Mark III w/ 105 Transformer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimson King

Reaction score
Have a post on the Mark specific board, but was reposting here in hopes of getting some opinions and because I'm no longer unsure if its a 105 (though still wondering if it's simul-class).

Long story short, came across this amp during my search for a IIC/IIC+. I placed a deposit given what I understand is the general rarity of MK III w/ 105 transformers. Would appreciate your opinions on this amp - particular as to how it sounds, how it compares to the IIC+ and how cool/collectable it is.

Hope this isn't construed as another MK III v. IIC+ post, but I thought the 105 makes this a novel question (haven't found another similar post yet). Thanks!

The 105 is a big transformer and it is easy to tell if it is a 105, just look at the numbers stamped on it. There usually is a sticker on the back saying it's simul-class although sometimes they're taken off. Your tube choice will make a world of difference in the type of tone you get, especially the 12ax7 in the V1 position. That's where the amp goes nuts. When you find the particular tube the amp likes, it will breathe fire. It's an all around incredible amp, top shelf in every respect, very rugged and totally professional. The llC+ is a different animal, same breed, like lions and tigers.

Markedman said:
The 105 is a big transformer and it is easy to tell if it is a 105, just look at the numbers stamped on it. There usually is a sticker on the back saying it's simul-class although sometimes they're taken off. Your tube choice will make a world of difference in the type of tone you get, especially the 12ax7 in the V1 position. That's where the amp goes nuts. When you find the particular tube the amp likes, it will breathe fire. It's an all around incredible amp, top shelf in every respect, very rugged and totally professional. The llC+ is a different animal, same breed, like lions and tigers.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help!

I have a MK3 black dot with a 105 tranny. Great amp!!! More aggressive tone than the 2c+.

The Simul-Class specification will be on the Output Transformer, not the Power Transformer (the 105). It will either have the letters "SC" in the code, or spell out "Simul Class." Also, the back right switch should say simul-class if it was such an amp.

Elpelotero said:
The Simul-Class specification will be on the Output Transformer, not the Power Transformer (the 105). It will either have the letters "SC" in the code, or spell out "Simul Class." Also, the back right switch should say simul-class if it was such an amp.

+1

If your amp is simulclass, just look at the Output Transformer and (in Mark IIIs), it should say "Simul-Class).

As far as the tone goes, the Mark IIIs are much more aggressive than the Mark IIC+ as far gone goes, and it tends to sound brighter because of the extra gain. The area that seems to contrast these two amazing amps is in the feel of the amp.

It's really tough to describe what "feel" is, but one of the ways I found the Mark IIC+ more responsive is when you change your pick attack. If you hit a chord hard, the amp responds with edge and bite, and when you back off and lightly pick an arpeggio, the notes are easily identifiable with a little hair around them. The Mark III responds to pick attack too, but not to the degree that the Mark IIC+ does.

fretout said:
Elpelotero said:

+1

If your amp is simulclass, just look at the Output Transformer and (in Mark IIIs), it should say "Simul-Class).

As far as the tone goes, the Mark IIIs are much more aggressive than the Mark IIC+ as far gone goes, and it tends to sound brighter because of the extra gain. The area that seems to contrast these two amazing amps is in the feel of the amp.

It's really tough to describe what "feel" is, but one of the ways I found the Mark IIC+ more responsive is when you change your pick attack. If you hit a chord hard, the amp responds with edge and bite, and when you back off and lightly pick an arpeggio, the notes are easily identifiable with a little hair around them. The Mark III responds to pick attack too, but not to the degree that the Mark IIC+ does.
I agree 100%. The 2c+ is more touch responsive.

Latest posts

Back