Mesa Boogie Lonestar No Longer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AMG1 said:
Twins a good amp. I've got one. Put a Hotcake in front of it and it'll have most Marshall half stacks running for the hills. Considering your willing to pack two Twins I'd guess it was'nt that the LS weighed to much.

What's a Hotcake?

In as many months I have owned 3 Twins. They are not reliable and they are noisy to a point where you cannot record with them.

My frist had a chasis rattle that couldn't be isolated and the next 2 were noisy above and beyond a hum or whist that some amps make. So they ordered another one for me and that one did too so I never took possession of it!

So, In a season, I personally witnessed 4 bad Twins and Fender was of no help.

Carefully consider this decision.

CudBucket said:
AMG1 said:
Twins a good amp. I've got one. Put a Hotcake in front of it and it'll have most Marshall half stacks running for the hills. Considering your willing to pack two Twins I'd guess it was'nt that the LS weighed to much.

What's a Hotcake?

A Hot Cake is an overdrive pedal made by a small effects builder in New Zealand (pretty sure about the country.). While its low gain type sounds are'nt my favorite its high gain sounds are stellar. If you put this in front of a Twin or similar amp it creates a massive wall of sound. Its dirt sounds very tube like and complex. You can get them at Music Toyz but sometimes have to wait because the guy can only make them so fast and then all the shipping. If you like intense Marshall like sounds this may be for you.

My friend a few years fork the money for a '64 (or was it '65) Pre-CBS Twin with D120F JBLs. Now I know why these amps is the cornerstone of "Rock n Roll" so I understand your fondiness for a Fender Twin

... But DoTheDo, did you ever thought about getting Weber P12 speaker(s)? I think the LSC came with C90 (I could be mistaken) but getting some Jensen charateristic sounding speakers such as Weber's P12 may make a great difference getting closer to Fender Twin I would think.

Just changing speakers can make a world a difference.

Well Guys,
I saw the new Fender Twin 40th Anniversary model on Musician's Friend web site. Oh yah, it's "real special" it comes in "blonde" and has a "special badge" that says "40th Anniversary". Other than that it's the same old same old.
DoTheDo, you gotta be kidding all of us, right? This isn't any "vintage" Fender we're talk'n about here. I'm not "picking" but I can't see this thing sounding better than the LSC in any department. Are you "really" gonna do this?
I think you're gonna be "Do'n the DooDoo" if you change amps. (sorry, I couldn't resist) If this is what you want .................. well I guess non of us are gonna change your mind. Good Luck!

RR said:
My friend a few years fork the money for a '64 (or was it '65) Pre-CBS Twin with D120F JBLs. Now I know why these amps is the cornerstone of "Rock n Roll" so I understand your fondiness for a Fender Twin

... But DoTheDo, did you ever thought about getting Weber P12 speaker(s)? I think the LSC came with C90 (I could be mistaken) but getting some Jensen charateristic sounding speakers such as Weber's P12 may make a great difference getting closer to Fender Twin I would think.

Just changing speakers can make a world a difference.

I couldn't justify spending all that cash on a Lone Star then spending more cash to swap out the speaker. I think the reason I'm not getting the sound I like is the fact that my LSC is a 1x12. The TRRI is (of course) a 2x12. I wasn't able to get a LSC 2x12 at the store where I bought my LSC. THey could order one for me but I'd be looking at a 3 - 4 month waiting period.

old-guy said:
Well Guys,
I saw the new Fender Twin 40th Anniversary model on Musician's Friend web site. Oh yah, it's "real special" it comes in "blonde" and has a "special badge" that says "40th Anniversary". Other than that it's the same old same old.
DoTheDo, you gotta be kidding all of us, right? This isn't any "vintage" Fender we're talk'n about here. I'm not "picking" but I can't see this thing sounding better than the LSC in any department. Are you "really" gonna do this?
I think you're gonna be "Do'n the DooDoo" if you change amps. (sorry, I couldn't resist) If this is what you want .................. well I guess non of us are gonna change your mind. Good Luck!

Don't ge me wrong...the Lone Star is a fantastic amp with tons of cool features (many that I never ended up using). But it just wasn't for me. I gigged with it and wasn't happy with the bottom end I was getting on stage. It could also be the difference between 1x12 and 2x12. I prefer a 2x12 and wasn't able to get the LSC in 2x12 unless I ordered it (with a 4 month waiting time). The TRRI 40th with its two 12" was already in the store ready for me to take home.

I play in a Blues-Rock band and also in a neo-surf band. The TRRI's reverb is the best I've ever heard (better than the LSC in my opinion). Overall the TRRI's clean is crisp and bright. It shimmers with my Strat's single coils. I also use the Twin's vibrato. For overdrive needs I use an TS-9 (reissue). The only things I'm going to miss is the LSC's effects loop and the solo boost. Also, the LSC had casters but the TRRI 40th doesn't.

Anyway, I did the deed on the weekend. I made the exchange. I'll let you know how things go:
blondes.jpg

Hey you could always go with a SS modeling amp, like the limp wristed crowd.

