Mark IIC+ Retubbing

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'm looking to re-tube my amp, it's a Simul Class head, I have decided to go ahead with SED Winged C's in the power section, gonna do the EL34/6L6 combo.

But unsure about the pre-amp, does anyone have any tube and/or location (V1, V2 etc) recommendations that they swear by?

I definitely want to shy away from Mesa tubes, not that there's anything wrong with them, just haven't really experimented much and would now like to.

For reference, I play 80's thrash style rhythm guitar...Smooth high gain with clear definition is what matters to me.

Also any information/experience regarding which tubes are known to be safe, or which are known to problematic or unsafe in the C+ is also welcomed.

I am using Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes in my MIIC+ Simulclass. They are quiet and sound real good. Make sure they are tested properly. I bought mine here. http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/tubes.htm

mullard el34`s and tung-sol 6l6 , that gave a perfect power balance between the tubes .

Sounds awesome also.

I've always been a little scared to hurt my amps with non-mesa power tubes. Is this a silly fear?

Back