Mesa Boogie Lonestar No Longer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoTheDo

Reaction score
Well folks, looks like I'll be handing in my Mesa Boogie membership card. I decided to bring my Lonestar Classic 1x12 back to the store in exchange for a Fender Twin Reverb 40th anniversary LTD.

I just wasn't getting the tone I was looking for at band rehearsal or on stage. I already had a Fender Twin and was looking around for a second amp to use as my main amp since my Twin was turning out to be less than unreliable at gigs. Anyway, my experience with LSC lasted less than a month. I just couldn't get the sound I was looking for. It sounded great in the store but not so great at band rehearsal. Don't get me wrong...the LS is a great amp with tons of bells and whistles but I guess I'm a tried and true Fender guy. Simplicity and tone is what I really needed. To me nothing beats Fender's bell like clean and warm reverb. I'll keep on using a TS9 for overdrive when I need it.

Adios!

DoTheDo said:
I already had a Fender Twin and was looking around for a second amp to use as my main amp since my Twin was turning out to be less than unreliable at gigs.
Makes a lot of sense to me. The first Twin is too unreliable, so buy another one. :roll:

t0aj15 said:
DoTheDo said:
I already had a Fender Twin and was looking around for a second amp to use as my main amp since my Twin was turning out to be less than unreliable at gigs.
Makes a lot of sense to me. The first Twin is too unreliable, so buy another one. :roll:

Hahaha! My first twin was bought used and its been working well, except a few repairs last month. But I wouldn't gig without backup. This is why I decided to shop around for a second (more reliable amp) hence my LSC purchase.

Twins a good amp. I've got one. Put a Hotcake in front of it and it'll have most Marshall half stacks running for the hills. Considering your willing to pack two Twins I'd guess it was'nt that the LS weighed to much.

Bet if you change tube manufacturers you won't void the Fender warranty!

Even though you aren't a mesa guy now, I'd still be interested in your sonic review of the twin. Is it the reissue (the tweed one that is lower wattage) or the new manufacture Twin.

I once owned an Evil Twin (the one with the red knobs). It sucked.

Hey Do The Do... I will see you over on the Fender Forum, I guess...

I am actually a recent convert to Mesa's.... I have been a diehard Fender guy for a long time. I made the switch because I was tired of needing a pedal board to do any Rock covers.

I still have my Super Reverb and will likely keep it around. It does have the best clean in the world (same circuit as a Twin, only half the wattage).

I tried a LSC at first, liked it a lot, but it quit working the third day I had it. I took it back and swapped it for a MK IV (+ some cash, of course).

I have been able to find that deep, thick, creamy quacky clean on channel 1, dial channel 2 in to sound like a cranked SR or DR breaking up, and channel 3 is tight, thick, creamy Boogie drive all the way. No pedals, great amp, with footswitch that selects channels, FX loop, and turns the EQ on or off (I use that for a solo boost).

The clean is NOT a Fender Clean, but is so **** close, only die hard Fender folks can tell.

I have to admit, I just picked up a lilttle used Fender also, besides my Mesa, although it's mainly for a second amp to plink around with. I just couldn't pass up the price and the vintage look and sound, and it's great for home practice and doodling. I have to keep sonic peace in the house. She just doesn't understand! :wink:

Good luck with your Twin. It's a great clean amp.

AMG1 said:
Twins a good amp. I've got one. Put a Hotcake in front of it and it'll have most Marshall half stacks running for the hills. Considering your willing to pack two Twins I'd guess it was'nt that the LS weighed to much.

The 65 Twin Reverb 40th Ltd weighs a ton and has no casters. Ouch, I'm starting to get back pains just thinking about it.

DoTheDo said:
AMG1 said:

The 65 Twin Reverb 40th Ltd weighs a ton and has no casters. Ouch, I'm starting to get back pains just thinking about it.

Why do the best amps always weigh so much? You'll save a bundle on a spa membership owning that one.

