Mesa Boogie F-30 enough clean headroom?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny P

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my first post,

I've just tried an F-30 and thought it was a great amp and preferred its clean and OD channel tone to the F-50 which I also tried. My only concern is that the F30 will have enough clean headroom to compete with a reasonably loud drummer without miking in a small club or pub and rehearsals. I currently use a Fender Hot Rod deluxe which is just about loud enough on the clean channel at 40 watts with 2 6L6 power valves.

My reasoning behind this is that the F-30 has two EL84 power valves. This configuration is normally only associated with 15 watt amps such as a Vox AC15, Fender Blues Junior, Orange AD15. I know an Orange AD15 has'nt got enough clean headroom as I've rehearsed with one and it has the same Vintage 30 speaker as the F30.

So, is the F30 only actually around 15-20 watts? I know I could get an F-50, but I did prefer the more "chimey" mid range that the F30 has over the F-50. When I tried the F30 it seemed pretty loud clean before it broke up, but obviously its difficult to tell without buying the amp. and taking it home.

Thank you for your time.

John

Johnny P, welcome to the forum! :)

The F-30 is rated for 22 W RMS with (2) EL-84 tubes in class-AB. The reason it gets the "30" designation is partially marketing, but mostly because the patented dynawatt power section can deliver bursts of power similar to a 30 W amplifier. I have no doubt that the F-30 will work fine for most people in overdrive, but my suggestion to you would be to take advantage of Guitar Center's return policy and try one out. If you find the clean isn't loud enough, you can return it and get an F-50. I personally prefer the tone of 6L6 clean and I went with the F-100, but that's the beauty of the line. There's something for everyone. If you really love the tone of the F-30, but need more headroom you could always change to a more efficient speaker.

When you get a chance, take a look at the massive F-series lounge on the HCAF: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885856

I wouldn't call the F-30 "chimey" but I did like the amp. Supposedly it's 22 watts. I had used it on larger stages, and I wasn't able to turn it up quite as high as I would have liked. My drummer wasn't the hardest hitter, though.

Thank you. I'm in the UK, but I guess I could find a shop willing to let me exchange if it does'nt have enough headroom. I suppose you could up the headroom by swapping the pre-amp valves for 12AT7's or lower.

Any F-30 users out there who find it has ample headroom to compete with a drummer?

I am a clean player and have played an F30.

The cleans weren't bright enough for me and it lacked the clean headroom for my needs which is often un-mic'd gigs.

I have also got a f-30. i play with a loud drummer, and did try out the amp in a rehearsal situation a week or two ago. We play loud rock! It could not keep up with him. But ALMOST! Actually I'm wondering the same thing as you; is it loud enough for a small gig-sit!? I haven't tried, but it MIGHT JUST be loud enough! If I sometimes could let my recto + 4x12" stay at home and just take the f-30 with me, i would be happy....

And Hal9000: you say it could be an option to change the v30 to a more efficient speaker! Which speakers are you thinking of? Maybe that would do it!? A celestion g12t-75? Or...? sounds interesting if that could be the solution!
B.R. andershoeg

andershoeg said:
I have also got a f-30. i play with a loud drummer, and did try out the amp in a rehearsal situation a week or two ago. We play loud rock! It could not keep up with him. But ALMOST! Actually I'm wondering the same thing as you; is it loud enough for a small gig-sit!? I haven't tried, but it MIGHT JUST be loud enough! If I sometimes could let my recto + 4x12" stay at home and just take the f-30 with me, i would be happy....

And Hal9000: you say it could be an option to change the v30 to a more efficient speaker! Which speakers are you thinking of? Maybe that would do it!? A celestion g12t-75? Or...? sounds interesting if that could be the solution!
B.R. andershoeg
I'm not sure about the tone, but the Eminence Red Coat Red Fang has a sensitivity of 103 dB SPL 1W/1m meaning, the clean with this speaker would be comparable to 44 W with the vintage 30. The V30 has a 100 dB SPL rating.

Red Fang

Thank you, its a shame really, because I think the F30 is the better sounding amp and a true 30 watts would probably have been loud enough.

Latest posts

Back