Mark IV Head or Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
I used to get some microphonic squealing with an ROV due to speaker vibration, but only at higher volumes. I did however like the sound of the ROV's C90 and the 2x12 Rectifier cab. I would like to to add a Mark IV to my rig.

Anyone use the Mark IV combo w/ a 2x12 Rectifier Cab? What speaker in a combo do you recommend? Should I just go with a head? My DR sounds good with the 2x12 so I'm assuming the Mark will as well.

I have a MKIV combo and a Recto 2X12 cab. I love the MKIV with the cab and I personally don't care for the brightness of the combos C-90. I have ordered a head shell for my MKIV so I only have to haul the head and cab rather than the combo and cab.

I like the thump of the cab, BTW it has the stock V30's in it. I would buy the head.....IMHO

The other guitar player in our band uses a mark iv 1x12 combo and the thing sounds great. He's got a bad back so being the great pal that I am I end up carrying his amp for him a good bit and will warn you of this... the combos are heavy as hell!!! I often ask if he's hiding Jimmy Hoffa in the **** thing. :)

Mesa combos are ridiculously heavy!!! Almost as heavy as a 4x12, but you only get one little handle to carry it with! If not, you have to bend down to pick it up each time with 2 hands and you can really kill your back.

My future plans are to get a 1x12 EV thiele and convert the C+ to a head. The sound of the old EV's and the Mark series are very very nice. They really bring a different feel to the amp altogether. I once jammed with a guy and decided to plug in the C+ into my 4x12 *cough cough*. I think I prefer the sound going with the combo's speaker. Plus, you can turn up a little louder with a smaller setup. A 4x12 really brings down the volume knob if you can't afford it.

When it came to the Mark IV the choice for me was easy, short head. This not only makes it easier to move, but also allows for use in a number of speaker combinations and setups such as in a rack, or on top of a 1-12 cube, a verticle 2-12, or the way I currently use it on top of a 4-10 cab. It also fits quite nicely on top of a rack.

I've always preferred combos over the head/speaker separate option. I like to be able to use the combo by itself at home and I can also use it like a head with 4x12 etc... or in combination. The only problem is the weight but if you're going to pack around an external 2x12 or 4x12 what's the problem packing a combo? And packing a head and external speaker cabinet around is more of a hassle in most situations than moving a combo. Sound wise the combo gives me more tonal options.

I've always preferred the head/cab option...allows for more versatility in speakers/cabs....easier to move around....switch either part and you're not losing eveything....and transporting in pieces is always easier for me.

Never considered the weight before. Something to think about. Back ain't what it used to be! Now if I can just find one to sit down with!

What about the Triaxis w/ a 2:90? Been reading about them a lot. If it has anywhere near the 2c+ range and Mark IV, that would peak my interest.

Think I may have just Hi-Jacked my own post! That's a first.

clutch71 said:
Never considered the weight before. Something to think about. Back ain't what it used to be! Now if I can just find one to sit down with!

What about the Triaxis w/ a 2:90? Been reading about them a lot. If it has anywhere near the 2c+ range and Mark IV, that would peak my interest.

Think I may have just Hi-Jacked my own post! That's a first.

HA! If you're concerned about weight, the Triaxis/2:90 will make the mark IV feel like a paperweight! It's a two man job.

IME the Triaxis does not have all the mark IV tones. Though this is from listening to a friend's setup. Though he was trying to be petrucci and wasn't going for those tones. I've tried a couple times to dial in a triaxis, but it was a PITA.

PITA? Not familiar with that one.

So I take the MK IV head would be lighter thatn a TA/2:90. Well at this rate I'm pretty certain I won't get to play either before I buy it. I haven't found a MKIV (well once at a guitar show but I had my kids with me and didn't want them to inadvertently knock over a 25000 guitar) in all of my travels let alone a TA/2:90 to try.

I'm new to Mesa and tube amps. Maybe I should not fool with

PITA? Not familiar with that one.

PITA = "pain in the a$$".

I have both a Mark IV combo and a Triaxis/2:ninety. The Triaxis/2:ninety will be heavier than a Mark IV head.

From my experience, the Triaxis can get 90% of the Mark IV tone and does a good approximation of the other Mark series amps. It's not easy getting a good Rectifier tone, but you can get pretty close if you use an external EQ. Actually, an external EQ makes the Triaxis much more versital, and will allow it to pretty much nail the Mark IV tone.

Hey Clutch,

Lang Music had a used Mark IV combo on consignment. It didn't last long but there was one in the central Ohio area. I've had my eye on the Mark IV for a while too. I messed around and missed my opportunity to play the one at Lang. Good luck on the Mark IV hunt! :D

Dammit! They are usually good at calling me. I was hunting a DR at the time so that might have been why. I check in about every other week to see what they have. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not going to be in the market for another year or so but it never hurts to look and experiment. If I see one in the mean time I'll let you know.

I've been playing my way through most of the boogie line there at Lang's. A 5:25 is on my short list, followed by a Mark IV. I'll keep you posted if I find another Mark IV in the area.

Latest posts

Back