AMG1 said:
Why do the best amps always weigh so much?
Hey you could always go with a SS modeling amp, like the limp wristed crowd. :wink: :p :roll:

t0aj15 said:
AMG1 said:
Why do the best amps always weigh so much?
Hey you could always go with a SS modeling amp, like the limp wristed crowd. :wink: :p :roll:

Cant believe I'm reading such words on the Boogie Board. :shock:

If its got glass its got class! 8)

It's hard to blame you on the twin thing. Fender has "the sound". I almost pulled the trigger on one, but I feel like the overall quality of the Lone Star is much better, and Mesa is still sort of the "local guy" to me. I want to support that. Mesa's customer support WAY outshines Fender's; there's no comparison. Plus the LS does get great cleans, but again they're not exactly fender cleans. It would be cool to have both some day because they are both unique in their own rights.

To tell you the truth I consider my Lonestar to be a virtual Fender playground. What exactly is'nt Fender enough for some of you. Not Flameing just wondering because the Lonestar makes me so happy.

AMG1,
Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also have a Loanstar. As was written in one of the reviews of the Loanstar "it does the Fender sound....................only better." And as you, this is not to "flame" but I think the Loanstar is also a more diversified amp. I can't remember reading about anyone (on this or other boards, and I may be wrong) who traded in a Mesa for a Fender. But, there's a first time for everything. Is there something different about the 40th anniversary model? I run an LP, Strat & Taylor through my LSC each with their own great sound. Couldn't ask for more. But then again,
"Tone is in the ear of the beholder."

I still say ................. ENJOY!

Hey old guy,

Its not only the Fender sounds the Lonestar gets but the" Fantasy Fender "sounds.

Sounds like if only my Twin could get more growl. Maybe you like your Deluxe but wish it was a lot louder. The Lonestar can make a Super Reverb truely super. All this and than you can turn on the drive.

I was also wondering if the 40th anniversary was different some how.

old-guy said:
.... I think the Loanstar is also a more diversified amp.

You THINK???? Let's see the Twin has two options: turn it up or turn it down. The LSC has two channels,which can be independently set for 100 or 50 watts. each with a boost and channel two has the option of an exra gain stage. Not to mention the choice of two reverbs with individual controls for each channel. Yeah, I'd say it was a bit more versatile. Like a Twin on steroids! :)

I'm probably in the minority, but I've never owned a Fender amp that I liked. In fact, I'm gonna trade in a reissue bassman I've had lying around for the last 5 years or so, simply because I never choose to play thru it.
It's probably the ideal amp for an OBG (old blues guy), but an OBG I am not. I grew up on Van Halen, Led Zepplin, Rush, REM and U2. And none of those sounds which sound like home to me, say fender. I've owned probably every amp out there at one time or another, and consistently, when I've had the fender amps, they sound like Stevie Ray to me, which is far from my own sound.

Bob

zekmoe said:
I'm probably in the minority, but I've never owned a Fender amp that I liked. In fact, I'm gonna trade in a reissue bassman I've had lying around for the last 5 years or so, simply because I never choose to play thru it.
It's probably the ideal amp for an OBG (old blues guy), but an OBG I am not. I grew up on Van Halen, Led Zepplin, Rush, REM and U2. And none of those sounds which sound like home to me, say fender. I've owned probably every amp out there at one time or another, and consistently, when I've had the fender amps, they sound like Stevie Ray to me, which is far from my own sound.

Bob

Great post!

It cracks me up when guys try amps like a Bassman because they heard it so hot. Only to plug into one and think "What the F". Same thing with old Marshalls. They dont have near the gain some people think they do.
One point though. Vintage and vintage type Fenders take pedals really well. So some guys go beyond the classic Fender sound by using the right pedals . You can build a pretty awsome sound that way. Of course with the various Mesa amps I own my pedals tend to collect dust.

AMG1 said:
zekmoe said:

Bob

Great post!

It cracks me up when guys try amps like a Bassman because they heard it so hot. Only to plug into one and think "What the F". Same thing with old Marshalls. They dont have near the gain some people think they do.
One point though. Vintage and vintage type Fenders take pedals really well. So some guys go beyond the classic Fender sound by using the right pedals . You can build a pretty awsome sound that way. Of course with the various Mesa amps I own my pedals tend to collect dust.

LOL. I did something like that. I traded in a SF Fender Bassman 50 (w 2x15 cab) so I could afford a Mesa F-30.

Bassmans are great amps, I was using a Vtwin preamp pedal with it and really liked the tones. However, I wanted something smaller, more apartment friendly, but just as versitile as the Bassman/Vtwin rig.

Now I have the F-30 and my pedals are collecting dust. :)

Latest posts

Back