New guy here with possible mark 2 c +

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty well established that the + mod to the Mark IIC makes the amp so much better, that we refer to a IIC without the + mod as a Mark IIC Minus.

Literally there is no demand at all to leave a IIC in its original form. If you sell it to me in that form, I'll be glad to buy it cheap, and as soon as I get it, off it goes to Mesa to get the + mod. Anybody, and everybody, will do the same thing.
How generous.

Mesa is no longer doing mods on any amps, thank you Gibson. It would have to be done by a 3rd party.

I agree that there is no added value in keeping it merely a IIC.
Officially "they" (he) is no longer doing mods and it has nothing to do with gibson. I don't have their back - just bringing reality into it. It doesn't hurt to ask and if you had a IIC you wanted converted AND you are willing to pay for it (read: not cheap) I think he would do it if you approached it right. It's worked for me this year.

I have 2 of the IIC that I have no plans on converting and am willing to plug in to an amp before dismissing 12,000 Marks as not good enough. I guess call me stoopid for not preying at the alter of greed.

"This is one priest that I don't have to fall on down to my knees and pray, No!!!!!"
Hymn 5, Book of Sin after Sin

Last edited:
Officially "they" (he) is no longer doing mods and it has nothing to do with gibson. I don't have their back - just bringing reality into it. It doesn't hurt to ask and if you had a IIC you wanted converted AND you are willing to pay for it (read: not cheap) I think he would do it if you approached it right. It's worked for me this year.

I have 2 of the IIC that I have no plans on converting and am willing to plug in to an amp before dismissing 12,000 Marks as not good enough. I guess call me stoopid for not preying at the alter of greed.

"This is one priest that I don't have to fall on down to my knees and pray, No!!!!!"
Are those intended double entendres that you used or unintentional adjectives. Either way it was hilarious! Thanks for the “morning clearing of the cob webs”.

Are those intended double entendres that you used or unintentional adjectives. Either way it was hilarious! Thanks for the “morning clearing of the cob webs”.
You like that huh? I need multiple cups of fermented black tea and a 6 power tube bong to get me there.

My mind is bent (pun intended) on writing with sub meanings, doubles , and open to interpretations often too. If you ever hear me sing a heartfelt love song you can be sure it is really for one of my dogs. Gotta take character and sing with feeling or you aint got that swing!

For myself, and I imagine many others, we're looking for a specific sound, and that is not a not a dismissal of the 12,499 amps that came before the one we pine over. We're all on our own quest for tone, and it's not really about what's good or not good, just about what's good for the individual player.

For myself, and I imagine many others, we're looking for a specific sound, and that is not a not a dismissal of the 12,499 amps that came before the one we pine over. We're all on our own quest for tone, and it's not really about what's good or not good, just about what's good for the individual player.
I can respect that from your 1st person view and the fact this is a boogie board about a specific amp made popular by what I consider a commercial pop band for guitarists but was lumped into thrash in the day.

So true to your word there are many who visit this board seeking out their amp that took on the idol status of the player pined for. If it was Iommi I might have done the same thing to a limited degree.

But I've read lots of posts on here by people that love the IIA and they could care less about the liquid lead of a IIC+. So "we are all" not on your quest.

On this board I expect I am a minority but I am not alone in the world as a guitarist on the quest for no specific tone at all and I still love these old Marks. I am looking for inspiration. Period. My musical tastes are very heavy influenced by late 60's and 70's and living through the 80's was hell-on-earth as the music industry took the reigns away from the musicians. Everyone has different tastes despite this board's concentration of metal heads.

And every amp is different, so to say you are questing for the IIC+ tone means you are swimming in a large ocean searching for just a few fish.

I'll let @GJgo give his own opinion but last week we played several amps, IIA's was the intent but fresh from Mike IIB loop mod coli, and a pair of IIC+ conversions, SRG and DR. I don't know anyone who has played more IIC+'s fresh from mb.

Both of us felt the DR, but Jeremy's body language and quickly ready to move on told me he did not respect the SRG compared to his experiences. I heard a chainsaw grit that reminding me of Ted in his Amboy Dukes era. That is a far stretch from 80's metal and I suspect Great White Buffalo didn't make the cut for thrash.

Different horses for different courses and we used a recto 2x12 with one DV77, the 15L in a IIA combo and an unknown darker 15" in an open back mesa LS 1x15. Not the speakers I planned to use but each amp was plugged into all 3 and none sounded remotely close to the other.

In other words a IIC+ sounded night, day and other worldly different depending what speaker you use. I have $5k into the SRG, too much yeah but it's the journey not the destination. I could sell that and buy 10 used cabs that would do way more on a tone quest than rolling the dice on a IIC+ to be your one.

Last edited:
I can respect that from your 1st person view and the fact this is a boogie board about a specific amp made popular by what I consider a commercial pop band for guitarists but was lumped into thrash in the day.

So true to your word there are many who visit this board seeking out their amp that took on the idol status of the player pined for. If it was Iommi I might have done the same thing to a limited degree.

But I've read lots of posts on here by people that love the IIA and they could care less about the liquid lead of a IIC+. So "we are all" not on your quest.

On this board I expect I am a minority but I am not alone in the world as a guitarist on the quest for no specific tone at all and I still love these old Marks. I am looking for inspiration. Period. My musical tastes are very heavy influenced by late 60's and 70's and living through the 80's was hell-on-earth as the music industry took the reigns away from the musicians. Everyone has different tastes despite this board's concentration of metal heads.

And every amp is different, so to say you are questing for the IIC+ tone means you are swimming in a large ocean searching for just a few fish.

I'll let @GJgo give his own opinion but last week we played several amps, IIA's was the intent but fresh from Mike IIB loop mod coli, and a pair of IIC+ conversions, SRG and DR. I don't know anyone who has played more IIC+'s fresh from mb.

Both of us felt the DR, but Jeremy's body language and quickly ready to move on told me he did not respect the SRG compared to his experiences. I heard a chainsaw grit that reminding me of Ted in his Amboy Dukes era. That is a far stretch from 80's metal and I suspect Great White Buffalo didn't make the cut for thrash.

Different horses for different courses and we used a recto 2x12 with one DV77, the 15L in a IIA combo and an unknown darker 15" in an open back mesa LS 1x15. Not the speakers I planned to use but each amp was plugged into all 3 and none sounded remotely close to the other.

In other words a IIC+ sounded night, day and other worldly different depending what speaker you use. I have $5k into the SRG, too much yeah but it's the journey not the destination. I could sell that and buy 10 used cabs that would do way more on a tone quest than rolling the dice on a IIC+ to be your one.
I said "we are all" on a quest for tone, not "we are all" on a quest for a IIC+, please re-read things before replying with an essay that no one is going to read. This is a thread about the IIC+. Good for you if you like the IIablbgtq+- whatever.

Last edited:
Opinions are just that, and I'm happy for anyone who finds what they are looking for tonally. Personally the IIC+ and the SLO have the best lead tones I've experienced. For rhythm tones however, I prefer a good IIB or a IVb. (..Or a Rev C Dual Rec.)

Latest posts

Back