Mesa/Boogie Knock-offs by Bugera

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we all need to face reality that the Bugera amp exists and just a matter of time before folks out here will be playing it to make music. We'll see how things unfold on this one, but if the price is right and the sound is good, it might just undercut Boogies pricing points.

I had a bugera for 2 months or so.But I sold it to get my dual recto. Bugera was prety descent for tis moneys worth but there is simply no comparison between the 2

I sold a bugera 333xl to help fund a DR purchase.
The 333xl had awesome tone. Great clean channel. With a speaker and tube swap it was great. Kind of wished I still had it just for practice.
The only thing "wrong" with the amp in the 9 months I had it was that sometimes the standby light would stay lit even after I turned it off, and every single solitary screw in the cabinet (it was a combo) needed atleast 4 turns to tighten. One screw was literally dangling out. I have read about that before from other people.
Other than that, nice amp. It could only yell though... couldnt scream. Its a good thing I sold it before I got the DR, because the Re would have stole its lunch money and told it to get the **** out of here.

If Vernon Reid uses them, they can't be that bad although his are either custom-made or modded I'd imagine (at least the tranny's):

For gear, I used Bugera and Recto amps, but I made the majority of the record with the Bugeras and some combos. I discovered Bugera amps when we played the Rocklahoma Festival a few years ago. I use a 333XL head with two 4x12 bottoms, as well as a 333XL combo.

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/dear_guitar_hero_vernon_reid?page=0,1

I would buy a used Bugera perhaps, seems like a good deal used, although reliability may be a major issue.

NOTE: Vernon Reid is not listed on their website as an endorsee apparently...

Does anybody know from a technical perspective if the quality of the components of the Bugera's are high (at least to say the current production Marshall standards)? Cheap labor is part of the equation in the lower pricing, but what about the quality of components which affect sound and reliability???

The ones I've seen inside seem on about a par with the modern Marshall stuff, yes. But that is not a particularly good recommendation. You also need to check component specs in the exact circuit application, not just the general quality of the component - it's fairly easy to cut costs by using lower power and voltage-rated parts where they're not strictly necessary, but then it's tempting to try to get away with lower-rated parts where they are more genuinely required. The notorious burned-out board connector problem is one of these, that component is no worse quality than any other company uses but it just doesn't have enough current rating for the job here.

the thing is, even if this bugera can only pull of some of that huge triple rec tone its going to be big down here in australia. i had to pay $1400 for my year old single rec head. most second hand duals and triples sit between 2 and 3 grand which is ridiculous, let alone dropping around 6 grand on one fresh from US soil in the guitar stores. i still have never tried a bugera but most behringer stuff is good quality for the stupid cheap price hear in aus, i think their factories are in asia.

I'm not gonna lie, the Bugera V55HD (head version ) sounds really **** nice-especially for those who need to be on a budget. The cleans are super sweet (reminds me of the classic Fender cleans ) with a really nice sounding reverb, plus the dirty channel can get pretty crunchy and smooth. The effects loop is also suppose to be pretty transparent. Not bad at all for a couple hundred bucks.

~Nep~

erectifier said:
the thing is, even if this bugera can only pull of some of that huge triple rec tone its going to be big down here in australia. i had to pay $1400 for my year old single rec head. most second hand duals and triples sit between 2 and 3 grand which is ridiculous, let alone dropping around 6 grand on one fresh from US soil in the guitar stores. i still have never tried a bugera but most behringer stuff is good quality for the stupid cheap price hear in aus, i think their factories are in asia.

who actually buys new mesa amps in australia? the prices have been high since I've joined this board (approx. 5 yrs now). at one point i was thinking about selling mesa amps from USA to Australia/Europe but I called Mesa and they said that they don't post-mod the export tranny. You have to buy it like that (which is outside of USA at higher prices)...

Neptical said:
I'm not gonna lie, the Bugera V55HD (head version ) sounds really **** nice-especially for those who need to be on a budget. The cleans are super sweet (reminds me of the classic Fender cleans ) with a really nice sounding reverb, plus the dirty channel can get pretty crunchy and smooth. The effects loop is also suppose to be pretty transparent. Not bad at all for a couple hundred bucks.

~Nep~

I just viewed the back pic of that head on MF and the tranny's look "fake" to me. They're shiny silverish color/hue. What's up with that? I learned that typically the most expensive components in a tube amp are the tranny's. What brand/model of tranny's does Bugera use? And how tolerant are they of resistance mismatches? mesas, diezels and riveras seem pretty tolerant of mismatches and no load for a few minutes.

I'd like to see someone buy one from MF and as an experiment turn it on and off standby with no spkr cable for 3 mins and then plug it into a spkr cab. Will it work? Any damage?

This matters a lot (esp. if you drink and play). I've fucked up some power tubes b/c of these types of mismatched load or no load situations...

Yes, 150W from four current production EL34s isn't possible unless you use some creative definitions of power measurement. It was just about achievable in the old days with Mullards and Sylvania 6CA7s, although probably stretching it a bit even then. But it's amazing how much more "power" you can get if you allow, say, 10% THD. It's still just another way of BSing with numbers.

