Mesa Cab.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scary Guy IRL

Reaction score
Hey i'm plannin' on buyin' a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifer, but i'm not sure which cab to get, I was planning on getting a 2x12 but i've been hearing alot of bad reviews, sadly no where here stocks Mesa, apart from one place, but i dunno if they'll have anything good. The cab i played the Single Rectifier through was a 4x12 Traditional, if i get a single rectifer, should i get the 4x12 that it sounded good through? or get a 2x12 and try it. The 4x12 wouldn't be overly practical for me, as i wouldn't really be giging, well yet anyways. What would be the diff in the 4x12 and the 2x12?

BTW. I live in ireland.

Thanx

I'm not sure if they are, I played a Genz-Benz El Diablo 100 on my holidays with a 4x12 G-Flex, it was badass. But the Single Recto i tried had alot more "Whammmy" (qoute from anchorman) with a 4x12 Trad.

the 4x12 is a lot louder and has a lot more low end going on generaly speaking. More phase cancelation too though.

I agree w/ the Genz Benz recomendation.

If you can find one, VHT fat bottom cabs are AMAZING. But they are even kinda hard to find here in the USA.

Theres no reason you have to run a Mesa cab w/ a Mesa amp.
I personaly dont like Mesa cabs AT ALL. I run a Marshall cab w/ my Mesas.

Im noticing more and more bands running Mesa amps, but not Mesa cabs. Black Dhalia Murder, Coheed and Cambria, Unearth (when they do run Mesas) etc etc, so I know Im not alone in this.

Scary Guy IRL said:
Hey i'm plannin' on buyin' a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifer, but i'm not sure which cab to get, I was planning on getting a 2x12 but i've been hearing alot of bad reviews, sadly no where here stocks Mesa, apart from one place, but i dunno if they'll have anything good. The cab i played the Single Rectifier through was a 4x12 Traditional, if i get a single rectifer, should i get the 4x12 that it sounded good through? or get a 2x12 and try it. The 4x12 wouldn't be overly practical for me, as i wouldn't really be giging, well yet anyways. What would be the diff in the 4x12 and the 2x12?

BTW. I live in ireland.

Thanx

Hi Scary Guy, I would start with a 2x12, theres nothing you cant do with a single rec and a 2x12. You can later add another 2x12 or even a 4x12 and stack them.

Really you need to give us more info on what it is your doing with the rig, and what kind of music/sound your striving for, that is really what dictates the type of gear you need.

Cheers,
David.

I realize this is an old topic, but I just joined and wanted to share my thoughts.

I currently own both cabinets.

I've run both cabinets with two different heads (Stiletto and Mark IV), and I have to say that I am WAY bummed about the sound of the 2x12.

Its bright and treble-y and I cant seem to dial it out.

The 4x12, while larger and harder to move, gives a fuller sound (yes, probably because of the extra speakers), but its a different tone as well.

Heavy as the 4x is, its all I use.

no soul said:
Theres no reason you have to run a Mesa cab w/ a Mesa amp.
I personaly dont like Mesa cabs AT ALL. I run a Marshall cab w/ my Mesas.

No Soul, is there that much of a difference btw the marshall 1960 and the recto cabs? I've got a recto cab, but never tried the 60's cab. I figured it was mostly a cost thing.

Latest posts

Back