Mark V + TC Electronic G-System - Changing Channels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Guru

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I own a TC Electronics G-System, and i´ve just bought a Mark V. I would like to "link" them to change effects and channels at once. The question is that i know that is possible to do it, but i don´t know how. So please can you tell me what i need to do? :wink:

Thanks for your support (and excuse my english if i´ve made mistakes, it´s not my mother tongue). 8)

Regards from Spain.

Guru.

If you want to use all the V's Footswitch functions: channels, reverb, eq, solo etc...
http://www.rjmmusic.com/miniampgizmo.php

Not sure but the TC if I remember correct will only switch a 2 channel amp via the relay.... can't remember if you have one or 2 of those... the mini amp gizmo would be better imho.

+1 on the Mini Amp Gizmo. I have one set up with a BOSS GT-10 and I can change settings on the Mark V based on the Program Change messages that the GT generates. Very efficient, clean, and very small too. They're currently building a custom Mark V cable to eliminate the footswitch completely too. I would highly recommend RJM. Ron Menelli runs a class business!

They're currently building a custom Mark V cable to eliminate the footswitch completely too.
Ron still doesn't have the cable made yet?

cam said:
They're currently building a custom Mark V cable to eliminate the footswitch completely too.
Ron still doesn't have the cable made yet?

I pre-ordered mine a while ago and haven't yet got it. It may be that I ordered late and the order is backlogged. I was told on July 2nd that the V cable will be out "next week" but haven't heard back after that. That said the news came from the dealer (Tone Merchants) and not Ron himself.

The G-System has 4 switches (two jacks, but they are stereo jacks so you have to use TRS jacks with splitters, etc.) You can control the 4 functions on the Mark V with the G-System, but the Tuner Mute and other functions would be "set and forget". The (mini or) Amp Gizmo is what you need with the custom cable.

My advice would be to get on the TC forum and check the posts by Laird Williams. He wrote the white paper that you will need to make the G-System work.

ok thanks!

I didn´t notice that i need an external device to do it. I was trying using directly the multi-effects.

ok, i´ll post to TC and ask them too.

Thanks for your answers.

Regards.

Guru.

Mark Fore said:
The G-System has 4 switches (two jacks, but they are stereo jacks so you have to use TRS jacks with splitters, etc.) You can control the 4 functions on the Mark V with the G-System, but the Tuner Mute and other functions would be "set and forget". The (mini or) Amp Gizmo is what you need with the custom cable.

The Tuner mute functions, etc. are not a problem for me if i can switch the channels, but i´m not pretty sure of the "Solo" Function... :?

Thanks.

The amp gizmo really defeats the purpose of the G-System. I haven't received my Mark V yet but I'll definitely be looking into all of the solutions when I do.

theroan said:
Well the Gizmo allows for the full use of the G system.

Actually, it ignores the use of the amp switching features of the G-System and adds more hardware to your setup...which is what the G-System is there to eliminate. If I wanted to use MIDI switching for all of my gear, I probably wouldn't have bought a G-System. A ground control and a G-Force/G-Major would have been more appropriate.

Iconoclysm said:
If I wanted to use MIDI switching for all of my gear, I probably wouldn't have bought a G-System. A ground control and a G-Force/G-Major would have been more appropriate.

Well, i find the ground control of the G-System really cool. 8) :mrgreen:

Iconoclysm said:
theroan said:

Actually, it ignores the use of the amp switching features of the G-System and adds more hardware to your setup...which is what the G-System is there to eliminate. If I wanted to use MIDI switching for all of my gear, I probably wouldn't have bought a G-System. A ground control and a G-Force/G-Major would have been more appropriate.

But if the Mark V doesn't do midi, what other option do you have if you still want to use the G-System for that purpose?

theroan said:
Iconoclysm said:
theroan said:

But if the Mark V doesn't do midi, what other option do you have if you still want to use the G-System for that purpose?

