My Boogie Mark IIB Story

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotusferengi

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here and just wanted to share my boogie story here. I am German (so I translated this text into English with google) and got the Mesa Boogie Mark IIB from my father in the early 90s (he bought it in the early 80s and then, because it was modern, went on a rack system with a 50/50 power amp and a Mesa preamp(?)). I also thought the Mark IIB was terribly old-fashioned, so I mounted the amp chassis in a 5U rack (where he has fitted in wonderfully) and hooked it up to a 4x12 Hiwatt box (unfortunately I sold the cabinet for €50...) Later I went back to the old boogie combo case. At some point when I was unloading from the car, the speaker cable got stuck and destroyed the membrane of the speaker, I threw the speaker in the garbage can without thinking about it and bought an Eminence replacement speaker (I would definitely not do it anymore today) years later I have the speaker exchanged for a Celestion V90 Black Shadow (but I can't remember which speaker was originally installed). As a kid of the 80's I always wanted a lot of distortion and so used a Mesa Boogie V-Twin as my pedal most of the time. Today I use the Revv Tilt Overdrive. I've always loved the sound of Santana, but wasn't able to get it with the boogie (my dad could, so I guess it's a lot to do with the different way you play..). I've been playing in a The Doors Tribute Band for 30 years now, and I've always tried to change the amp to get closer to the "Robby Krieger" sound (Fender Blues Deville, Marshall and also a Mesa Boogie Mark V, I resold them all). Most recently, I tried the UAFX Dream from Universal Audio and found that this "amp" also sounds far too shrill and the Boogie is simply the best-sounding amp for me.
The "Tube Amp Doctor" is based around the corner from me, so it's easy to have him serviced regularly, I hope he lives for a long time.... That was my boogie story.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1991.jpg
    1991.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
  • Boogie Gig1.JPG
    Boogie Gig1.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Mark V.JPG
    Mark V.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
Exact same amp as mine..Just be careful with that speaker as it's only 50 watts..I suppose if you're not playing loud that should be ok but that speaker was originally for a 22 watt amp (Studio 22) and the caliber 50 used it too I think.The mark IIB originally came with the MS12 150 watts or the upgraded EV 12L 200 watts...Great amp though..I love mines.

.Just be careful with that speaker as it's only 50 watts..

Er, no....... I've thrashed both of mine separately with amps closer to 100w output, and I haven't managed to blow either of them up yet: it's a 90w speaker afaik.

It came as standard in some MkIVs, and pretty much every ED 1x12 too IIRC (my MkIV and ED both had them in).

Last edited:
Er, no....... I've thrashed both of mine separately with amps closer to 100w output, and I haven't managed to blow either of them up yet: it's a 90w speaker afaik.

It came as standard in some MkIVs, and pretty much every ED 1x12 too IIRC (my MkIV and ED both had them in).
I'm afraid you're mistaken pal..It's a 50 watt speaker and it definitely wouldn't have came stock in a Mk IV..More likely that would have been an EV 12L

You are all right, I was indeed mistaken it is not a Celestion V90 I have installed, but a type VS-12 (50W). What do you think of it? If you research, then you end up with EVM 12L or Mesa Boogie MS12 which are hardly found on the market. Alternatively an eminence delta pro 12a, but I can only find 400W versions. Should I exchange the VS-12? In my project studio I have a grossmann iso cab which is equipped with a Celestion G12K-100 12'' 100W 8 Ohm, would this be an alternative for the VS-12?

Attachments

• Mesa Boogie Black Shadow Vintage VS-12.JPG
    Mesa Boogie Black Shadow Vintage VS-12.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ah, well that would explain it - the Celestion I was talking about (Black Shadow) is a circa 90W speaker - and I was under the impression when he said "Celestion Black Shadow" that it was a Celestion Black Shadow.....

And "pal"........?

Last edited:
My MKIIB has MS12 which I think was an Eminence rated higher than the amps 60w. I mainly use 12 cabs with the BS C90, which are the 90w celestiions. Never blown any of those. Got an Evm12L but don’t care for it much. Tested V30s back in the day, but a little dirtier than I needed, so moved back to C90s.

Ah, well that would explain it - the Celestion I was talking about (Black Shadow) is a circa 90W speaker - and I was under the impression when he said "Celestion Black Shadow" that it was a Celestion Black Shadow.....

And "pal"........?
Pal just means "Mate" or Friend etc.

Should I exchange the VS-12? In my project studio I have a grossmann iso cab which is equipped with a Celestion G12K-100 12'' 100W 8 Ohm, would this be an alternative for the VS-12?
This is like asking should I eat steak, pork chops, beer battered fish fry or just get a stout nut brown ale and skip the protein.

The answer is how does it sound to you? It was used in many halfbacks in different combinations (closed bottom or open/convertible top) and was the common combo compliment for the EL84 studio/caliber/DC/etc lines.

Without giving it much thought I'm sure I'd be able to name at least 8 speakers a black shadow/vintage black shadow sticker is attached to. As a wholly audio pallet of personal preference I think Mesa did a great job pairing speakers that work for most. And their online shop has drivers that are popular alternatives.

The C90 is accepted as a great all around speaker (a rare thing), the MS-12 (150W) not as universally respected, the VS-12 is the red headed step child but 4x = 200W and usable (or a VS pair with any higher rated pair the same 200W). The 12L is love or hate it would seem. From experience I can tell you go play guitar with a speaker you like and stay away from this rabbit hole or you'll never see the sunshine again.

I can't speak for the 100 you mentioned but it's on the list and I know what to expect of it. If it was me I would pair the IIB with a 4x12 halfback of the same era and go over the entire cab with a screwdriver 1st- 12Lx4. If I was anyone else and didn't hate the 12L I would have 12L's down and MC90's up open back. The best is to have more cabs so you don't have to commit and either way you will feel the force on your legs.

Here is my latest black shadow swap finally complete. My first non-halfback 800W 4EB!

Attachments

• 20230426_114902.jpg
    20230426_114902.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230426_114953.jpg
    20230426_114953.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 0
Back