Mark III, DC-3, DC-5 which one for 80's metal/classic rock

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surbas

Reaction score
Newbie here. I've never owned a Mesa, thinking about picking up a used one. Which Mesa is better for 80's metal, classic rock and Blues? I don't care for the super scooped sound or recto type of gain. I don't want to spend more than $800. I play a PRS McCarty.

Yep, MkIII. IMO, the green stripe yields the most control over this type sound and takes NOS input tubes well for real tone shaping. Does Whitesnake and Steve Stevens perfectly and backs down to do Page/Zep stuff perfectly. I absolutely love my MkIII for this stuff.

As owner of both, I disagree so far. I found the MKIII to have a spongy low end not to suitable to heavy rock. It did the blues thing well and I used it for a lot of jazz/fusion things but I just didn't like the low end. I find the DC5 to be a lot tighter in the lows. It can still sound sweet but it doesn't have that mush that the MKIII has.

Mark III is perfect for it...but I wouldn't dismiss a DC-5 either.

~Nep~

dcgdc5 said:
As owner of both, I disagree so far. I found the MKIII to have a spongy low end not to suitable to heavy rock. It did the blues thing well and I used it for a lot of jazz/fusion things but I just didn't like the low end. I find the DC5 to be a lot tighter in the lows. It can still sound sweet but it doesn't have that mush that the MKIII has.
Well, that depends on what Mark III youre talking about. The Simuls are the ones with the slightly spongy feel. The non simuls are tight and in your face.

I've used the DC-5 for all of the above. I think for certain heavier stuff it needs an OD in front of it but otherwise it does a fine job. It can be modded for more distortion as well.

kdorsey said:
Yep, MkIII. IMO, the green stripe yields the most control over this type sound and takes NOS input tubes well for real tone shaping. Does Whitesnake and Steve Stevens perfectly and backs down to do Page/Zep stuff perfectly. I absolutely love my MkIII for this stuff.
+100
I run my Simul in Class A - EL-34s only. Only gets mushy with insane gain.

I used my DC-5 for old school metal and classic rock for years.
If you're comparing the DC-5 to a 100 watt Mk III, then the III will win.
If you're comparing a DC-10 to the 100 Mk III, I would prefer the DC hands down.

Individual eq's for each channel and the fact that the DC won't get spongy no matter how much you turn up the gain wins for me.

Of course....mushiness in any Mesa amp is directly related to gain and eq settings.

The III is a great amp, I just prefer the DC.

My main go to amp is my DC-5 hands down but that said; when I need a more 80's sound I always crank up my Mark III. To me it nails that sound perfectly. From classic rock sound and the higher gain tones of the 80's thrash and even hair metal. lol! Granted, the DC will do those sounds too but to me it's more modern voiced and needs to have those 80's tones coaxed out more than the MKIII. It does that right off the bat.

Back