My Mark IV Rev A build date on chassis - lookie!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Force

Reaction score
My Mark IV amps serial is: IV3497.

Upon inspecting my chassis, I located wiriting on the wing that is on the left edge of the amp chassis if looking at it from the back.

Check it out: as you can see, wired by Kaydee, 10-2-91

mesaboogiemkivbornondatth3.jpg

hope this is helpful and enjoyable.

peace,
Kurt (aka: Force)

Very nice, interesting picture. I must say there was a certain degree of charm that was lost when they stopped writing stuff in magic marker on the back/sides/insides of amps, around the time of the IV-B I guess.

I have a friend who owns a pre-production prototype Mark IV (in a Mark III combo box + with the old-style export transformer) which I'll certainly investigate for strange markings after seeing this. Maybe an RS signature inside!?!?!?

yeah really man, very well put, it's kinda fun to think about the history of things, and how it's all evolved. I love the new stuff, the express series, roadsters, lonestars, all of it, but a gem like your friend has, and even the satisfaction of finding a persons handwritten name inside a chassis, etc. is really awesome and vibey, an just plain cool in it's own right......

peace,
Kurt (aka: Force)

Just checked mine 8-92 GM it says . Thanks for the info , I was wondering how old it is. Still love it to death! I've been running it with 6V6's for over 6yrs without a problem. 8) 8) 8)

hey mrmax, that's really cool.

Say, I have never gone the 6V6 route w/ my mark IV, i know you need to run Tweed Power and Simulclass, but am curious about the R2 & Lead channel tones of the amp w/ these tubes....also is the clean channel really like an old Fender deluxe (if you know)?...i used to have a Fender DRRI w/ a Greenback in it b4 I made the switch to Boogie just about 3 years ago. I have kept my Mark IV longer than any amp I've owned.

I have thoughts of getting a second Mark IV and using the 6V6's. Could you tell me how you would compare the tone of the 6V6's to a Mk IV w/ 6L6's? What types of music do you play w/ your MkIV.

peace,
Kurt

When using 6V6's in my MK IV, I'm reminded very much of my Deluxe and my Deluxe Rverbs (I have a Deluxe Reverb II, but had 3 Deluxes at one time) . When a Deluxe or Deluxe Reverb is driven hard, the amp produces a smoothe singing whine ( a honk, I like that sound). The MK IV takes that sound and takes it into another region. Sort of a higher gain Deluxe Reverb with switchable options ala MK IV. Rhythm 1 sounds cleaner, Rhythm 2 sounds comparable to its' 6L6 counterpart , just a little sweeter. This whole issue about Rhythm 2's gain structure has never been an issue with me , I have enough boost/gain on my pedalboard that all 3 channels of my MK IV sound fine to me ( I ride the volume controls). I play Blues Based Music, Gospel, Neo Soul, Psychedelia, Blues, all types of music. Now my MK IV (with 6V6's) isn't as aggressive as my DC 10 ,but I like the sound/feel with 6V6's. The Lead channel has a really nice singing( vocal) quality to it. You should try it for yourself and see if it floats your boat. I happen to like 6V6 amps a lot and combined with a high gain preamp is like gourmet dessert to me. Check it out. 8)

sounds great! Sounds like we are into a lot of similar types of music so that helps me to realize your setup would be one I would probably like a lot. Apparently you have some boosters/gain pedals you like w/ your Mk IV? Which ones, and are they in line in front of the amp, or in the loop?

thanks again,

Kurt

I use Roger Vision Wah ,Tonefactor's HellBilly & HellBaby, TC Jauernig (not always on )DGTM( w/fat switch added), Throbak Strangemaster, Keeley Compressor, and a TC Electronic Intergrated preamp, all through the front input. 8)

Thanks , that pedalboard makes all of my amps come alive, for all types of music. Have you ever tried a Heartbreaker w/ 6V6's?

no, i haven't ever played through one. Actually, the DRRI Fender is the only 6V6 i ever owned, bu I did once play through an original Princeton that i really dug a lot.

I go for a pretty high gain lead tone, but I totally am in love w/ the pushed cleans slighty broken up, and the low to mid gain overdrives. That's why i am i love with the Mark IV, it can give you so much flexibility all with the same quality. I will have to spring for a set of 6V6's to try, and i'll probably love it!!!!

Latest posts

Back