My new AXE-FX rig is complete (UPDATED)!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THTH said:
How much will this thing be worth in 5 years?
Yeah, I was really scared to get this because the month after I bought an Ipod for $326, a better one came out and all of a sudden my ipod was worthless. However, I still use the same Ipod and its more than enough for my needs. That's the way to look at it. Will the AXE suffice your present needs? Its like buying a car. Once it rolls out of the dealership, it loses 20% value. :)

THTH said:
How much will this thing be worth in 5 years?

Very succinct post!

Once the axe-fx gets superceded by something else it will no doubt decrease in value and desireability, i'll bet a mark v would be a classic in years to come like its forebears!

Value, used or new, is relative. Are you looking at every gear purchase as an investment or do you purchase the gear that gives you the tone and features that you need as a player.

ryjan said:
Value, used or new, is relative. Are you looking at every gear purchase as an investment or do you purchase the gear that gives you the tone and features that you need as a player.
That in itself is kind of telling. If you get a Mark V because of tone, chances are there will - for many - never be something to replace the Mark V tone, the same way previous Mark amps are not completely replaced by the V. The Axe-FX will keep getting better, making past versions 100% obsolete when put against new ones.

I personally look at the resale value of different amps. If I found something that I knew would depreciate in value but sounded better than anything else, and it would lose most of its value in a few years, I'd still go for it. But I don't own an Axe-FX, nor the desire to, so I don't have that issue.

I think I have asked this before but does anyone know or know of any artists who are actually using the Axe-Fx in a live rig?

CoG said:
I think I have asked this before but does anyone know or know of any artists who are actually using the Axe-Fx in a live rig?
Here's a link to the artist page. http://www.fractalaudio.com/artist.html
I wouldn't be too concerned with depreciation. You can never find a used one and the firmware updates keep every unit at the cutting edge. There are 5 Mark V's on Ebay right now. Just saying. :wink:

ryjan said:
CoG said:
Here's a link to the artist page. http://www.fractalaudio.com/artist.html

there's a bit of a difference between "on the artist page" and "actually uses it to pay the bills"

but even aside from that, all judgements on what's good music/good tone aside this isn't exactly a list of people who are at the high point of their musical careers, and the bigger names on here are dudes who have always been really into far-out gear and processing.

I think what I'm saying here is that the AXE-FX has had a few years now to break through outside of gearheads on the internet, and for a variety of reasons it isn't happening.

edit: I think I will answer my own question here by saying that the types of guitar-based music that are commercially viable right now, which are metal- and metal-influenced sounds and country, are also the ones which to a large extent rely on pretty characteristic guitar tones and there's a huge variety of proven gear available that does those things already.

Big name artist are usually endorsed by an amp company or are very successful and can go out and buy a Diezel, five Marshals, some rectos, and a vintage Fender twin. Amatures, small time bands, and tweakers typically cant afford a stable of top shelf amps and effects and speaker cabs like that. Would I rather play the real deal? Hell yes! But I dont have the sctatch for the gear that this unit models. Of course, personal preference is will determine value. 95% of a lot or 100% of one? Luckily for me I only need two tones and my Mark IV delivers both for me. This whole modeler vs tube amp thing is starting to remind me of the muscle car vs tuner debates. :wink: The answer is in your ear (and wallet).

i went through the axe-fx stage...although it did sound pretty good i could not get a good live sound (loud).
and most of the amp sims sounded the same..reminded me of the randall modules. effects were top shelf though. i found myself constantly turning knobs and and tweaking.plus the aggravation of finding a midi controller to work right with it...they should have made their own from the get go... i will say that a ss power amp sounds better with this unit. i tried a peavey,vht,and a mesa power amp. before setteling on a carvin ss..the axe rules for recording but it didnt work for me live.. JMHO

i thought i saw you on the fractal boards. its like you keep following me, or maybe vice versa. sold the mark iv long ago and dont have regrets yet. still mainly use the mark and recto sims. its just really nice to be able to put any drive in front or any sort of effect, anywhere, anytime.

rectofried said:
i went through the axe-fx stage...although it did sound pretty good i could not get a good live sound (loud).
and most of the amp sims sounded the same..reminded me of the randall modules. effects were top shelf though. i found myself constantly turning knobs and and tweaking.plus the aggravation of finding a midi controller to work right with it...they should have made their own from the get go... i will say that a ss power amp sounds better with this unit. i tried a peavey,vht,and a mesa power amp. before setteling on a carvin ss..the axe rules for recording but it didnt work for me live.. JMHO

Yeah, I'm very disappointed with the way the AXE handles MIDI. 3 different OS's and two different midi devices so far and no luck communicating with the axe. I am a MIDI-noob, but with little or no difficulty I was able to get the Boss GT-8 and JMP-1 work in the past. Not sure why its so difficult with the axe.

