Mutilated mkIIA?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10300

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A while ago I obtained this outwardly pristine-looking mkIIA. It's a 10/10/1979 built.

Its previous owner said it'd been "upgraded" by a local (Netherlands) amp doctor to mkIIB specs.

However.. I've opened it up, sent gut pics to Boogie to ask them what they think on first glance,
and they adviced me to take out the trannies, hunt for a II on ebay and replace the trannies, taking the loss.

The problem is as follows:

This amp doctor person has installed a tube-buffered fx loop, plus he's added an "extra" footswitch jack to the back of the chassis, which i.m.o. is entirely unnecessary.

Also, there is considerable hum when switching the amp on and dialing in its master volume, too much to my ears.
When deplying the graphic EQ, hum increases as sliders move towards their extremes. More hum comes in when I dial in reverb and presence from the back. And then, there's the imfamous "pop" when switching between channels.

Argh! On low volumes this amp sounds amazing. Yet the louder I tweak it, the worse it gets.

I'd like to get rid of the fx-loop and anything that's not native to this circuit.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Latest posts

Back