on the top end. I hear the note more than the distortion.

Channel 1 is set up for a fat tone with some good break up. I can dial back my guitar's volume and go totally clean or open it up and I'm in Black Crowes neighborhood.

Channel 2 is another matter. I'm still working on it, but my efforts have been focused on getting rid of the harsh, teeth-shattering high end in Mark I mode. The best so far is cutting the presence to almost OFF and cranking the treble. I don't know what frequncy range the presence is at, but man, it's harsh. I'm using EQ sliders on a somewhat modified "V" curve.

It just seems like Mark I mode doesn't jump out without the presence knob. And to my ears, the mid control is less involved. I can get a tone and it isn't a huge difference whether the mids are dimed or totally off.

What have I learned? I have made slight tweaks all over the place and it has changed my view of this amp. Turning one control to it's extremities may not accomplish as much as several small adjustments.

Back