Mesa Boogie S.O.B.-Right for Me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman 420

Reaction score
There is currently a Mesa Boogie 60 watt short chassis head going for around $450 near me. Good deal?

I play mostly blues and blues-rock, delving into some early thrash every now and then, though the metal isn't important to me, do you think I should get the S.O.B.? I might have to sell my Peavey Classic 50 to finance this, worth it?

yes it is worth it...if you get the bias pot mod done...it makes it even better...mine sound's killer ... sounds like a mark 1 and iic+ mixed together..

Musical123 said:
Where can I find the Bias Mod?
Simply a matter of changing the resistor in the bias supply circuit that sets the bias voltage with an adjustable pot.Forget the value in the SOB,but in the last MKIV I did it was about 68k,I use a pot whose value is about twice the value of the resistor I am changing,so for the 68k I sub a 100k pot.I find the multi-turn cermet pots work best.

Musical123 said:
Where can I find the Bias Mod?

I gut the Boogie dual cap config and I use a straight up Fender bias supply. I use a 10K pot in series after the diode and cap. One outside lug of the pot has a 27k resistor to ground, the other outside lug has the neg bias voltage from the diode, the wiper feeds to the 220k split....

bias supply from transformer>470 Ohm step down>diode w/cap to ground>10k pot, etc...

Stable, quiet, gives you the range you need for 6L6GC's.

Latest posts

Back