The circuit boards aren't bad - from what I remember they're the typical Behringer double-sided blue glass-epoxy type - that's not where the problems are likely to occur. The transformers will be their own OEM variety from some factory in China - no way are they going to fit anything with a name you would know, that would probably double the build cost of the amp at source. Transformers are indeed the most expensive components, although that's not always what matters in mass-production - the R&D costs, even divided by the number of amps made, can still end up being the single largest cost. Hence why Behringer can cut a lot on this, because they often just steal other companies' work so they don't have to do as much themselves...

94Tremoverb said:
Yes, 150W from four current production EL34s isn't possible unless you use some creative definitions of power measurement. It was just about achievable in the old days with Mullards and Sylvania 6CA7s, although probably stretching it a bit even then. But it's amazing how much more "power" you can get if you allow, say, 10% THD. It's still just another way of BSing with numbers.

The circuit boards aren't bad - from what I remember they're the typical Behringer double-sided blue glass-epoxy type - that's not where the problems are likely to occur. The transformers will be their own OEM variety from some factory in China - no way are they going to fit anything with a name you would know, that would probably double the build cost of the amp at source. Transformers are indeed the most expensive components, although that's not always what matters in mass-production - the R&D costs, even divided by the number of amps made, can still end up being the single largest cost. Hence why Behringer can cut a lot on this, because they often just steal other companies' work so they don't have to do as much themselves...

So it sounds like if I were to buy a Bugera and mod it with MM tranny's (or similar high quality tranny's), then they may actually be pretty decent? But at that point, you may as well purchase a used Mesa or even a Peavey.

Plus their warranty is only for 1 yr which is much less than Mesa and others:

http://www.bugera-amps.com/en/Support/LimitedWarranty.aspx

another reason to buy a Mesa:
This limited warranty is extended exclusively to the original buyer (customer of authorized retail dealer) and is not transferable to anyone who may subsequently purchase this product. No other person (retail dealer, etc.) shall be entitled to give any warranty promise on behalf of BEHRINGER.

rabies said:
Neptical said:

~Nep~

I just viewed the back pic of that head on MF and the tranny's look "fake" to me. They're shiny silverish color/hue. What's up with that?

The pic on MF Is fake. Thats not a real head... Its a drawing

Roadifier said:
rabies said:
Neptical said:

~Nep~

I just viewed the back pic of that head on MF and the tranny's look "fake" to me. They're shiny silverish color/hue. What's up with that?

The pic on MF Is fake. Thats not a real head... Its a drawing

At least speaking for the V55HD,and as I said before, it's definitely a great sounding amp for a person on a budget. Yeah, its definitely not anywheres near the quality of a Mesa by a *long* shot, but for a few hundred bucks you get what you pay for..and in this case this is a nice value for some pretty sweet tones. This amp really surprised me, and that's hard to do as a musician and gear head of 24+ years. The tone of this amp sort of reminds me of the Laney VH100R in a way. The added bonus of triode or pentode switch is pretty **** sweet. I'd probably soup it up a little and take out the stock 2x 6L6, replace them with a nice set of Winged =C='s 6L6GC and also replace the stock 12AX7's with some nice Tung-Sol's, if not RFTs. You'd got yourself a pretty banging backup for dirt cheap.

~Nep~

I believe that Mesa hold there value they are well made amps. Its like buying a fine wine or a classic car. They are expensive for a reason. They are build like tanks and last for ever. I have played Bugera and i have owned them amps and cabs. They are good amps for the price but do not expect for them to last. I mean if you take care of them like a baby they will but the point is to play the carp out of them.

Bugera makes good sounding amps but Mesa tops them hands down. Mesas are worth the money used or new. Who ever sells there boogies knows what they got that why they ask for a high price. If you have the money you cant go wrong. If not a Bugera will do just fine.

Props to both brands.

i had a bugera cab for a month until i found a new one. worst tone ever.

also, rated at 100watts...my 50 watt recto blew out a speaker :roll:

I've seen Bugeras at a couple music shops in town. They sound decent for their price point. I think they are geared as a step up from say Line6 or Marshall AVT lines. My question is how do they hold up in real world playing conditions or are they geared towards the bedroom rockers? I've seen Line6 Spider 2's overheat and quit in live situations. AVt's just sound horrible at stage volumes. How do the Bugeras perform in a live setting? Not that I would ever buy one, I'll use my Dual Rec until it flat out dies.

Posting in this old thread on purpose to make this point: I'm still playing my 15 year old TriRec with no problems. Still has the original tubes in it too. Mind you I haven't used it a bunch in recent years but when I fired it up recently it came right up and still sounds killer. I've played Dual Rectifiers and Triple Rectifiers but the Bugera actually sounds better to me. The Mesa's are kind of flabby on the low end and fizzy on the top end without some sort of tube screamer in front of them. Never had those issues with the Bugera... 15+ years and still going strong. It was $300 used back in 2009.

Back