Mk V tone.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy--- the GEQ plays a major role in those amps. :D

Good to see you got things going on track.

~Nep~

Done a few gigs now with my new CS356 and the MK V.
The guitar does not seem to drive the MK V, the clean sound is just flat & lifeless. The chan 2 is also very weak & thin, when in crunch it also sounds like I have a compressor on full (I don't). Chan 3 well - it's just not worth using as it is (like chan 2) thin, shrill fizzy mess.
Plugged my 356 into another amp (cheap one) sounded fantastic.
I use mainly my strat with the boogie and find that I have to use pedals - such as the Xotic AC (I did try to get the Xotic AC sound out of the amp but could not get anywhere near it's warm fat tone.
I'm really struggling with my MK V at the moment as I am trying to justify the price I paid (£3500, it's the exotic wood etc)!
If anyone can help please please please do, because at the momen I feel like iv just bought £3500 worth of ****... Worst guitar sound iv ever had :-(

andyp13 said:
Thanks for all the feedback (no phun) guys.... Much appreciated.
Had another play today and took out the geq except for the preset on chan 1. I should now be able to use the geq to help shape the sound etc....

It seems like back in January things were going pretty good for ya. What happened?

Don't really know, I just didn't seem to be getting there with it, got a decent sound one night but needed more volume... I adjusted the chan master as the clean chan vol was fine, and I lost the sound.... Couldn't get it back ended up thin and cheap sound, just can't get that Carltonish sound I'm looking for etc..... Just the same ol' shrill compressed thin sound with added flabby bass if I use the bass control.
I have my clean chan with the GEQ on a V - mid on the middle line and bass and treble sides up from that.... If I take it out so I can use it on the other chans then the clean sound suffers. :(
I really want to use my CS 356 but it just don't seem to sound good with the MK V
The strat with EMG's sounds good (if I use the Xotic AC pedal for the overdrive in clean chan).

andyp13 said:
Don't really know, I just didn't seem to be getting there with it, got a decent sound one night but needed more volume... I adjusted the chan master as the clean chan vol was fine, and I lost the sound.... Couldn't get it back ended up thin and cheap sound, just can't get that Carltonish sound I'm looking for etc..... Just the same ol' shrill compressed thin sound with added flabby bass if I use the bass control.
I have my clean chan with the GEQ on a V - mid on the middle line and bass and treble sides up from that.... If I take it out so I can use it on the other chans then the clean sound suffers. :(
I really want to use my CS 356 but it just don't seem to sound good with the MK V
The strat with EMG's sounds good (if I use the Xotic AC pedal for the overdrive in clean chan).

I play a Comanche, it has what G&L calls Zcoils. There a single coil but they're hot. I don't Like a lot of bass either. In fact my eq on the clean side is a frown shape. I know this goes against the grain but I really like the clean on this amp and that works for me and my guitar.

You may want to try it.

andyp13 said:

Have you experimented with the Preset EQ controls? I use Preset on CH1 and the five band on CH3.

I have the same pickups in my les paul as you and can tell you there is no problem at all with the pickups and the amp.

what are your exact settings?

phyrexia said:
andyp13 said:

Have you experimented with the Preset EQ controls? I use Preset on CH1 and the five band on CH3.

I have the same pickups in my les paul as you and can tell you there is no problem at all with the pickups and the amp.

what are your exact settings?

One of you guys should post your settings in the form of a picture.

I am sure you have already done this, but I would make sure I eliminated my effects from the chain and start from scratch...really focus one just one channel and forget about the others until you nail it/dont forget the tube vs diode option in chan 1 and 2(45 watts/tube might help)

Back