mesa transatlantic!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
parvulesco said:
The Celestions that Mesa uses—both the MC90 and Mesa's version of the Vintage 30—are still made in the UK.

I am not sure how to confirm that but, if the UK version of the Vintage 30 was 70 watts, as the cabinets that
held 4 used to be 280 watts, why are the 4X12s now 260 watts w/vintage 30s, and the vintage 30s now made in
china are 60 watts ?
I am always glad to get the facts. Yet I am not sure why mesa would still be getting the "same made in UK" vesion
and coincidentaly they also get the specs of the chinese version. Why would they change the specs of both?
I am not arguing I am trying to find out where the information comes from, I cannot find any info from mesa stating that.
I might just be missing their information.
/cheers

plumptone said:
Hmm... I'm feeling more optimistic about this little lunchbox after watching and listening. A post at TGP suggested that the 'Hi 2' mode had a recto feel... immediate turn-off. However, in this vid, 'Hi 2' had way more of a Mark I feel. I'm likin' it! :mrgreen:

Maybe it was the video quality but nothing about it except for the looks makes me really wanna go run out and get one! I bet it sounds a lot better in person.

primal said:
Rezamatix said:
Played one at the namm show in anaheim today, sounds awesome.

Where you able to see if there was a loop?

I'm thinking there isn't because I never see it mentioned.

No loop that I saw, but it sounded like an AC-15 on steroids, seriously chimey with a deep driving grind...but it was also at namm with ALOT of other sounds going on, and they have a sonic limtation at namm, you can only turn up so loud. I hung out and heard some really tasty licks from the mesa guys too...it's completely different than a mark amp, and it's not like a rectifier either. It really sounded alot more like the ac-15 and that's what the Mesa rep said was what it was more targeted towards, they said to expect them in the spring...

Maybe it was the video quality but nothing about it except for the looks makes me really wanna go run out and get one! I bet it sounds a lot better in person.

I remember thinking the same thing of the Electra Dyne from last years NAMM- turns out it is the greatest amp I have ever owned....I know I wont be as quick to judge anymore....I bet it is a killer little amp

LerxstLee said:
parvulesco said:
The Celestions that Mesa uses—both the MC90 and Mesa's version of the Vintage 30—are still made in the UK.

I am not sure how to confirm that but, if the UK version of the Vintage 30 was 70 watts, as the cabinets that
held 4 used to be 280 watts, why are the 4X12s now 260 watts w/vintage 30s, and the vintage 30s now made in
china are 60 watts ?
I am always glad to get the facts. Yet I am not sure why mesa would still be getting the "same made in UK" vesion
and coincidentaly they also get the specs of the chinese version. Why would they change the specs of both?
I am not arguing I am trying to find out where the information comes from, I cannot find any info from mesa stating that.
/cheers
I too would like to know if the Mesa celestions are made in the UK or China . Where are the facts ?

Barry said:
LerxstLee said:
parvulesco said:

china are 60 watts ?
/cheers
I too would like to know if the Mesa celestions are made in the UK or China . Where are the facts ?

I made a miscalculation 60 watts X 4 = 240 watts. Well 4/12 cabs were 280 now 240. Something makes little sense
that mesa has special UK china spec'd speakers but I am all ears. I thought the M.I.china sounded different but only
because they were new speakers and I was comparing them to older V30s. Well, I no longer believe that was, or is the case, if they are the same speakers being put together somewhere else, why are the specs different?
Just show me. Mesa conspiracy experts say mesa has UK V30s, not made in china. It would be nice to know.

I dig the video and hope to score one of these they are pretty sweet.

I appreciate your insight. Yet where does this information come from. Why can't you purchase
a V30 that is not made in china. Yet some claim mesa gets v30s made in UK. IF so that is great
to hear. I have to wonder if it is the same speaker, why have them made in china, yet make some
in UK for mesa. Understandable if MEsa wanted to stay with the UK version. Yet the specs were changed.
Why would celestion make that speaker for mesa with the chinese specs. Or is it made in china.
I cannot find any proof other than Mesa fans, like myself, yet I am not convinced.
Regardless, items are being made in China, good or bad, that is not the point.
Where is the information, and why would the specs NOT be the same as the UK V30?
Nothing personal. I can't see the logic.
/cheers

Sorry to jack this thread on the speaker , but I had asked earlier about the transamp, where that was made,
I am told the usa. So I would think someone saw the back and saw Made in USA, Pet/cali.

