Early IIC to IIC+ Conversion, Serial 12119

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tone Ranger

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm posting this to learn more about my Mark IIC+'s history and to give something back to the forum that's been very helpful in my research.

My amp's a Mark IIC upgrade to a Mark IIC+ with SN 12119. It's an SRG 12" combo with all additional options: an Electro Voice EVM 12S speaker, the "Boogie" logo, hardwood cab and the road case w/wheels. The tech's sign-off is dated 12/83 and the build week is given as 43. According to Mesa Boogie serial numbers, the Mark IIC production run was May 1983 to Jan 1984 with SNs 11001 to 12399 (this final SN being a Mesa Boogie best guess). So my amp's sign-off date and SN make it a Mark IIC originally, built when Randall Smith, Mike Bendinelli and Doug West were considering a mod to the IIC design.

However, the build week doesn't seem to line up with the sign-off date. If build weeks are numbered from the beginning of the calendar year, week 43 starts on Oct 29, 1983 (ref. Calendar112.com). Did the amp just hang around for a month waiting on parts before check out? Or, did Mesa use build weeks to refer to start of production? Then if weeks are numbered from May, 1983, that gives us a date of February 26, 1984 and the amp may have just hung around waiting for it's C+ mod *before* it left Mesa Boogie. So I wonder if this could have been an early prototype, a customer-requested mod prior to delivery, or a customer return for mod. Any ideas? I haven't yet called Mesa Boogie support to check on an RMA, since they don't seem to have kept RMA records prior to 1990 (ref. Mark IIC+ for Dummies). That it was upgraded to a IIC+ isn't in question since the circuit mods (and loop test) along with other marks clearly show that it was (see pics, below I hope).

Here's couple more questions.... Does anyone recognize the name written on chassis flange? It seems to read "Willcut 'C+' ". And, does anyone recognize the tech that originally signed off on the build in '83? Maybe answers to one or both of these will help answer my origin questions.

mark2c+ cab front.jpeg
mark2c+ cab rear.jpeg

mark2c+ chassis rear lhs.jpeg
mark2c+ chassis rear rhs.jpeg
mark2c+ chassis top.jpeg
tech-sig - 2.jpeg
mark2c+ chassis side.jpeg
mark2c+ road case.jpeg
mark2c+ road case open.jpeg

Attachments

• mark2c+ chassis rear rhs.jpeg
    mark2c+ chassis rear rhs.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 0
Beautiful amp you have there.

My SRG is an upgraded c+ in the early 11K serial range and has similar writing on the top of the chassis and Mike confirmed it is his handwriting and fairly sure that's Mike's initials on the back panel.

Mine has the RP11A board so it was modded while the preamp board was still around (likely during c+ production). I assume yours does too?

Willcutt
Hello all!

I'm posting this to learn more about my Mark IIC+'s history and to give something back to the forum that's been very helpful in my research.

My amp's a Mark IIC upgrade to a Mark IIC+ with SN 12119. It's an SRG 12" combo with all additional options: an Electro Voice EVM 12S speaker, the "Boogie" logo, hardwood cab and the road case w/wheels. The tech's sign-off is dated 12/83 and the build week is given as 43. According to Mesa Boogie serial numbers, the Mark IIC production run was May 1983 to Jan 1984 with SNs 11001 to 12399 (this final SN being a Mesa Boogie best guess). So my amp's sign-off date and SN make it a Mark IIC originally, built when Randall Smith, Mike Bendinelli and Doug West were considering a mod to the IIC design.

However, the build week doesn't seem to line up with the sign-off date. If build weeks are numbered from the beginning of the calendar year, week 43 starts on Oct 29, 1983 (ref. Calendar112.com). Did the amp just hang around for a month waiting on parts before check out? Or, did Mesa use build weeks to refer to start of production? Then if weeks are numbered from May, 1983, that gives us a date of February 26, 1984 and the amp may have just hung around waiting for it's C+ mod *before* it left Mesa Boogie. So I wonder if this could have been an early prototype, a customer-requested mod prior to delivery, or a customer return for mod. Any ideas? I haven't yet called Mesa Boogie support to check on an RMA, since they don't seem to have kept RMA records prior to 1990 (ref. Mark IIC+ for Dummies). That it was upgraded to a IIC+ isn't in question since the circuit mods (and loop test) along with other marks clearly show that it was (see pics, below I hope).

Here's couple more questions.... Does anyone recognize the name written on chassis flange? It seems to read "Willcut 'C+' ". And, does anyone recognize the tech that originally signed off on the build in '83? Maybe answers to one or both of these will help answer my origin questions.

View attachment 399View attachment 402
View attachment 403View attachment 405View attachment 406View attachment 407View attachment 408View attachment 409View attachment 410
Willcut is probably the store it was sold to. They are in KY.

Back