The G-System has analog amp switching built into it. Mesa designs their switching a little different than the rest of the world, so it can be complicated or you have to sacrifice a feature or two...but with most any amp out there, the G-System is all you need.

If Mesa only put two channels on their amps the G-System would work without any other gear. You can't fault Mesa for providing functionality. Whether you choose to use it or not is your choice... and if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. Word.

Not really.. you can amp channel switch the V using the G System as Mark said. Keep in mind the G System also doesn't have gain pedals either which is extra hardware, and IMHO should have gain effects built in. There's nothing out there that does everything for everyone... including the Mark V.

I too like the G System and had one a few years back, but I ran through single channel amps and thus had to have gain pedals. I now use the AxeFx with the V... and still use some of it's gain pedals for more tonal flavors... and will soon have the amp gizmo which will shrink my rig down to a small pedalboard with the LF Jr and 2 Expression pedals, one amp and 1 - 4 space effects rack ( short easy to connect cables ). For me, I like the idea of running 1 long MIDI cable from the pedalboard to the AFX as opposed to 3-6 long cables back to the amp rig.

Mark Fore said:
If Mesa only put two channels on their amps the G-System would work without any other gear. You can't fault Mesa for providing functionality. Whether you choose to use it or not is your choice... and if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. Word.
I didn't fault them for it, just the way it is. Also, it's not because of the number of channels.

cam said:

Not really.. you can amp channel switch the V using the G System as Mark said. Keep in mind the G System also doesn't have gain pedals either which is extra hardware, and IMHO should have gain effects built in. There's nothing out there that does everything for everyone... including the Mark V.

I too like the G System and had one a few years back, but I ran through single channel amps and thus had to have gain pedals. I now use the AxeFx with the V... and still use some of it's gain pedals for more tonal flavors... and will soon have the amp gizmo which will shrink my rig down to a small pedalboard with the LF Jr and 2 Expression pedals, one amp and 1 - 4 space effects rack ( short easy to connect cables ). For me, I like the idea of running 1 long MIDI cable from the pedalboard to the AFX as opposed to 3-6 long cables back to the amp rig.

I remove the console and run it in a rack, so it's all the same to me.

Greetings El Guru,

I recently set up my Mark V head to be switched with my G-system and took detailed notes. Here's what I did below. Sorry if it's too detailed, but I put more in case you weren't too familiar with getting around the G.

1. I took a 6" Y cable splitter cable (single stereo male plug to 2 mono females is what I used), and you'll need two if you wish to switch for solo or EQ as well. Also you'll need at least two mono cables of whatever length it takes to reach your Mark V. My Gsystem "brains" are rackmounted and sitting on top of my Mark V.

2. Plug the first Y-cable into SW1 switch on the Gsystem. The Y-splitter I purchased is color coded black (TIP) and red (RING). I plugged the TIP end into Ch.2 switch on the MKV, and the RING into Ch.3. The I took the TIP from the second Y-cable and plugged into the SOLO switch.

3. On the Gsystem pedal board, select the preset you wish to change. Hit EDIT (upper right most button) then use PAGE (just to the left of EDIT) to scroll through to RELAY parameter and hit ENTER (bottom left blinking light).

4. Use Encoder C to switch the right most parameter to say "RELAY A", then use Encoder A to change the "0000" that you'll see to a combination that switches the V. Here are my settings:
To switch to Clean: CCCC
To switch to Ch2: 0CC0
To switch to Ch3: CC0C
To switch to Clean with SOLO boost: C0CC
To switch to CH2 with SOLO boost: C0C0
To switch to CH3 with SOLO boost: C00C

5. When you're done, just save the preset by holding down the preset select button until the LCD screen changes, then hit DOWN/ENTER to save.

Hope this helps!

Oh, sorry, forgot to add that you'll need to plug the second Y cable into SW2 on the back of the Gsystem, then the extending cable into SOLO switch on the V.

Back