My new AXE-FX rig is complete (UPDATED)!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you need to try out the fortin amps next.. maybe the meathead?

maybe mesa will come out with a new preamp... i'm sure we can come up with plenty more ideas that might strike your fancy for a new amp. :)

Seriously- DO NOT- (really...) Plug into a Dyne.

Ever.

Once you do there is no going back....

If the AXE can do what the Dyne does, I would be ALL-IN....but I don't think there is another amp that can....or a modeler for that matter....

Love to hear someone come close though...just don't think a string of 1's and 0's is quite there yet....

Can you plug those (AXE-FX) into the Power Amp "IN" of a regular guitar amp?
I thought these preamp's were mostly used for effects/wet-dry/stereo kind of rigs. Is it common for guys to plug a guitar in and use it as a "normal" pre+power guitar amp.
Thanks

denny said:
I thought these preamp's were mostly used for effects/wet-dry/stereo kind of rigs. Is it common for guys to plug a guitar in and use it as a "normal" pre+power guitar amp.
Thanks

If you mean going through the FX return of an amp, then yes, that would work just fine. There are lots of options for hooking this unit up which is part of what makes it so versatile. I've been using two PA monitors lately and love the stereo effects! I can also use two different cabs for each channel.

denny said:
Thanks

Yes it is extremely common to use the Axe Fx as a "normal" preamp. That's one of the things that sets it apart. It's known for having the best amp modeling on the market and I've seen a lot of guys like Musicman here that find that they don't need a "real" amp anymore because of it.

Laskyman said:

Ever.

If the AXE can do what the Dyne does, I would be ALL-IN....but I don't think there is another amp that can....or a modeler for that matter....

Love to hear someone come close though...just don't think a string of 1's and 0's is quite there yet....

Hey, sorry I missed your post! Send me a soundclip of your amp pumping out the tone that you like most and I'll see if I can reproduce it with the AXE. 8)

MusicManJP6 said:
Laskyman said:

Ever.

Hey, sorry I missed your post! Send me a soundclip of your amp pumping out the tone that you like most and I'll see if I can reproduce it with the AXE. 8)
I know you didn't throw the offer out to me, but I'd love to see if you can get near this:

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/92-2010%2002-21%20Uber%20G12M%20Behemoth.mp3

Let me know if you're willing to try!

Hey, sorry I missed your post! Send me a soundclip of your amp pumping out the tone that you like most and I'll see if I can reproduce it with the AXE.

My only recording option right now is a Boss BR600 (pretty cool for quiet scratch tracks), but I will try to borrow a couple mics from church and capture some "snap shots" of each voicing, with and without reverb. I wish I was in SC with my rig, because I would LOVE to set these against each other "MANO E MANO"...I am skeptical that the AXE preamps would deliver what the Dyne does, but the AXEFX is definately in the same league as the EVENTIDES as far as processing....

Give me some time to get something together- I will contact you when its ready to roll-

Turumbar82 said:
denny said:
Thanks

Yes it is extremely common to use the Axe Fx as a "normal" preamp. That's one of the things that sets it apart. It's known for having the best amp modeling on the market and I've seen a lot of guys like Musicman here that find that they don't need a "real" amp anymore because of it.
I sort of have blinders on (a lot of guys do) when it comes to solid state stuff. So I am just curious, do you have much experience comparing the AXE-FX through a SS power amp as opposed to a Tube power amp??
Maybe there is a lot of info on this forum now regarding that topic. I don't mind doing a search, but if you want to throw in your 2 CENTS........
Thanks

denny said:
I sort of have blinders on (a lot of guys do) when it comes to solid state stuff. So I am just curious, do you have much experience comparing the AXE-FX through a SS power amp as opposed to a Tube power amp??
Maybe there is a lot of info on this forum now regarding that topic. I don't mind doing a search, but if you want to throw in your 2 CENTS........
Thanks

When you use an Axe through a tube power amp all the different amp sims start to sound somewhat similar. This is due to a tube power amp having a defined coloring effect which depending on what patches you use could be a blessing, BUT if you expect to get a VOX AC30 sim to sound like the real deal, if you are using a Mesa 2:90 its not going to come as close as you'd want.

With that said most folks like to go the SS approach, looking for something thats crystal clear and with little to no coloration. This allows the Axe to do the work on simulating the different power sections of different amps. So your Marshalls will sound like Marshalls, Fenders like Fenders, Mesas like Mesas, etc. The tube tone and feel are there even plugging into a pair of studio monitors so as long as you use a SS power amp that's as transparent as possible with the most amount of headroom possible your good to go.