the axe is very sensitive to guitar/pickup changes. I've had the unit for less than 3 weeks but I feel I've known it all along. I've worked extensively on the Boss GT-8 in the past and I think that experience is helping me a LOT. I just realized that I'm gonna setup presets for each guitar. I would set up all presets with a DK2M tuned to C with 13's and wonder why the ESP/LTD tuned to E with 11's sounded so different. Not to mention the DK2M has a X2N and the ESP/LTD has GFS Crunchy rails. :lol: Plus it has TONS of options and you can very easily start going on the wrong path. The very first time I started tweaking on an amp's tone, I would go into the presence freq, the LF transformer, bright cap, etc. and after tweaking for a while, it would sound like crap. Make very small adjustments at a time.

fatoni said:
i thought i saw you on the fractal boards. its like you keep following me, or maybe vice versa. sold the mark iv long ago and dont have regrets yet. still mainly use the mark and recto sims. its just really nice to be able to put any drive in front or any sort of effect, anywhere, anytime.

Hey man, I didn't know you joined the AXE ranks. Welcome!

I'll stay out of the rest of the debate, but would like to add that I've not had any MIDI problems and the FCB1010 is working like a charm. No regrets about selling the MV. My amp GAS is completely gone, but my guitar GAS is in full swing now. Too bad I like my current guitars too much to give them up for something else. Fractal needs to make a guitar modeler!

Musicman you are a Jedi.......I still know by the time my next child is born (September) that you will have a new rig lol. I'm kidding but odds are in my favor. Enjoy the AXE. You have more vids up yet?

MusicManJP6 said:
Hey man, I didn't know you joined the AXE ranks. Welcome!

I'll stay out of the rest of the debate, but would like to add that I've not had any MIDI problems and the FCB1010 is working like a charm. No regrets about selling the MV. My amp GAS is completely gone, but my guitar GAS is in full swing now. Too bad I like my current guitars too much to give them up for something else. Fractal needs to make a guitar modeler!

it does suck that while my amp/fx gas is gone, the guitar gas has taken up that space. i just got an axis ss and im re-falling in love with that model again. i just ditched the atomic fr for the qsc k12 and its pretty impressive

also ive seen devin townsend and cynic live and they both had great tone with the axe fx. they are on the axe boards too which really helps when trying to emulate their tones :D

Sixstringpsycho said:
Musicman you are a Jedi.......I still know by the time my next child is born (September) that you will have a new rig lol. I'm kidding but odds are in my favor. Enjoy the AXE. You have more vids up yet?

No new vids up yet. I recorded a vid not too long ago but the camera's mic ruined the tone. Oddly enough, my webcam mic does better for audio than my digital camera, but for some reason it's not been recording video - just black screen. I need to just either record direct or slap a mic in front of my cab. No one really wants to see me on the internet anyway!

And, I've pretty much decided that if the AXE doesn't suit me then I need to just give up and move on to another hobby. For someone that has played guitar for 15+ years I'm not even all that good as I should (could) be! Haha.

MusicManJP6 said:
Sixstringpsycho said:

No new vids up yet. I recorded a vid not too long ago but the camera's mic ruined the tone. Oddly enough, my webcam mic does better for audio than my digital camera, but for some reason it's not been recording video - just black screen. I need to just either record direct or slap a mic in front of my cab. No one really wants to see me on the internet anyway!

And, I've pretty much decided that if the AXE doesn't suit me then I need to just give up and move on to another hobby. For someone that has played guitar for 15+ years I'm not even all that good as I should (could) be! Haha.

I feel ya there. I have been playing 16 ish years and should be a lot better but school and kids take up time. In October I finish my MBA and that signifies that I will never go back. That means more jamming. I have had the same amp for years I hope the Axe FX is the one for you.

Sixstringpsycho said:
...I hope the Axe FX is the one for you.

Me too brother! It was fun and exciting to trade out amps up until recently. I'm ready to be happy and just play. So far so good with the AXE. Any tone, any volume, with any effects, all in one unit. Cool!

MusicManJP6 said:
Sixstringpsycho said:

Get hooked in with a great guitar teacher. I take lessons from Jimmy Cypher. It took much searching and an hour drive each way.... Google him. He contributes to Guitar World "Betch Can't Play This" , recording artist, Guitarmageddon winner. LAS is the cure for GAS. It makes your old gear sound better. Jimmy has let me play that sunburst LP in most of his videos, for some reason it just does not sound as good!! Proof that good tone starts in the fingers. Don't buy any new gear, or give up.... get a phenomenal teacher and have a breakthrough in your playing.

I have thought about taking lessons again, but haven't had much faith in anyone around here to take from. I want to learn theory and work on my technique. I'm sure I have some terrible bad habits that have gone unnoticed and snuck into my technique.

Latest posts

Back