I don't know if I should post this, I may sound "Lime Wristed", but........ I really needed a multi sound setup for the smaller gigs last year and I had a 1973 Twin in pretty good shape that I went in and traded for a PODxt Live!!! I got the Podxt live and $100 cash..... That was the STUPIDEST thing I've done so far in my "quest for tone". I ended up getting rid of the PODxt Live (trading) for a POD and then selling the Pod for $225 on Ebay a few months ago. So in the end, I got $325 for my twin.

But I still have an old Fender (check out my Avatar). 1970-ish Deluxe.... This is the first amp I seen as a child growing up (it was my fathers), and the first amp I ever heard and played and still sounds beaurtiful. It went on the road with me back in the mid 90s - 5-6 days a week and was my main amp up until about 2002-ish (along with various foot pedals).. I still use it at practices, recording, small stage gigs (along with the multi FX pedal of the month) and when I just feel nostalgic.

All that being said, I really LOVE Boogies and will never be without one (or two sometimes). I like the darker clean sound you get from a rectifier as opposed to a Vox, Bogenr, Marshall ect... I have the perfect metal and country sound in my Tremoverb/s. I may not be able to access them at the push of a button like a modeler, but they are in there and they sound better than any modeler could come close to getting.

What were we talking about :?:

tele_jas said:
Hey you could always go with a SS modeling amp, like the limp wristed crowd.

I don't know if I should post this, I may sound "Lime Wristed", but........ I really needed a multi sound setup for the smaller gigs last year and I had a 1973 Twin in pretty good shape that I went in and traded for a PODxt Live!!! I got the Podxt live and $100 cash..... That was the STUPIDEST thing I've done so far in my "quest for tone". I ended up getting rid of the PODxt Live (trading) for a POD and then selling the Pod for $225 on Ebay a few months ago. So in the end, I got $325 for my twin.

Don't feel bad...we've all done silly things in our quest for gear. I've lost count of how many great guitars I've sold or traded hoping that the next one would be better or that it would improve my playing somehow. Then you realize that playing is in your hands. We learn our lessons the hard way sometimes. My time with Mesa Boogie was short but enjoyable. Who knows I may return with a purchase later on down the road. For now I'm enjoying the Fender Twin Reverb vibe!

By the way tele_jas, I checked out your web site. Cool!

Here's my band's online presence:
http://www.beckyabbottbluesensemble.com

Cheers,

-D

Thats a cool look on the Anniversary. Depends on how much you want the look.

Hey DoTheDo!

That really is a "sweet" looking set-up that you have there.
All kidding aside ENJOY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

old-guy said:
Hey DoTheDo!

That really is a "sweet" looking set-up that you have there.
All kidding aside ENJOY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naw, it needs a few rips, a good soak of beer stains on the white tolex, smoke stains, few catsup of chicken wings, etc ...

basically it need an "initiation" of some sort in a blues club. :twisted:

Just kidding, beautiful amp.

I like the XTL for just effects - no modeling. What's not to like with chorus, delay, trem, comp, distortion stomps, etc.?

To use modeling over any Mesa is a sin :D

I like the XTL for just effects - no modeling. What's not to like with chorus, delay, trem, comp, distortion stomps, etc.?

Not a thing was wrong with the XTL for FX, in fact that was my main processor for a few months with my triple recto and my Peavey XXX, but I only used delay and reverb just a little bit, and I already had a delay and reverb stomp box and they were easier to lug around and sounded pretty good too. I did like the tweakability of the XTL, but it was almost too much...... You could tweak on a tone you liked so much that it got to sounding "over processed". I now have a Vox Tonelab SE with less tweakability and I think it sounds sooooo much better and is soooo much easier to dial in tones than the XTL and I don't think it's just the tube, hell I think the tube is more of a gimmick, but I could be wrong. I've read stuff about people changing out the tube and getting a different feel and attack...... but I don't know?

Now, I have/use Tremoverbs so I only really need delay and my cheap-o Danelectro PB&J pedal does just what I need it to so I don't need to lug around any extra FX processores or stomps (but I always keep my VOX in my car now all the time for a backup).

Hmm, I think I went in the wrong direction with this thread? Sorry for the hi-jack.

I know what you mean on the tweaking... BOY do I know what you mean :)

But, between the Guitarport I have and the old Flextone III XL I used to have, I had a headstart when I got my XTL... and even now, I still finding myself backing off on certain effects to get a clearer tone...

... is Vox working on a new model of their all in one unit? I think with a bit more functionality, I'd really be interested in giving that one a spin...

We all have our preferences, and tone is a highly subjective thing.

For my part, I was very disappointed in my Fender amp experience. I had a Concert 1x12 combo bought new in 86 or so, and never liked the sounds I got, especially the moderately distorted tones (where I do some of my best work). Obviously several million musicians feel differently than I about Fenders.

Let us not also forget the very important factor of player touching guitar plugged into amp.

I personally have never been a big fan of Twins. But, when I listen to Derek Trucks playing through them with zero effects, wow...

Back