Mark V Popping on Channel Switch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L5man

Reaction score
Lots has been written over the years regarding the Mark V's Channel Switch popping design flaw. There has never been a solution identified, as it is most likely a timing (RC) or capacitor grounding issue in the mute circuit areas. If there is any update of a solution, I haven't seen it documented. I sent my Mark V:90 back to Mesa Engineering several years ago, and it was returned with the usual "Everything's fine" answer. So my question - On the newer models Mark V:25, MarkV:35, and Mark VII, was this design flaw fixed or do they still have the pop when channel switching?

I have a Mark V: 90 combo. I have not experience popping on channel switching, and many others have stated likewise. The only time there is popping is when you have channels on the 10 watt Class A mode, as per the manual.

Mine will pop sometimes. Depends on the power modes set for each channel or if the CH3 is set to triode on the back panel. CH1 and CH2 will run the tubes in pentode mode unless you are using 10W power setting as that will force triode mode to be switched. Also, if you are using tube tracking at 45W vs diode setting with CH1 or CH2 that can make a pop sound when changing to those channels.

Back