The next step would be to go with a powered SS cabinet. This will allow the Axe to model the cab as well because if you have a SS power amp going through a Mesa Recto cab, you'd be missing out on all the different cabinet/speaker combinations that the Axe can model. They refer to this as the FRFR (Full Range Flat response) and basically seeks to be as neutral as possible without coloring the sound coming out of the Axe.

I've tried all three approaches and they're all good, all depends on how much you want the Axe to model for you and how heavy you want you're gear to be at the end of the day. With the FRFR setup you could get away with a 2-3 space rack to carry around the AXE and then a compact powered speaker like the Atomic FR or QSC HPR122i.

Good info, jdurso! At this point, I prefer my SS power amp through the 3/4 back cab. I get a nice array of tones. If I come upon a stash of money some how then I'll grab a passive Atomic Reactor FR cab for use with the cab sims.... until then.... I'm happy!

jdurso said:
denny said:
Thanks

When you use an Axe through a tube power amp all the different amp sims start to sound somewhat similar. This is due to a tube power amp having a defined coloring effect which depending on what patches you use could be a blessing, BUT if you expect to get a VOX AC30 sim to sound like the real deal, if you are using a Mesa 2:90 its not going to come as close as you'd want.

With that said most folks like to go the SS approach, looking for something thats crystal clear and with little to no coloration. This allows the Axe to do the work on simulating the different power sections of different amps. So your Marshalls will sound like Marshalls, Fenders like Fenders, Mesas like Mesas, etc. The tube tone and feel are there even plugging into a pair of studio monitors so as long as you use a SS power amp that's as transparent as possible with the most amount of headroom possible your good to go.

The next step would be to go with a powered SS cabinet. This will allow the Axe to model the cab as well because if you have a SS power amp going through a Mesa Recto cab, you'd be missing out on all the different cabinet/speaker combinations that the Axe can model. They refer to this as the FRFR (Full Range Flat response) and basically seeks to be as neutral as possible without coloring the sound coming out of the Axe.

I've tried all three approaches and they're all good, all depends on how much you want the Axe to model for you and how heavy you want you're gear to be at the end of the day. With the FRFR setup you could get away with a 2-3 space rack to carry around the AXE and then a compact powered speaker like the Atomic FR or QSC HPR122i.

This does make a lot of sense to me. But it assumes one thing: That the SS power amp has enough clean headroom to avoid clipping. This means more power reserve, that can be many times what you would expect for a Tube amp.
Tube amps will naturally compress avoiding the harsh "almost a squarewave" distortion that SS is notorious for. And when SS does distort, things get real ugly, real fast.

So where 50 or 100w per channel is usually plenty with a Tube amp, getting comparable clean headroom from SS could easily mean 300-500w per ch.
Likely still cheaper and lighter than a tube amp, but the gap starts to close....food for thought.... :D

Anomaly said:
Killer Tone here>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqkO2DsnALo

for a small setup :D
Meh...fizzy with what sounds like too much gain IMO. It doesn't sound bad, no, but for me, it's a far cry from killer.

Anomaly said:
Killer Tone here>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqkO2DsnALo

for a small setup :D

:lol: this guy used to post here all the time, he is the biggest gear ***** on the planet (not a bad thing) and will have sold that axefx in six months.

I think youtube compression isn't doing that washy reverb any favours, if he turned some of that **** off it would probably sound better

I can't believe how many amps you've gone thru since I've been a member on this board :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Congrats, I'm gasing for an Ultra myself, but I can't bear to part with my Mark IV or my 5150 II
..............................................yet :D

Technique trumps equipment once the basics are covered.....

I am still chugging away on guitar lessons. Not near as good as some of the people posting on this forum. Some truly great players on here. But someday....

My guitar teacher won three consecutive years of Guitar Center national Guitarmageddon challenge. He has the Music Man guitar they gave away as one of the prizes. In the practice room of the studio, he plays that into a little crate amp. Sounded awesome. Last week I used that and he played his old LP. There was a drop off for some reason... :shock: The kind of thing that keeps one learning.

If you are a great player, even an Axe-Fx will sound great. I think that is what is happening with the internet postings of new equipment. Get a great player, and now the next amp modeling gizmo sounds AWESOME. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But the AXE is not just another amp. its a device that gives you tones of many a amps out there and it reproduces them very well. So, once you have the axe, theoretically, you can stop GAS'ing for any other amp. I'm so convinced of it, I have not turned on the Mark IV in about 2 months and the the Bogner has not been turned on since I got the AXE and ART SLA-2. The amount of tone shaping, the "feel" of playing a tube amp and not having to worry about biasing, impedance matching, etc. and the weight. The uber weighs a ton and its unbalanced weight. At least when you pick up the mark iv, the weight is evenly distributed. but on the Uber one side weighs like 40 lbs and the other side 20 lbs. :lol:

Latest posts

Back