Maverick noise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesCarr

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing a maverick from guitar center. I have not finished my 30 day return period yet. I am getting a noise when I play two or three note chords this to me seems not to be part of the normal distortion it's like a lower frequency buzz. The only way to get rid of it is to turn the volume or master or output volumes down to 8-9 o'clock position or turn the treble and mid down to 8-9 o'clock position. I wonder if there is a circuit problem, because I just changed out the whole power tube section, or maybe a speaker farting. I like the amp but the distorted harmonic is frustrating this noise occurs if I use single coil or hum bucking pickups. :?

I've owned my Maverick since '91 and mine has that buzz too. It’s the preamp tubes and one of them, probably in V1 or V2, is noisy. Swap the tubes around until you find one that is quieter than the others, and that’s about all you can do. I’ve called Mesa a bunch of times with this problem and every time they tell me it’s the tubes. They send me new tubes.....and it seems to fix the problem. I think it’s a design flaw in the Maverick personally, because I have never had the same sound and at the same level of reoccurrence in any other tube amp.

Mavericks’ are a fine amps, not a great amp, but a fine one and they cover a lot of ground, but they are pretty noisy.

Steve

Latest posts

Back