Mark V Strat users

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cragginshred

Reaction score
Just a few questions for the Strat users out there. Anyone employing a volume pot mod aka treble bleed mod for blues tones with your MV? Many comments are made when I inquire of this set up from the coil tap perspective, however, it is not the same. I recently got rid of a Carvin CT 6 and a PRS (to get a Music man Petrucci axe -which has amazing cleans too),.... anyhow all three of these guitars have great cleans (Petrucci is by far the best, getting even Tele tones with it's split coil mode) but they are not Strats, nor are they designed to be. So, in the context of Strat tone -I have one with a Dimarzio cruiser in the neck, and another with an area 58, both guitars have the .001 cap on the vol pot for amazing tones unattainable without it. Interestingly, the PRS and the CT 6 had a cap on their vol pot, however, despite their marginal clean up with roll off, it's not the same as a strat, likely due to their disposition toward a humbucker. So, now that my rambling is over who out there can share some cool modes, tones, settings you are using your Mark V with Strats.

Here is my strat thru a mkv, this was before I put in the Lindy Fralin vintage hots, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHCqO7SUimU&feature=youtube_gdata

Reza,
thanks for the link to your vid! Were you using the eq on any of the channels? The vol pot mod I spoke of with allow you to use some of the medium to higher gain settings, roll it back to 4 or 7 and you will be blown away at the tones you will get out of your strat. Eventually I will get around to a youtube post of this.

Channel 3 has the EQ engaged...I would mod my strat but after putting Lindy Fralins in there, its a totally awesome vibe..wouldnt want to change it now...

I play strats and tele,s but i mainly play mark 3,s.I,d thought about getting a treble bleed capacitor installed, but now i like the fact that when i roll back my volume(on the guitar to lessen the gain/output)it darkens the tone for rythmn and when i max the volume it brightens my sound up and gives more definition as i add more gain/volume for lead and heavy rhytmn work.

I play Suhr's with my Mark V, one is HSS, and one is SSS

They both have a cap to retain clarity when rolling back on the volume, and yes- it works great with this amp!

Shogun, I am glad at least one person in the forums can testify to the mod. You simply cannot get the same effect by lowering your gain at the amp, Also a huge point is it does NOTHING to your existing full volume tone, it does however, prevent muddiness from happening as you roll back the volume knob. As I said previously, this only occurs with single coil pups the split coils and any humbucker based pup cannot get the same effect even with the capacitor on em.

Hey dude,

The suhr's come with it by default, not sure how it works, but it works on humbuckers as well.. I personally couldn't go back to playing a volume pot without this setup!

how did you get turned on to the suhr axe? I saw their site they look cool. I just got rid of a Carvin cT 6 and a PRS custom 22 to get a MM Petrucci axe,.. best decision I ever made. So, any new guitar talk is waaay down the line. Nevertheless gimme the lowdown on the Suhrs..

Just posted this very quick clip. The strat and mrk v are very compatable. I always thought about doing the volume cap but never did. I'm getting use to presence cut when I roll teh knob, but still would be nice to try one without that cut:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=42520

I actually went from EBMM's to Suhr.. I had 2 axis SS's and 2 JP's. I still love those guitars, but the Suhr's are on a different level in tone, quality, etc. That said, their price is what it is for those reasons.. EBMM's are still sick guitars in my opinion.. So far, I've yet to play anything that tops a Suhr..

thats a pretty amazing statement and if you had not had a MM JP I would say you are crazy..... I will have to look in to them in the future. Did you keep the stock Suhr pups and where did you get yours?

Hahah... I actually prefer Suhr pickups over any other pickup that I've tried! I got both my guitars from a shop in Quebec - Diffusion Audio (boutique stuff!)

I actually played my older JP last night at a buddies house-- I still really dig it, but there IS indeed a noticeable difference in quality! That said, if I got offered some sick endorsement deal with EB, i'd exclusively use their products.. They are quite sexy!

Latest posts

Back