Maverick help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damntall

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a dual recto Maverick... preferably a rackmounted version, and I wondered if you had any advice for me on what to look for and what I should be looking to pay for one in good condition...?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I paid $650 for a 2000 Blue Angel 1;12 combo WITHOUT a speaker, plus 1/2 the shipping. It was mint, the guy had changed the speaker to a neo, sold the original, and I wasn't interested in the neo.

The Blue Angel is similar to the Maverick, but a single channel with multiple tube options. Actually, not very similar, but about the same age maybe? There is a guy on here called SixVeeSix who gigs a Maverick, he'll chime in soon and tell you what to look for.

Best of luck, I hear nothing but good things about the Maverick.

Murph.

Look for the 1 x 12 model, the 2 x 12 chassis is too wide for a rack.
On the Maverick, "dual-recto" refers to the choice of a solid state rectifier, or the tube, a 5AR4. It doesn't have two rectifier tubes, like the Dual Rectifier heads.

Welp... I have a Blue Angel and I've always been confused by it's denomination as part of the DR line. There isn't a diode/tube rectification switch anywhere on it. Heh... I guess that means it's a DR in logo only...

I think the blue angel automatically selects tube or diode rectifier depending on how many tubes you're running, but it does use both.

either a short head or 1x12 combo can be rackmounted. I've seen them go for between $600 and $900 and it completely depends on how many people are after them at the time.

My Blue Angel does say Dual Rectifier on the front, but I've never understood that either. I think there was a thread about that, might have been mine, but my brain doesn't retain things anymore.

I think the gray hair is the release of gray matter, which is the brain, and as more and more is released, your ability to make sense goes to hell.

Just my opinion,

Murph.

MrMarkIII is correct... the Maverick has two rectifiers... one tube, and one solid state with a rear-panel switch.

They're rare, I know, but I'm not sure whether that would have any effect on desirability (and therefore what I would pay for one). Thanks for the info, guys.

You want the short head for rack mounting. It came in a 1-12" and a head version. The long head is great too but too wide for a standard rack. It came in a 2-12, a 4-10 and a head.

Easiest way to tell a short head is the Bright/Fat switch and the Channel switch are tucked away on the BACK side. If it has those switches on the front it is a long head. The short head also came from the factory with a fan between the rectifier tube and the power tubes.

It is a great amp, very underrated. I gig mine pretty regularly now, it does everything I need and sounds awesome. It is a true Dual Rectifier, you can switch between tube and solid state rectifiers.

FWIW the Blue Angel uses a tube rectifier for the power tubes and a solid state rectifier for the preamp tubes, another true Dual Rectifier. I have two Dual Rectifiers and no heavy metal!! :D

Latest posts

Back