Maverick 2x12 or 4x10????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
OK all you Maverick owners out there.....

What is the difference in tone, feel, etc. between the Maverick 2x12 combo and the 4x10 combo?

Is the tonal difference very drastic?

And, is the tonal difference enough to warrant different musical styles?
I'm guessing 2x12 is better for country and 4x10 is better for blues, but it's just a guess.

wll, I don't know if this would help but to me the 4x10 is an overall good, country, rock, blues... the 2x12 sound is a little too dark on the amps I have tried, the 4x10 has more clarity and definition of the notes, the mids are very high on these amps but seems that the 2x12 mids are in the low range while 4x10 mids are in the high range, both amps are very tonefull but the 4x10 to me is way better than the 2x12, so much that I bougth a second 4x12 instead of a 2x12.

I own a mav 4x10 as well as have a recto closed back cab and a tremoverb which is open back 2x12 (I slave the speakers sometimes) and the tones are different across the board. Someone's already mentioned it but the V30s don't allow you to get the versatility of the amp to its full potential. It handles great with blues and country. I blend it with my TOV too to give it really full tones. To me the 4x10 has a really rich full sound to it. I absolutely love it. The only reason I'm getting rid of mine is to cover the expense for the RK II I just got and am having the FJA mod done to it.

FJA mods does a push pull gain pot that adds a smooth rich high gain to any amp and they sound absolutely brutal. Def worth the $350 for it to be done IMO. All 4 channels are getting it so it really will be a tonal beast. check em out.... fjamods.com

I haven't tried 4x10" Maverick yet, but I plan to experiment with when I have a chance to build a Maverick for 4x10" combo or head and 4x10" enclosure.

I have a 2x12" Maverick and although the Vintage 30s that came with it sound fine I find myself perfering Celestion Green Back and Celestion Heritage combination for Blues and Classic Rock, that what I was gong for out of this amp. Like EMGguitarist, my ToV could take care of the heavier stuff.

But this still was harsh edginess in the presence region but less than the Vintage 30s. I can't say its a bad thing since it did the 80ish Hair Band sound but still wanting the Classic Rock / Blues sound.

So a local guitar speaker sales, guitar tube amp repair / modification technician recommend this set up:
BlueDogSilverBell.jpg

Weber Blue Dog and Silver Bell both 30 watt speakers w/ alnico magnets.

This combo is Sweeeeetttt if you really like to play blues and classic rock! If you want edgier stuff with you Maverick then go with Celestion Greenback and Heritage set up.

After playing my 1x12 for almost a month now(and really loving it!), I'm thinking a 4x10 would be the way to go. I've got a couple of reasons for this. I bought the single 12 for greater portability over my all tube crate 2x12. Other than a smaller size, it didn't do that for me. Crate TV6212 is 62lbs. My boogie is 59lbs. I'm guessing the 2x12 and 4x10 are pretty similar to each other in weight, so not much benefit either way in that area. I've always felt that 4x10's were more responsive than twin 12's in both guitar amps and car audio. Everything feels tighter with more emphasis on the mids and highs. Exactly what you want for country, rockabilly, and blues in my opinion. In other words, you will always have more mid and high available if you need it. The 12's will have more low end at the expense of some mids and highs. Personally, 12's have more low end than I would ever need and I end up turning the bass knob down a lot more. Actually the 10's probably provide more bass than I would ever need. For rockabilly, I've always preferred 10's. I've got friends with hot rod devilles and peavey classic 50's in 4x10 configs and they are all beautiful. You can also mix and match more speakers. Good luck on your journey.
Steve

These are great replies.

I guess that I should ask this too.....

Can the distortion channel get older ZZ Top tones with out pedals? I'm thinking "Heard it on the X," "Nasty Dogs & Funky Kings," etc.

Absolutely! I think anything pre-80's is quite convincing. I play zeppelin all the time along with lagrange and other zz top. I was worried about it not having enough for the dirty work but it delivers in my opinion. Heck, I've even been playing rage against the machine lately. Does it nail the rage? No, but it comes pretty darn close. The distortion and feedback with this is beautiful to me through my SD equipped Epi SG. Even b4 the pups, it sounded great. I've never been a pedal person. Always guitar>cable>tube amp. Sometimes my original crybaby or danelectro coolcat chorus. I still might get an Xotic BB+ in the future(and a tele, p90 sg, gretsch 5129......). My sound isn't limited by my equipment, I'm the weakest link.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I've decided that I'm going to sell off a bunch of stuff that I don't use and get a Maverick.

I found one here (4x10), but I have to raise the money now.

That 2x12 with Weber alnicos looks extremely tempting too though!

Back