Mesa Lonestar classic Verses LSS Verses Mesa Maverick

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fendertillnow

Reaction score
I currently have a classic 30 from Peavey. It is a nice amp but The clean sound is alittle muddy or flat compared to my Fender Hot rod. I notice it uses the El84 tubes Like the LSS does. Are the cleans comparable. And what of the LSC or Maverick.

Of these 3 Mesa's for home play what would you pick. I should also mention I have a Line6 PODXT so Effects are not a big issue. Crystal Clear clean is,

i put jj's in my peavey as well as a celestion v30. it transformed it. it sparkled. was beefier, tighter, more focussed and much livelier. until i heard a lsc. now, i'm waiting till i can be bothered to sell the classic 30, along with the marshalls.

to be honest i never tried the special until afterwards. and i now feel i wouldn't have changed my choice. the classic is a more versatile amp, with much greater headroom. it has a tonal spectrum which reaches from beautiful cleans to very rich overdriven sustain. i don't think the special matches that. and the classic sounds superb in my house at volumes that don't upset my neighbour's neurotic dog.

I had the LSS 1x12. Didn't get the clean tones at louder volumes I hoped for. Took it back to GC and ended up with the LSC 2x12. The LSC does everything killer. Today at GC, I tried a used Maverick, 22 caliber and a F30. Not looking to buy, just curiosity. None of them are in the same league as the Lonestar models.

I see you have the 2X12. I called Mesa and they recomended the 1X12 . Just told me most of the guys prefer that..What color do u have it in..

I live in Michigan..The guitars center here doesn't carry mesa. The store you went to have any Lonestar classics left in stock?

I thought I was speaking with just one person but anyone knowing a dealer that stocks the things would be greatly apprciated

Fendertillnow said:
I currently have a classic 30 from Peavey. It is a nice amp but The clean sound is alittle muddy or flat compared to my Fender Hot rod. I notice it uses the El84 tubes Like the LSS does. Are the cleans comparable. And what of the LSC or Maverick.

I have the LSC and a Fender Hot Rod De Ville. I used to think that the clean channel on my De Ville sounded great until I got my LSC. The LSC sounds so beautifull that I don't even want to look at De Ville anymore. The De Ville sounds really sterile when comparing the clean channel to the clean channel on the LSC. The LSC is so much warmer and chimey than the Hot Rod. And of course, the LSC's dirty channel completely blows away the dirty channel of the Hot Rod.

CodeTitan said:
I have the LSC and a Fender Hot Rod De Ville. I used to think that the clean channel on my De Ville sounded great until I got my LSC. The LSC sounds so beautifull that I don't even want to look at De Ville anymore. The De Ville sounds really sterile when comparing the clean channel to the clean channel on the LSC. The LSC is so much warmer and chimey than the Hot Rod. And of course, the LSC's dirty channel completely blows away the dirty channel of the Hot Rod.

Right on CT!

Dude, 1x12 or 2x12 is all about choice and weight. The tone is very similar but the 2x12 does more more air if that is what you like, want and need! My, I have 2 1x12 cabs so I bought mine knowing if I needed to move more air, bring an extra cab.

I cannot stress this enough, read the manual and learn how the tonestack is different. It was hard for me until recently to get a Fender-like clean.

My LSC 2x12 is blue tolex with silver grill.cloth. I have been poking around with different amps for a year trying to find the amp that will do what I want. The LSC takes it hands down for amps under $2,000. I demoed 15-20amps on this search and decided the DRRI and The TRRI were want I wanted. The LSC is a DRRI/TRRI in one cab. I tried a Matchless Cheiftain 4x10 today at GC just for the heck of it. Beautiful clean tones but I was not impressed with gain/cut. Short test drives are not fair, YMMV, but I plugged into a LSC 1x12 sitting next to the Matchless. I liked the LSC alot more and the Matchless price tag was $3200 plus tax.

edited to add. Mesa says guys prefer the 1x12. I can see why. At home volumes, there is plenty of power. Also, the 1x weighs 60 lbs. and the 2x is even more. that's alot to hump around. I play outdoors often and micing isn't usually an option, so loud is good.

The LSC has incredible clean tones. But for home use, I think it is overkill. There has got to be a less expensive solution for what you want ,specially using the PODxt. Maybe get a couple of great monitor speakers and a goodsound card for your PC and play through the computer.

I have a fairly large room to play in 21 X18 with 10 foot cieling. Home playing was why I wanted or thought I wanted a LSS. I am strongly considering an LSC and using a HOT PLATE. But I have to find a place than sells them in stock. If anyone knows of a store that actually has them please yell at me.

Do you have a Guitar Center near you? If you do, order one and take advantage of the 30 day return policy.

I played a LSC 1x12 at GC Rt 18 East Brunswick, NJ just yesterday. I think it would be plenty loud in you studio. If you get a 1x12 combo you can always add another cab down the road.

I went into GC last July intending to buy a LSC - after doing a side by side test with the LSC and the LSS, I walked out with the LSS. To my ears, the Classic sounded noticibly more muddy than the Special and the Special has a chime to it's clean channel that I couldn't find with the Classic.

I went with the 1x12 combo and special ordered a 1x12 ext cab (check my sig for a pic). People keep talking about a lack of clean headroom with the LSS but I just don't see it and that may be due to the extra speaker. If all of a sudden the Allman Brothers call me up to join, I'll ask them to mike the amp :)

Also, I run the POD XTL as my effects unit with no modeling used over the LSS. You'll find that the Fuzz PI, Rat, and Killer Z distortion stomps work amazingly with the channel 2 drive.

SabusJSE,

Are you using the LSS in a live situation? My side by side comparison of the LSS and LSC definitely showed the LSS not being able to stay pristinely clean at higher volumes. Of course this is all very subjective. They are still both great amps.

I'd really like to discuss your use of the PODxt Live in front of the Lonestar. My XTL is coming in on Wednesday and I was really planning on using it only for home recording....but you may have a good idea there!

Dennis

Guitar55, I use an XT Live with my LSC and get great results.

Here is my best suggested plan based on a lot of work:
1. Get the amp sounding perfect before adding the XTL to the chain
2. Remember, as best you can, how loud the volume sounded
3. Plug the XTL into the chain and use the volume on the XTL to match the volume you were getting before

This was key to getting it all to sound groovy based on my experience.

Back