Mesa/Boogie Knock-offs by Bugera

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadifier

Reaction score
So, today I was on youtube and watching some rectifier videos and in one of the comments someone mentioned there is a new amp from BUGERA called the "TRIREC". I searched up this amp on google and found it at bugeras website. The TRIREC is a complete copy of the rectifiers in every way. It is even layed out in the same way as a boogie rectifier, it even has the same modes as the three channel rectifiers on channel two and three "Classic-AKA raw, Vintage, and modern.

Here is the Link to the TRIREC-1179.99 USD: http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/TRIREC.aspx

Bugera is also now ripping off the mark IV/V. It is called the magician. price- $1029.99 USD

LInk to the magician: http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/MAGICIAN.aspx

I didnt play that one but I tried a Bugera just for curosity when I was amp shopping at the start of the year . Didnt think much of it

they're made by behringer . says it all really. I got some cheap behringer DI's and stuff that I just use for jamming direct and they're good for the money but I wouldnt buy a tube amp off em

Silverwulf said:
Why would anyone pay that much when you can a real Recto used for that?
There is a triple rectifier at my local used amp store for $1000. i would much rather prefer a real mesa boogie rectifier. anyways bugera say its handwired and handbuilt but probably not really hand wired.

Roadifier said:
Silverwulf said:
Why would anyone pay that much when you can a real Recto used for that?
There is a triple rectifier at my local used amp store for $1000. i would much rather prefer a real mesa boogie rectifier. anyways bugera say its handwired and handbuilt but probably not really hand wired.

i agree i'd buy a REAL boogie before a knockoff

Of course id rather have the real Mesa amps, but I cant say that the Bugera amps ive heard live and on video have and can sound really great. They have a copy of a JCM 900, and a Peavy XXX, and if I didnt know it was a Bugera amp, id think it was the real thing. Great for the young player who knows what tone he wants, but in no way can afford it without saving for 10 years.

Im not fully for copying design and adding small changes from there (Think of all the big amp names who have done that...) but im not fully against it either. Right now they arent available in the states. Mesa has a lot of patents, and I can see them really fighting against this, so who know what will happen.

Would be funny to see some Bugera amps become some rare classic.

Peavey makes legitimate low-cost, high-quality, reliable, good-sounding gear that isn't a copy of anyone else's. They may not be the very best but they're certainly a great bargain at what they cost, and actually some of the most reliable gear out there at *any* price point. Anyone can afford a Peavey with a little saving - in fact I'm not sure that some models like the Valve King aren't *cheaper* than these Behringer knock-offs.

Behringer makes low-cost, low-quality gear that does also sound quite good - but it's easy to do that when you're stealing other people's Research and Development work. Bugera is simply a made-up brand name, as cynical and dishonest as any other aspect of their operation. If these models are remotely "hand wired" (which I doubt - the ones I've seen inside certainly weren't), it's done with low-paid Chinese labor. My guess is that it's just a blatant lie.

They have a history of being sued by the owners of the designs they rip off - hopefully Mesa will do so too.

That being said, some of the old Behringers that were pre-MIC were great...

The Bugera will still be tempting to others outside the US, cause Mesas, both used and new, are stupid expensive...

94Tremoverb said:
They have a history of being sued by the owners of the designs they rip off - hopefully Mesa will do so too.
I was hoping boogie had a lawsuit and sued. because people would be buying these thinking they sound exactly the same as a Rectifier and then buying more Bugera's because of a much lower used price, then Boogie could lose there profits to young musicians that don't have enough money for a real Rectifier

I doubt they will sound the same, maybe on you tube but not under real life conditions, an amp's sound is the sum of its parts and if those parts are diferent then the sound is different.
Not to say the bugeras dont sound ok, they do a very good job of approximating sounds of famous amps and at least give people an option for the sound they are after, to be fair some people simply cant afford Mesa but i doubt that anyone who could would buy a bugera instead.

To me, it looks to be more of a B-52 AT100 combined with a Triple Rec.

Of course, you're reading list price too, which won't sell. I'd expect them to be in the $6-700 range.

I'll be honest, I can't wait to try one and see how it compares.

Jerrick said:
Im not fully for copying design and adding small changes from there (Think of all the big amp names who have done that...) but im not fully against it either.

If it weren't for a blatant rip off of Fender, we wouldn't have Marshall, Mesa, Soldano, Fuchs, Dumble, etc, etc, etc.

mikey383 said:
If it weren't for a blatant rip off of Fender, we wouldn't have Marshall, Mesa, Soldano, Fuchs, Dumble, etc, etc, etc.

There is a fundamental difference between copying someone's circuit design and copying the entire structure of the amp down to the numerous unique options and switches. That Mark series ripoff is absolutely an outrageous theft of intellectual property from Mesa/Boogie.

The problem is that copyright and trademark laws are not international. The Chinese do not regard US copyrights and trademarks as having any validity, and they routinely ignore them -- case in point this amp, or more commonly the bootlegging of software, CDs, DVDs, etc. The Chinese don't have an issue with copying someone else's work in any form. It's part of their culture.

Unfortunately, US companies generally can't afford the time or money to take legal action against companies who are acting within their own country's acceptable behavior. China has to observe and protect US patents, trademarks, and copyrights before they'll be worthy of true partnership with the USA. Of course they also have to fix some human rights issues, too, but that's another story :p.
Bugerra is distributed by Behringer, but not necessarily MADE by Behringer, which is actually a German company.

The whole legal thing becomes very muddy... an EU company distributes a product made by a Chinese company that violates US laws. Hence the disclaimer at the bottom of the page showing that currently the product is not available for sale in the US.

Very interesting though. And while the amp might be nice for a kid who can't afford the real toys, if you see an actual working musician playing out in the US with one of these rip-offs, perhaps his/her music should end up on limewire or another free file sharing service... let them learn what piracy feels like firsthand. It's a karma thing, right?

Scott

scottkahn said:
mikey383 said:

There is a fundamental difference between copying someone's circuit design and copying the entire structure of the amp down to the numerous unique options and switches.

+1. Also, all those companies took the design platform and added something different, or ran with it in some other direction. They didn't just clone the circuit path, slap a different logo on the front, and try to undercut the original's prices.

+1. There's a big difference between something inspired by, derived from, or evolved from, another design for the purpose of improving the art, and one that is wholesale stolen for the purposes of taking sales from another company by undercutting them on price.

True, Marshall did copy the '59 Bassman - but by then the Tweed Bassman was out of production, Fender amps were unobtainable in the UK at the time due to import restrictions, and Marshall changed the concept by making it a head with a sealed 4x12", as well as using different components and ending up with quite a different-sounding amp.

Also true that Mesa did copy some of the preamp design of the Soldano SLO - but only up to a point. The rest of the amp is totally different, and as it evolved through the revisions continued to move further away. It's no more a Soldano copy than Soldanos are Marshall copies or any Marshall later than the JTM45 are Bassman copies.

Back