Mesa Lonestar classic Verses LSS Verses Mesa Maverick

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guitar55 said:
Are both of you running the POD in the effects loop with no amp modeling?

Have you tried it in front of the amp?

I run mine without modelling in front and just use the clean channel to keep my floor space to a minimum.

I've run it into the FX loop. It sounds just fine there but I've been playing with these for a while now and firmly believe that the POD needs at least 1 preamp tube in the chain to sound proper.

I use my XTL in the Effects Loop with ZERO modeling. To use modeling over a Mesa would be a sin, imo :) But those distortion stomps work very nicely with it. I tried it in front and found it to color the tone a bit more than in the effects loop.

I have used it with a drummer, bass player, and 2 other guitarists and it held it's own quite nicely - but again, I do have the ext cab as well so I get bit more projection than the normal 1x12. Have I played with it in a sports arena? No :)

Ive encountered the same problem with the LSS..The clean doesnt stay clean at higher volumes...Ive been playing the LSS at lower volumes and using the slave out to a fender tonemaster with a 4x12 cab,,,sounds great, but thats a lotta gear to haul around

The Special (IMO)has better cleans than the Classic (I've owned both at the same time). Way chimier and sparklier, but it doesn't get loud enough clean to compete with a pounding drummer. You could fix that with the slave out and a power amp and extra cab, though.

Also, the drive of the Special ain't as good as the Classic, but the Special takes pedals extremely well.

Both are excellent amps, but if I could have a do-over I would go with a head and cab to eliminate rattles.

How is it a sin to add new tonal possibilities? :?

Was it a sin when Jimi used pedals with his plexis?

I love my pedals! :D

OK didn't mean to get under anybody's pickguard. I haven't been big on pedals since I started playing in 65. I had the fuzzface, bosstone and wahwah back then and recently I have only used a TS9. I have really been into the amp's natural breakup. DRRI's and TRRI's with a TS9 that's about it.

Now with the LSC, the tones I want are in the amp. YMMV and that's fine with me. I get the sound I want with the LSC on low power, 50 watts and breaking up on its own. I'll switch to the drive channel when necessary. The added gain and volume are perfect and there when I need them.

Since I had a few years with solid state modeling amp thing, getting back to the LSC and tube tone has been a revelation. There is no comparison between today's best modelers and a decent tube amp, let alone a Lonestar Classic or Special. And now I got a Tom Anderson classic with 8 of 12 pickup positions hitting the sweet spot for me. Please use your pedals, I going guitar, amp and hope my fingers don't fail me. Peace

Fendertillnow said:
I have a fairly large room to play in 21 X18 with 10 foot cieling. Home playing was why I wanted or thought I wanted a LSS. I am strongly considering an LSC and using a HOT PLATE. But I have to find a place than sells them in stock. If anyone knows of a store that actually has them please yell at me.

I'm not sure what part of MI you're in, but if you're near the east portion you can make the hop over to Cleveland. There are several to choose from in this area. :D

Back