A little information on Celestion, they now have all there normal speakers (aka CLassic) made in china, however the heritage series, alinco series are still made in the UK. This goes for every amp companies cabs I have seen except mesa, they wanted UK speakers and as of now they are still being shipped with them, well up to a year ago, havent seen any new cabs since then.

Two years ago I had a a bogner uber cabinet, and sure enough it had the chinese speakers in it, I havent opened up a Orange cab so I am not sure about there speakers and I know Marshall uses the chinese ones except in there top of the line cabinets. I was really shocked by Bogner, considering how much there cabs go for that they decided to use chinese speakers.

As to the mesa 280 watt vs 260 watt debate. It was said that mesa has always had there V30's made a little different, more relaxed mid, lower bottem end and where rated at 280 watts, mesa use to claim this during there hay day. But then when people started switching to using other cabs mesa reversed themselves and said that all along it was a misprint on the cabinets and they are indead 260 normal celestions. However the guy at avatar speakers use to sell speakers that he claims where the same V30's that a big amp company uses that have lower bottem end. Anyway the debate goes on and no one will ever know for sure, except the people at mesa.

LerxstLee to answer your response, I also know a person that did a side by side between a new old stock V30 UK made and a chinese V30, he said when they were new and broken in they sounded so **** close that it didnt matter that much. However, from what I understand the difference between China V30 and UK V30 has to do with the glue used and how long and how they dry it. So in the long run the china V30 might not last as long or sound as good as long.

I personaly i hate buying anything from China and try to stay away from them, not because I hate chinese people, but because I cant stand their goverment and until they give better human rights over there I try to boycott anything from there.

I personally dont want to lend a hand in improving the Chinese economy and I want UK made celestions in my cabs. They are an English made product for god sakes . On a personal note , one of my parents is from the UK and i have lots of family there . They have taken a big hit on their economy just as us and I would prefer to help their economy rather the China .

A year or so ago a forum member that was a Celestion rep discussed the UK vs. China built speakers and also said the the Mesa speakers were still made in the UK. That was awhile ago so things may have changed. He also stated that Celestion was bought out by a Chinese company and claimed that the Chinese factory was more high tech than the one in the UK. I myself would still prefer a UK product. The GH12 30W 70th Anniversary SE speakers in my cab do say Ipswich, England on them, but who really knows?

Back on topic...this amp does interest me but I am still not sure i want to give up on my Subway Blues yet. Adding a pentode/triode switch to the SB may get me where I want to go.

Laskyman said:

I remember thinking the same thing of the Electra Dyne from last years NAMM- turns out it is the greatest amp I have ever owned....I know I wont be as quick to judge anymore....I bet it is a killer little amp

Very true. The NAMM demo of the ED sucked. It wasn't till I saw the demo Marcus did that I started paying attention to it.

LerxstLee said:
I appreciate your insight. Yet where does this information come from. Why can't you purchase
a V30 that is not made in china. Yet some claim mesa gets v30s made in UK. IF so that is great
to hear. I have to wonder if it is the same speaker, why have them made in china, yet make some
in UK for mesa. Understandable if MEsa wanted to stay with the UK version. Yet the specs were changed.
Why would celestion make that speaker for mesa with the chinese specs. Or is it made in china.
I cannot find any proof other than Mesa fans, like myself, yet I am not convinced.
Regardless, items are being made in China, good or bad, that is not the point.
Where is the information, and why would the specs NOT be the same as the UK V30?
Nothing personal. I can't see the logic.
/cheers

Sorry to jack this thread on the speaker , but I had asked earlier about the transamp, where that was made,
I am told the usa. So I would think someone saw the back and saw Made in USA, Pet/cali.

Call Celestion and ask them. They'll tell you exactly what everybody else is. I know some of their speakers are still made exclusively over there. They're basically like an OEM for Mesa Boogie that produces all of Mesa's Celestion speakers in the UK. They probably changed something small in the design of the V30 that added the ten extra watts, and are simply using this design everywhere. It is not "Chinese specs", it is the new "V30 specs", regardless of where it was made.

Latest posts

Back