My MK11C+ incl photos

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dasein

Reaction score
I always wondered what that symbol below the power cord was... lol.

Here's my boogie -- fully loaded simul, Mark 2C+ Combo

my_amp.jpg

my_amp_back.jpg

I'm the original owner and I love this amp more than my ex-wife. (Actually, I probably love ice-cream more than my ex-wife too.... let's just say that I can't conceive of playing on anything else.)

You'll have to tell the little green monster to chill -- I seriously could never ever sell it. Once I went travelling for several years and was away from her. I almost was able to conceive of a life apart until I saw and heard her again and fell in love all over. I've a very small list of things I would take or try to save in a house fire --- the boogie is #1 - the next two are guitars. Try explaining that to the woman you love. Just make sure she has a strong back because the boogie is seriously heavy and I'll probably need her help with it.

Great site btw -- I'm really pleased to have found it.

Nice amp, but "teaser" pictures!

Post some nice big pics...be loud and proud! :D

Don't be afraid to show her "insides" too :wink:

I'll post some more pics -- recharging the camera battery right now.

When I bought the amp, it shipped with 4 6L6's..... Many years later I was told that I should run a pair of EL34's in the middle two positions to take advantage of the simulclass. Can anyone elaborate on the advantages or disadvantages of this. I did it, but was never really sold on the idea.

Also.... the wood. What is it? I'll post wood specific photos when the camera is up and running if needed.

Many thanks
Rob

No No!

The EL34's must be used in the OUTSIDE pair of sockets!

Download the manual off the Mesa website.

They do add another "flavor" to an already versatile amp. 8)

Let see my understanding is the mark under the cord are the initials of the guy doing the + mod. The + above the cord and the initials indicate it is the MKIIC+. The reason you might not have cared for the EL34s in the center sockets is because they should be in the outside sockets. :roll:

I love my MKIIC+'s as well. just terrific amps that make me sound better then I really am. :wink:

The Blond is a Smul-Class the Bubinga is a 60/100.

DSCN1069%20copy.jpg

DSCN1074%20copy.jpg

Sorry guys... I was speaking from memory. I had the EL34's in the outside sockets -- call it a brain fart. Here are the pics:

my_amp_front_detail.jpg

my_amp_detail_back.jpg

One problem I've had with the amp over the years is that I pick up radio stations on it. Anyone else have this problem?

know what you mean. it is a well known issue with the mk2c+ and is known to get worse with age. your best bet is to sell the amp to anyone gullible enough to take it off your hands. i suggest ebay right away!

That's a VERY sweet amp. 8)

One problem I've had with the amp over the years is that I pick up radio stations on it. Anyone else have this problem?

I would suggest sending it to Mesa for a cap job. The filter caps dry out and deteriorate with time. At 20+ years old, it's probably due. Mesa tech support is excellent and they should be able to give you a ballpark price over the phone.

Wow !!! What a nice IIC+. I wish I had one just like it. Oh, I do.
Were in the same club !!!!! The Hardwood, Simul, EQ, Reverb and road case gang. Mine is Bubinga. Is yours Imbuya?

Oh, yours is better. Mine has the 150w Eminence. I have a 12L to pop in, but I love the Eminence.

That amp is not modded. It is bone factory stock. The difference in the circuit is in how early in the 13000 range it is in. At some point in the 13200-13300 Mesa changed the Master Volume circuit and added a series resistor due to an unreliable supply of potetiometers. This is when CTS had them made in Taiwan and not the USA so the taper was all over the place.
To me, the 13200's and earlier have a tad more sweetness and the latter have a bit more edge and crazy volume tapers.

The initials MB, for Mike Bendinelli, indicate the creator and the chief engineer/tech of Boogie that oversaw the construction of your amp. Bendinelli kicks *** and I can't enough good things about him...nicest guy in the world. I would recommend either sending to Hollywood or to Bendo to have him look over it to see if anything needs replacing or updating.

I was having some funkiness for the last few years in my IIC+ (simul, rev, eq, long chassis head) and the guys at Hollywood replaced a couple bad resistors. The amp is SCREAMING NOW.

Is it crazy expensive to get done at Mesa? I imagine you'd have to ship it down...

Crazy Expensive...

What exactly does that mean?

There are quite a few amp techs who won't touch a Mesa product.

There are the techs that will work on your Mesa, but probably shouldn't...and/or lack the experience & know-how to get it done right, with the right parts...

The there is Mesa/Mike B. They'll do it right, turn it around relatively quick, and actually ADD to the value of your amp bt servicing/modding it.

Other than myself, or RussB, I would only let Mike Bendinelli touch her.
I would much prefer to work on an old Mesa than a new Mesa or Marshall.
The expense is relative. Do you haggle with your doctor, lawyer or mechanic. If you dont know what your doing, and your amp tech has no clue then get it to Mike. I can see a IIC+ that Mike has been in from a mile away. He makes a few tweaks, all of which he was kind enough to share with me for archival reasons, that are unmistakable.

Mike is the guy who tweaked the circuit. It was winter 1983 and Randall was in Germany at the Musikmesse and Mike went to refine the circuit and the rest is history. Doug West was involved as well. Dont forget to thank Tone Boy for his ears on that amp.

RussB does nice work.

I'm not knocking or making a case against sending my amp to mesa -- I'd love to (and most certainly will) - I'm just asking to get some idea how they charge -- ie, like do they have $1000 minimum, or a $500 service package where they do X,Y,Z then everything else beyond is additional.... how do they generally do this?

Hey there Dasein. Another Heidegger fan and IIC+ player "being there". ;> I find that the IIC+'s tone is full of authenticity ;>

What kind of music do you play through it, and what settings do you have?

Dave

Dasein, you should call Boogie and get a price. I'm sure the worst part of the whole thing will be the shipment charges...but where else can you get servicing for your amp by the guy who designed it?

Make sure to request that Mike does the servicing. I had a few resistors that needing replacing along with the preamp stage tubes replaced and it ran me $127. I live 30 minutes from Hollywood, so I opted to go that route instead of shipping (we all know what can happen) and if it was anything more serious, it was going to Boogie to have Mike fix it.

If I was in a situation where I needed it serviced and Boogie wasn't local, I would:

a. Not take it to anyone else but Boogie.
b. Ship it to Boogie with strict instructions for Mike B. to fix it.

My 2 cents. Good luck with your servicing and keep us posted on how it goes.

Latest posts

Back