Mark III simul class redstripe "PULL-very much -DEEP ???????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megavoice

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new on this board,

I've read a lot of here but nobody of the Mark 3 owners complains about the "PULL DEEP"-funktion.

I own my redstripe, combo (EV speaker), for about 22 years but still I always get upset working with the PULL DEEP fuktion.
Pushed in it has got some kind of a razor-type sound missing a lot of mids and bass, but when pulled out it sounds overblown and overboosted.
Is this normal for all "stripe" boogies or could this be a malfunction. The only influence I can get on is the EQ but with no other knob.

I would be very much interrested if Mesa had probably eliminated later this diskrepancy, and what electronic parts could be changed to make this better?

What can tell other "stripe"-owners?-Please tell me!!!!

BTW i've 2 Paulas with bursty No. 3 in bridge-position

Thanks

I experienced something similar with my red stripe.
I believe the Fat function is specifically for use with single coil pick ups.
I tried with with a strat and it sounded great. With my humbucker guitras it sounded way too bassy.

It was too boomy through my EVM-12 cab but is great through the Recto 4x12. My bass knob is at about 0.5, though.

+1 to the responses given. The pull fat was intended for single coil guitars. It sounds good with a humbucker only when paired with a massive cab and huge wattage.

Elpelotero said:
when paired with a massive cab and huge wattage.

fortunately I have that :D I want to get the next Coli that comes up and go for some even huger wattage :twisted:

But yes, I was previously playing through an Avatar 2x12 with EVMs, and Pull Deep was completely unusable.

I've never had a problem with it, I use it ALWAYS..............pulled out, I don't use single coils though.

COLISEUM'S RULE!!!

i run a telecaster through a no-strip MIII & i usually keep the deep switch engaged, but i keep my bass setting @ one. i noticed that the deep switch is active *after* the preamp stages much like the presence control: plugged into the effects loop return, the deep switch still functions. As i understand it, this is also where the GEQ sits (for those that have them).

Well guys, thanks for respond.

I've always thougt it would be fine to run it through a big cab but I want to use my reddy as a COMBO. When Mesa offers a combo it should work like that. There are people on this earth who don't want to shoot cannonballs with.

Yes, you're right when you say "Pulled Out" is for single-coils as it is also described in the owners manual. But "Pushed In", I say, is not for humbuckers and any other type of picups because it's too weak, but "Pulled Out" the beauty of the Boogie -sound is too much covered, it's a kind of distroying component. It's just like using an external "low budget" booster.
A friend of mine went through with a "Tony Iommy" an there was nothing different (in "Push"-position) except it was a bit louder.

The best solution, I think, would be a "Pushed In"-Mod to have a poti (replaced "Direct Out") for variable alterations.
Think if this would be done it would be really one of the finest amps in the world.

Any idea?

I also use the pull deep always on but as previously posted, its with my strat. I have EMGs which can be extremely clean and thedeep adds that fatness needed. I use a thiele/EV cab and with the deep pulled, I can pull off a fairly close "Twin" sound. the MK III is also Simul so I don't know how much the lack of low-end from the EL34s balances the 6L6's and the deep but to me, its the best.
Keep experimenting.

I just recently got a III black dot. I run the Pull Deep "pulled" all the time with my Jackson's. I think is too thin with it pushed in. I have tried it through my Recto 4x12 cab with V30's and a 2x12 with EVM12L's.

I played around with the III some more today. I figured out that I can get a better sound if I boost the first 2 sliders on the GEQ with the Pull Deep pushed in, then I can with is pulled. As of now I have the knob pushed in, but this may change. I just got it Thursday so I am still figuring out my tone.

Latest posts

Back